• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reactions from the Pro Peloton to #USPSConspiracy (USADA) - post here

The USADA - Armstrong thread is getting dense and difficult to navigate but regardless, we need a separate place to keep track of (even limited) reaction from the pro peloton to #USPSConspiracy.

Please post the following:

1) RIDER NAME
2) QUOTE
3) Link/URL

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Do we need a different thread for rider's reaction to the USADA Witch Hunt?
Be much easier to find reactions regarding that lol.

"Conspiracy" lol again.
Riders do not wear Tinfoil Helmets Joe.
Unless Giro has some new helmets being unveiled at the tour?

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hayden Roulston (@HaydenRoulston)
6/13/12 22:51
Seeing dumb comments on twitter about lance annoys me, esp by certain people who would still ask for his autograph if they ran into him!

Great thread, and absolutely necessary.

GERAINT THOMAS
Geraint Thomas hopes Lance Armstrong clears name
"He has had numerous allegations thrown at him through the years but hopefully he hasn't done anything wrong. Hopefully people can let it go."

ÓSCAR PEREIRO
1 2 3 4 5
In recent times no athlete has been more perspecuted and tested than Armstrong, and that in a sport where they do test for and control EVERYTHING. And if he hasn't been suspended after over 500 tests and being under surveillance 24 hours a day, well, allow me to have my doubts about whether or not these accusations are unfounded and are based on strong evidence. This is cycling! And lastly, I'll also say that if all of this is confirmed by the evidence I will condemn him too, but right now there's absolutely nothing! I repeat: if this is confirmed, I would be extremely disappointed too. I raced with him. I admired him, and will always admire him until proven otherwise.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
The USADA - Armstrong thread is getting dense and difficult to navigate but regardless, we need a separate place to keep track of (even limited) reaction from the pro peloton to #USPSConspiracy.

Please post the following:

1) RIDER NAME
2) QUOTE
3) Link/URL

How would you have reacted if you hadn't been caught yourself, Joe? Would you have passed the test or been named and shamed here?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
I'll start...

CHRIS HORNER

“I don’t believe Armstrong has cheated in any way to win those victories and he’s gone through an insane amount of testing. Do we have pictures of it? Video or testing? Because without that you really don’t have anything.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-horner-i-dont-believe-armstrong-cheated

The Horner quote is pretty great...short of video footage of the guy shooting up there is nothing to see here so move on folks I have a nice motorcycle collection to deal with ect...as there seems to be no actual video footage of Sandusky committing what he is accused of I wonder if Horner has the same no video/no real proof standard...Horner doesn't come off as the brightest bulb on the tree...

May 26, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Off topic. Admins please remove. I really would like to see this thread become a useful resource for us. Let's see who's who!

Really? Sorry, I thought it was about 'dignity' and the OP lacking any in this instance.

Anybody else could have started this thread and it wouldn't have looked completely off.

Whatever. You're welcome. Over and out on this sidetrack.

hrotha said:
Great thread, and absolutely necessary.

Parrulo said:
this thread is a good idea, let's stick to reactions tho.

Thanks, guys. Inspiration for this came from whomever it was who first posted about Thomas's reactions in the main USADA vs. Lance thread.

Let's keep this thread reasonably on-topic and stick to documenting the reactions from pro cyclists (and triathletes, too, and former riders, current DS's??) and providing appropriate commentary on said reactions. Want this to be a resource that's easy to access and doesn't require a lot of wading through typical Clinic in-fighting ;)

I think Thomas is 'on message'.

Sky pump millions into cycling and don't want it's image dragging through the dirt again.

It would be harsh to vilify a young lad, who was knee high to a grasshopper when Lance started winning things in cycling, who just wants to please the guys who pay him handsomely.

King Of The Wolds said:
I think Thomas is 'on message'.

Sky pump millions into cycling and don't want it's image dragging through the dirt again.

It would be harsh to vilify a young lad, who was knee high to a grasshopper when Lance started winning things in cycling, who just wants to please the guys who pay him handsomely.

No he's not bang on.

He's fortunate to live in times where's there's not the pressure to dope like in years gone by. Better he and Sky understand what others have been through so we never see a repeat of 1999-2005/09-10.

He also knows better. He's not so oblivious to know that doping wa rife at USPS. Much better to say nothing at all then play the game of surpise.

thehog said:
No he's not bang on.

He's fortunate to live in times where's there's not the pressure to dope like in years gone by. Better he and Sky understand what others have been through so we never see a repeat of 1999-2005/09-10.

He also knows better. He's not so oblivious to know that doping wa rife at USPS. Much better to say nothing at all then play the game of surpise.

I didn't say he was bang on. I said he's 'on message'. Badly advised.

He has a relationship with the BBC (he writes an occasional blog for the website), so if they ask him for some comments, and his bosses at British Cycling/Sky ask him to say what he did, what's a young lad supposed to do?

canned response

King Of The Wolds said:
I didn't say he was bang on. I said he's 'on message'. Badly advised.

He has a relationship with the BBC (he writes an occasional blog for the website), so if they ask him for some comments, and his bosses at British Cycling/Sky ask him to say what he did, what's a young lad supposed to do?

I don't know why anyone who wasn't immediately dependent on Lance financially or for continued employment or future benefits would say anything other than the most bland, neutral, non-controversial template-speak. Something like, "It's an unfortunate moment for the sport of cycling but hopefully this investigation/anti-doping hearing will either exonerate Lance and officially clear him, or confirm the allegations, after which we can all move cycling towards a cleaner, less-suspect future."

May 29, 2012
Visit site
1) Andrew Talansky - Team Garmin-Barracuda rider

2) "Don't care what you think of @lancearmstrong, USADA really shouldn't repeatedly accuse someone of something with ZERO hard evidence."

"If you have evidence, convict someone. If you don't, then it's done. Either way, for the sake of cycling, I hope this is resolved quickly."

3)
33oi8og.png
*Both tweets were soon deleted but were found here: http://www.xistnc.nl/eyserbos/tweets.php5?account=andrewtalansky

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Thanks, guys. Inspiration for this came from whomever it was who first posted about Thomas's reactions in the main USADA vs. Lance thread.

As a Canadian who admires Steve Bauer, who used to ride with Lance, who was on Motorola, and who now has a Pro team racing in Europe...I would love to hear him say something. Even if it was bland, or had something circumspect in the language of his statement.

Com'on Steve, stand up for clean cycling.