• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Recommendations for a Velocity A23 build

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been following various debates about wider rims, and would now like to give them a try. Mr current set-up is 28 spoke Ambrosio Excellights on Ambrosio hubs. I weigh 85 kgs, and have always been light on decent wheels. Does anyone have experience of the A23 rims, and if so can they suggest a decent, lightish, strongish build? I should add that the rear hub needs to be Campagnolo 10 compatible.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
28 hole front 2x, 32 hole rear 3x, DT Comp or Sapim Race spokes, brass nips not alloy, DT hubs.

Bad advice. Those wheels will last forever and need almost no maintenance. The industry will collapse if folks ride things that last and don't always get the latest and greatest. RDV are you trying to kill jobs?;)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Black Dog said:
Bad advice. Those wheels will last forever and need almost no maintenance. The industry will collapse if folks ride things that last and don't always get the latest and greatest. RDV are you trying to kill jobs?;)

:D Ha! The greatest killer is the version I'm riding; A23's 36h front and rear, laced to my Edco Super G hubs with Sapim Race spokes, brass nips. Have been riding them for over a year now, never had to true them, and don't plan to in the next 9 years! Funny thing is that this maxed out set up is only about 75g heavier than the one I just recommended to the OP..

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
28 hole front 2x, 32 hole rear 3x, DT Comp or Sapim Race spokes, brass nips not alloy, DT hubs.

Thank you for the advice. The DT240 hubs are about £340 a pair in the UK. What do you think of the cheaper DT offerings the 340s and new 350s?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Not sure of anything other than the 240's DT wise. Since you're in the UK I think you can get really good deals on Miche hubs, which would be cheaper than DT but same quality. Look for Miche's Racing Box hubs, they're great for the money. Could even look for Edco Racer or Super G hubs, same as DT but slightly cheaper, not as cheap as Miche

Hawkwood said:
I've been following various debates about wider rims, and would now like to give them a try. Mr current set-up is 28 spoke Ambrosio Excellights on Ambrosio hubs. I weigh 85 kgs, and have always been light on decent wheels. Does anyone have experience of the A23 rims, and if so can they suggest a decent, lightish, strongish build? I should add that the rear hub needs to be Campagnolo 10 compatible.

Record hubset, 32h, DT Comp spokes, brass nipps, laced 3 cross thruout.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Not sure of anything other than the 240's DT wise. Since you're in the UK I think you can get really good deals on Miche hubs, which would be cheaper than DT but same quality. Look for Miche's Racing Box hubs, they're great for the money. Could even look for Edco Racer or Super G hubs, same as DT but slightly cheaper, not as cheap as Miche

Just checked out the Miche hubs, they're just £63 for the Racing Box, and £70 for the up-market Primato and this is for pairs. Look like a bargain judging by the reviews they get.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Hawkwood said:
Just checked out the Miche hubs, they're just £63 for the Racing Box, and £70 for the up-market Primato and this is for pairs. Look like a bargain judging by the reviews they get.

Yep, sounds like you're looking at Wiggle. Only thing is you're limited to getting pairs of the same hole counts, and wiggle doesn't have the Racing Box in a 28h. The Primato comes in a 28h and you're really only saving about 60 grams of spokes and nips over a 32h wheel set when it's all said and done, but as you say you're light on the wheels even though you're bigger, I get it. We're almost identical in weight and I run those 36h A23's, strong as hell and light enough, but I'm hard on equipment. Either of those Miche hubs are the best bargain in hubs right now IMO. The £7 price difference you see is only due to finish, the silver Racing Box is a printed logo and the black Primato is laser etched, there's a 4g difference in skewers, oof, that's a lot!,,, :) otherwise the hubs are identical internally.

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
A23 build suggestions

Hello - we have built a few sets of these wheels including a set last week for the Paris-Roubaix sportif. May I suggest a couple of hub options - the PMP hub is tough, well engineered, looks good and is 11 speed ready (in case you wish to upgrade at a later date). Or the Hope hub is tough, easy to service and choice of colours too. You can keep the weight down by opting for CX Ray spokes if you wish.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
As luck would have it, I've been riding around for a while now on a set of A23s laced 2x to Miche Primato 28h hubs (Campagnolo compatible) with DT Swiss spokes and brass nipples.

These wheels are great. The front one hasn't needed truing, and once the spoke tension was corrected on the rear (the wheelbuilder for some reason had the NDS quite loose), it has performed flawlessly. The wider profile feels much better (to me at least), and I've got Continental Ultra Gatorskin 23c tyres on the rims. A great all round setup. Very decent weight and strong.

My weight is typically under 75kg, so I'm not placing too much stress on the wheels (unless I'm riding over rough roads), but they're great.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for all of the advice regarding an A23 buiild, I'm certainly tempted by a Miche/A23 combination, especially given the price the Miche hubs can be had for in the UK. I'm on the trail of a UK builder who can deliver the goods. I'll post again on this subject once I've got the wheels.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Hawkwood said:
Many thanks for all of the advice regarding an A23 buiild, I'm certainly tempted by a Miche/A23 combination, especially given the price the Miche hubs can be had for in the UK. I'm on the trail of a UK builder who can deliver the goods. I'll post again on this subject once I've got the wheels.

And that's the most important thing, the build is > than the sum of the parts.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
And that's the most important thing, the build is > than the sum of the parts.

Agreed, all of the wheels I've had built up by good builders have lasted so long I've had to find excuses as to why I needed to replace them!