• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

reliable tyre for wet conditions

anyone have a suggestion for affordable tyres that won't slip on wet tarmac and cobbles, and also won't puncture? i'm not racing or anything, so if they roll a bit slower doesn't really matter.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,384
0
0
Visit site
Only one answer atmo - Continental GP 4 Seasons. I've ridden 25 front/28 rear on rough tarmac/cobbles/gravel since Sept '09 with no flats. Acceptable weight and perfect grip for N Europe's temperate climate with excellent sidewall protection and cut resistance. At the risk of sounding like a Conti' marketeer's wet dream, I have nothing bad to say about these tyres. :D
 
LugHugger said:
Only one answer atmo - Continental GP 4 Seasons. I've ridden 25 front/28 rear on rough tarmac/cobbles/gravel since Sept '09 with no flats. Acceptable weight and perfect grip for N Europe's temperate climate with excellent sidewall protection and cut resistance. At the risk of sounding like a Conti' marketeer's wet dream, I have nothing bad to say about these tyres. :D

thank you! i've been thinking about 25 mm, since there's a lot of gravel roads i like to ride for fun, when the weather's good. (the cobbles, unfortunately, are on my way to work, and it's raining half of the time.)
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
zapata said:
thank you! i've been thinking about 25 mm, since there's a lot of gravel roads i like to ride for fun, when the weather's good. (the cobbles, unfortunately, are on my way to work, and it's raining half of the time.)

Get the 28 for the rear. I've been riding one and it's really fantastic. I'm 175lbs and ride it at around 80 psi. Been riding a 25 gp 4000 front and had the same on the rear until I got my 4 season in the mail. I forgot what I was missing.
 
May 9, 2009
583
0
0
Visit site
When this question has come up in the past, another favorite seems to be the Vittoria Open Pave. But it doesn't really qualify in the "cheap" category.
 
Mar 18, 2009
745
0
0
Visit site
Schwalbe Marathon Plus

More of a commuter tyre but for the conditions you've described, they're literally bomb-proof.

I roll a set on a backup wheelset when the conditions get a little nastier here...which happens every once and a while :rolleyes:
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
stephens said:
When this question has come up in the past, another favorite seems to be the Vittoria Open Pave. But it doesn't really qualify in the "cheap" category.

The tubulars come in a 27 but the clinchers only come in a 24.
 

TRENDING THREADS