• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reality check for the doubters...LANCE IS BACK!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I've decided not to specifically name those of you doubters//complainers/blamers/haters who are presently stewing in your angst. It must be very difficult for you to handle this historic moment. I don't mean to rub it in, but you deserve it!

Yes, Lance IS in the drivers seat.

Now, you'll just have to wait for the Mountains. In the mean time, I feel GOOOOOOOD!

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
I've decided not to specifically name those of you doubters//complainers/blamers/haters who are presently stewing in your angst. It must be very difficult for you to handle this historic moment. I don't mean to rub it in, but you deserve it!

Now, you'll just have to wait for the Mountains. In the mean time, I feel GOOOOOOOD!

LOL, :p:p:p

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
To be fair, I think there should be one catch all topic for this very purpose. Those who wish to state their pleasure at today's events can do so, others can avoid it (if they can resist the temptation).:p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
he's back alright...... to his old habits. After blitzing the field he hadn't even raised his respiratory rate after that ride as he casually strolled off his bike at the end. In this sport, when things look too good to be true, they are.

A

Anonymous

ProfTournesol said:
he's back alright...... to his old habits. After blitzing the field he hadn't even raised his respiratory rate after that ride as he casually strolled off his bike at the end. In this sport, when things look too good to be true, they are.

Do you honestly believe that to be true?

Really?

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
To be fair, I think there should be one catch all topic for this very purpose. Those who wish to state their pleasure at today's events can do so, others can avoid it (if they can resist the temptation).:p

I wonder what the LA HATE/LOVE ratio is in this forum? 5/1 perhaps.

A

Anonymous

mambo#5 said:
I wonder what the LA HATE/LOVE ratio is in this forum? 5/1 perhaps.

Much higher on the hater side.

I'd guesstimate 12:1

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:

isnt that the thread called OFFICIAL STAGE 4 TTT THREAD?
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=1862

I think this is definately a case of someone wanting their name on a thread

nobody said:
He is back because he was riding like he did in his second part of career... EPO, blood doping or so areclearly still there.

I simply mean that he hasn't done anything yet. He managed a tenth in the Time Trial, caught the break in day 3, and was part of the strongest team in cycling on day 4. We have no idea what he will be like in the mountains. None.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:

2yl9ow6.jpg

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I kinda wanted LA to do well at the tour, but now i want AC to just own him on stage 7 to shut up all these LA fanboys who seem to pull it whenever LA does something good.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to interrupt the Love-hate posts. I do not want to pick sides but Lance seems to deserve some compliments from his performance today. Lance seemed to do doing most of the pulling today. Lots of turns at the front and long turns. My impression was that he was the strongest rider on Astana today and almost single handily willed Astana to a 1st place finish. That being said Lance's efforts today just made it easier for Contador to win. While my impression of Lance improved today I still don't see him beating Contador but a 2nd place finish looks like a real possibility as the the GC race seems to be narrowing to just Astana riders. I have no clue why they invited all these other teams to Astana and Columbia's private tour. I think after today its very likely that Lance takes the jersey in stage 7 and keeps it to stage 18.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
nobody said:
He is back because he was riding like he did in his second part of career... EPO, blood doping or so areclearly still there.

In case you didn't know, there's a separate forum for discussing doping.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I kinda wanted LA to do well at the tour, but now i want AC to just own him on stage 7 to shut up all these LA fanboys who seem to pull it whenever LA does something good.

I think the exact same thing. I am by no means a hater sure i respect the guy, dominating a drug riddled sport for 7 years, i guess he was only levelling the field but i just dont get how some of you guys are so blind to what happens in the pro peloton. But on the other hand i am by no means a fanboy

clydesdale said:
I simply mean that he hasn't done anything yet. He managed a tenth in the Time Trial, caught the break in day 3, and was part of the strongest team in cycling on day 4. We have no idea what he will be like in the mountains. None.

I have to admit Clyde makes a pretty good point. But kudos to Lance for making the break.

nobody said:

As i previously said everyone does it. Its part of cycling and it aint going away.

clydesdale said:
I really don't understand how this proves lance is back. If he is in the lead after stage 7 you can crow all you want.

