• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Recommendations for a travel case

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to be doing some air travel soon, and would like to bring my bike. Looking for some guidance on choosing a travel case and packing it. Thanks.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't use a hard case. Bikes can still get impact damage...If you have ever seen the baggage handlers at airports they really do chuck your stuff around.

I use a decent soft bike bag with a decent amount of padding and a separate space for wheels. What I do his get Bubble wrap. loads of it . It takes about 20 minutes to wrap my bike but its worth it, never had one issue.
I wrap every single bit of my bike. Cranks, derailleurs, bars, pedals, everything. 2 Layers.
I watched one baggage holder sling my bike on to that trolley thing. He really threw it. Not a issue once you bubble wrap it.
I also have a well padded wheel bag "fits 2 wheels" That fits in the bike bag. The wheels fit really snug no room to move.

This is the way to go IMO.

My friend bought a really expensive hard case and he still had damage, which is due to some of the baggage handlers who don't give a sh%%. Also I cover my bag with the fragile stickers you can get when you check in loads of them.

Have flown Auckland (NZ) - Paris twice with my Bike in one of these "Soft Style" cases - http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/R7BCWN2BB/title/route7-eva-bike-case.

No problems both times.
As above, pack and wrap REALLY well, fill in the left over space with some sort of filling material, I also cover with Fragile stickers (which I think makes F@#K all difference) make sure you have it well insured and then cross your fingers.

If you're out of time, or not confident with a Bike-Breakdown and Pack - take into a shop and ask for the service to be done for you.
My friend arrived in CDG, Paris to find her bike had been partially crushed in transit and was totally UN-rideable....some photos and a call to the insurance company and they OK'd the coverage on the spot.....new bike bought the next day....on we go.
Happy days!

I've been using a Biknd Helium with inflatable sidewalls for a few years now and it's been great. Just take off the bars and rear der, drop the seat and mount it to the frame. No wrapping and unwrapping needed. It's survived dozens of trips being thrown around by bogan Aus luggage handlers and I've never had a problem

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations.Still unsure on hard vs soft cases but I have to choose something shortly.

A few more questions.

Do you insure your bike against damage? Who with?

Can someone explain more about wrapping the frame with bubble wrap? Every tube? How many layers?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
I just bought a pair of these and booked Air Canada
http://www.evocsports.com/bike/bike-travel-bags/bike-travel-bag

Then I read this this morning

http://nsmb.com/air-canada-destroys-bike/

Bad timing for this article for me anyway.

It's not a Evoc debate, I still trust the bag. But in response to your question the debate is really hard case vs soft case.

Wow, I can't believe they would deny that claim at first. I'd be sick.

I suppose one could ship UPS or FEDEX too right? Possibly safer?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Boeing said:
I just bought a pair of these and booked Air Canada
http://www.evocsports.com/bike/bike-travel-bags/bike-travel-bag

Then I read this this morning

http://nsmb.com/air-canada-destroys-bike/

Bad timing for this article for me anyway.

It's not a Evoc debate, I still trust the bag. But in response to your question the debate is really hard case vs soft case.

Wow, I can't believe they would deny that claim at first. I'd be sick.

I suppose one could ship UPS or FEDEX too right? Possibly safer?

I think it is all a risk and shipping to Europe from the US is a pain and expensive. Bike hire is not an option for me because I ride a tall frame and my wife rides a small frame and typically both are not available. so if things go bad I'm sol

I considered a hard case like a Thule or Yak but where the heck would do you store 2 of those things

When I travel within the US, I always ship FedEx to my hotel/motel base. Its less expensive, and I think that they are a little easier on things. I have only used a hard case, but a friend who travels way more than me uses a soft case. Which brings up the next thought: would it be easier and/or cheaper to rent once you get to your destination (a lot of factors involved)?

Re:

jmdirt said:
When I travel within the US, I always ship FedEx to my hotel/motel base. Its less expensive, and I think that they are a little easier on things. I have only used a hard case, but a friend who travels way more than me uses a soft case. Which brings up the next thought: would it be easier and/or cheaper to rent once you get to your destination (a lot of factors involved)?
That would depend on a few things I guess. I'd make sure that if I was hiring a bike for any serious riding I would be able to get a suitable model and size. I would also be looking at things like pedals, saddles, fit measurements etc.

There would be nothing worse than planning an amazing cycling holiday and having to compromise your gear to your detriment and safety.

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Think about what you will be doing at the other end before you choose a case. I usually combine riding and driving holidays. A hard case is extremely hard to fit into a hire car In addition to the bike) whereas a soft bag can always be scrunched into a space somewhere. On my last big holiday I put the folded soft bag in the rear footwell, folded rear seats flat and put fully assembled bike on top of suitcase in the back.

Re hard vs soft, a survey of threads shows similar results from either PROVIDED you use plenty of additional packing. Most important, make sure you put spacers between front & rear forks as they are susceptible to side compression damage.

I started with a $80 soft bag with lots of bubble wrap & pipe insulation around frame. It survived several long trips with multiple transfers (= exposure to baggage handlers) just fine. Now using a Scicon Aerocomfort. Same result from bike safety angle but more $ does buy ease of movement and much faster packing!

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
A rigid case is IMO absolutely the only way to go - ideally should include an anti crush pole. I personally swear by the bikeboxalan - I have travelled around the world with mine, with not a single problem (yet!!!).