I think all you fanboys are a bit over the top (aswell as some of the haters, if both sides could cool it a bit, tha would be good). Atleast wait till a bit further into the tour before announcing the death (haters) or the return (fanboys) of the king

Robert Merivel said:

You do know that each post is limited to 1000 characters. You are gonna need a shatload of posts.:D....... Cos that ratio you guys gave before i dont think even comes close.:eek: And im being serious

ProfTournesol said:

I kind of thought that too. He didnt even look tired after getting off the bike. Got off like he hadnt even broke a sweat.

Chomsky said:
Sorry to interrupt the Love-hate posts. I do not want to pick sides but Lance seems to deserve some compliments from his performance today. Lance seemed to do doing most of the pulling today. Lots of turns at the front and long turns. My impression was that he was the strongest rider on Astana today and almost single handily willed Astana to a 1st place finish. That being said Lance's efforts today just made it easier for Contador to win. While my impression of Lance improved today I still don't see him beating Contador but a 2nd place finish looks like a real possibility as the the GC race seems to be narrowing to just Astana riders. I have no clue why they invited all these other teams to Astana and Columbia's private tour. I think after today its very likely that Lance takes the jersey in stage 7 and keeps it to stage 18.

I think Lance was going for the yellow jersey, which the TEAM didn't want to defend. So, I agree, Lance was putting in some monster pulls. Frankly, I think it might be a bit of psychological blow for Lance not to be in yellow heading into the mountains since he won't have the team riding purely for him AND Contador will be free to respond and counter-attack on the first attack from the other GC contenders (pretenders after today?). Obviously lots of conjecture on my part, but it certainly LOOKED like he was going for yellow. Friday should be an explosive day.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
ProfTournesol said:

Umm... sounds like you are talking about Cancellara!!!!:eek:

A

Anonymous

Juan Speeder said:
Much higher on the hater side.

I'd guesstimate 12:1

Funny, that is also the ratio of people who are real fans of cycling versus those who only come around 3 weeks of the year and only when their hero is riding.

It is also the ratio of people who know what they are talking about regarding cycling versus those who know what kind of jock strap their hero wears.

As to Lance, he will not win and all of you fanboys will be gone in 2 weeks if it takes that long. Dang.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Funny, that is also the ratio of people who are real fans of cycling versus those who only come around 3 weeks of the year and only when their hero is riding.

It is also the ratio of people who know what they are talking about regarding cycling versus those who know what kind of jock strap their hero wears.

As to Lance, he will not win and all of you fanboys will be gone in 2 weeks if it takes that long. Dang.

LOL, :p:D:p:D

amp300 said:
+1................:D

I have to accept Lance has been impressive so far. But it is too early to make any celebrations yet. I also have to add that everybody knew that Astana had the strongest team, so up to this point they have done what was expected of them. Whether Lance wins or loses the Tour we need to wait and stop just celebrating every time Lance stands up on his bike.

El Imbatido said:
I think the exact same thing. I am by no means a hater sure i respect the guy, dominating a drug riddled sport for 7 years, i guess he was only levelling the field but i just dont get how some of you guys are so blind to what happens in the pro peloton. But on the other hand i am by no means a fanboy

I have to admit Clyde makes a pretty good point. But kudos to Lance for making the break.

As i previously said everyone does it. Its part of cycling and it aint going away.

I think all you fanboys are a bit over the top (aswell as some of the haters, if both sides could cool it a bit, tha would be good). Atleast wait till a bit further into the tour before announcing the death (haters) or the return (fanboys) of the king

You do know that each post is limited to 1000 characters. You are gonna need a shatload of posts.:D....... Cos that ratio you guys gave before i dont think even comes close.:eek: And im being serious

I kind of thought that too. He didnt even look tired after getting off the bike. Got off like he hadnt even broke a sweat.

I don't know, he looked pretty spent at the line. Plus it was him that cost himself the jersey after losing Contador's wheel at the line (at least I think that's who was ahead of him).