I have heard and read all the arguments for soft cases, but I would rather go with a bullet proof rigid case than trust the baggage handler to firstly actually work out that there is a fragile bike inside the soft case and secondly, to place it gently on the top of the stack.

http://bikeboxalan.co.uk/

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Cgrubb said:
A rigid case is IMO absolutely the only way to go - ideally should include an anti crush pole. I personally swear by the bikeboxalan - I have travelled around the world with mine, with not a single problem (yet!!!).

I have heard and read all the arguments for soft cases, but I would rather go with a bullet proof rigid case than trust the baggage handler to firstly actually work out that there is a fragile bike inside the soft case and secondly, to place it gently on the top of the stack.

I have to disagree. In-fact I was at my LBS just last week and they were taking a bike out of a very very expensive
hard case [ custom fit ] The bike had a big scratch/indentation on the down tube right across the decal from its journey home.
The only way to bullet proof your bike is to wrap it in loads of bubble wrap. I have used this method for years and not a mark on my bike. I also use a well padded soft bag. If you use a hardcase the handlers tend to treat them as though they are indestructible and chuck them around a bit more " seen it with my own eyes"
It takes me around half an hour to wrap my bike in bubble wrap. Every single part gets a good covering no spaces anywhere . Works every time.

Baggage handlers know full well what's in a bike bag and I also cover with shi% loads of fragile stickers.
Bubble your bike to death :D

ray j willings said:
Cgrubb said:

I have to disagree. In-fact I was at my LBS just last week and they were taking a bike out of a very very expensive
hard case [ custom fit ] The bike had a big scratch/indentation on the down tube right across the decal from its journey home.
The only way to bullet proof your bike is to wrap it in loads of bubble wrap. I have used this method for years and not a mark on my bike. I also use a well padded soft bag. If you use a hardcase the handlers tend to treat them as though they are indestructible and chuck them around a bit more " seen it with my own eyes"
It takes me around half an hour to wrap my bike in bubble wrap. Every single part gets a good covering no spaces anywhere . Works every time.

Baggage handlers know full well what's in a bike bag and I also cover with shi% loads of fragile stickers.
Bubble your bike to death :D

I've had very good experiences with my Monoc hard-shell case that I've had for over 10 years. I've never had a bike damaged (although the case has taken an absolute beating and has had quite a few home repairs). I fly with my bike a couple of times a year on average. At the airport on my way back from Maui last week, a guy was receiving his bike in a Evoc soft case that had been squashed into a non-bike-shaped parallelogram shape. I wasn't there when he opened it, but I imagine that the bike inside was severely damaged, if not destroyed. My C59 arrived in pristine condition (again) in my Monoc. Mine looks like this, just more beaten up.

http://s325.photobucket.com/user/wo...2-4643-842B-91D5B21403E5_zps5poizgpg.jpg.html

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Really its up to baggage handlers to treat our bags with a bit of respect. I have seen my bag go flying on more than one occasion over the years.
They know full well what's in the bags and it only takes a extra couple of seconds to be kind rather than throw it around.
Pleased that your case works fine. I know a few people who just use cardboard bike boxes and those frame protectors you get that wrap around the tubes and they have been ok. Maybe the cardboard says treat me nice and the bike bags shout chuck me around

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Airline ground crew have to unload arriving baggage and then reload departing baggage in a short time and in general they handle their jobs well. But baggage also gets bumped around on conveyor belts and during flight.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
Really its up to baggage handlers to treat our bags with a bit of respect. I have seen my bag go flying on more than one occasion over the years.
They know full well what's in the bags and it only takes a extra couple of seconds to be kind rather than throw it around.
Pleased that your case works fine. I know a few people who just use cardboard bike boxes and those frame protectors you get that wrap around the tubes and they have been ok. Maybe the cardboard says treat me nice and the bike bags shout chuck me around

Cardboard box with minimal handles and the baggage handlers can't get a good enough grip to really chuck it:)

I don't travel with my bike much, and always used to use just a standard cardboard bike box, until the day one tore badly and a few things fell out. Since then I still use the cardboard boxes, but do a bit of extra reinforcement, and make sure everything is strapped or taped to the frame.
For my last big trip (multiple international flights), my wife and I took ordinary cardboard bike boxes and reinforced them internally in key locations with plywood attached with construction glue (in the corners and around the lifting holes is usually where they tear or crush). Package the bike well wrapped in bubble wrap, and padded out with all the rest of my bike gear until the box was just shy of the 32kg allowance:). Then instead of just taping it up, I wrapped the whole box in clear adhesive wrap, the kind kids use to cover their schoolbook. Double layer over any corners or seams.
Finally, I attached some rollerblade type wheels off an old suitcase to two of the corners, and a decent piece of webbing (both screwed through the box to some short bits of timber on the inside) to use as a handle when towing the box through terminals & city streets.
Total cost was about $20 for two bike boxes, most of it on the adhesive book wrap. We had some old suitcases lying around at work that were for the tip from which I scavenged the wheels, but it's easy to pick them up at tip-shop recycling centres, garage sales etc.
Removing just a few screws allowed the boxes to be flattened for storage when not in use (or to take up less space in the car).

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

avanti said:
Airline ground crew have to unload arriving baggage and then reload departing baggage in a short time and in general they handle their jobs well. But baggage also gets bumped around on conveyor belts and during flight.

I'm sure they do but I have witnessed on more then one occasion my bike bag and others being chucked around with no consideration "big air"

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is a company that ships bikes
https://www.bikeflights.com/pack
I have no personal knowledge of them.

By the way their packing instructions, like most, omit one important thing: remember to include all the tools you needed when you broke down the bike plus a cutting tool (and also fresh tape to use for a return flight).