• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reorganising the GT calendar

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
42x16ss said:
Just for sh!ts and giggles I'd like to see the Vuelta go to a late March start, Giro starting in late May with the biggest classics (northern classics and Ardennes) taking the Tour's spot, then put the Tour in the Vuelta's September slot :cool:

That way everyone gets to see the best races (the classics :D) and the Tour gets a stacked field, with everyone that's had a poor season so far going to the Tour hungry.

Do you want to kill the classics too? What makes Ronde and Roubaix (to not talk of the Ardennes) more beautiful is the uncertainty of the weather, the cold, the rain, etc. I'm dreaming for years of a Roubaix in the rain, and if in April we don't get that since 2002 imagine if it was in summer (ok, this year in Le Tour we got rain, but that was once in a lifetime shot).

Ricco' said:
Do you want to kill the classics too? What makes Ronde and Roubaix (to not talk of the Ardennes) more beautiful is the uncertainty of the weather, the cold, the rain, etc. I'm dreaming for years of a Roubaix in the rain, and if in April we don't get that since 2002 imagine if it was in summer (ok, this year in Le Tour we got rain, but that was once in a lifetime shot).

Huh? The Tour regularly gets rain. The 2012 and 13 Tours were very unusual getting such little rain.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
roberttazman said:
Option B: merge all three GTs so that it is one giant 9 week long race across Italy, Spain, and France.

Now you are talking! Furthermore, make it a relay race. A team enters 9 for each GT, but they are linked up into three man group where each one races one GT and we combine the times for the triad into an overall grand grand winner. Be even better if they have to carry a baton and pass it at the end of a tour.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
On a more serious note - has it always been these three for the GTs? Has there ever been another race put up with these for the "GT" designation? Historians comment?

3 full 3 week Tours stay put.

Keep them where they are, it seems a natural. I get disappointed when some Giro stages get altered and such but the schedule feels right.

The worst possible thing I've been hearing lately is making the Vuelta and Giro shorter. 3, 3 week Grand Tours is what We have and it should remain. Having 3 of them is ideal. 3 is like a magic number. With only 1, 3 week Grand Tour it will not be the same.

3 is complex. Interesting photos often have 3 of what ever...

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The Tour will never move by more than a few days as long as it continues to have the financial importance it currently has. ASO will always want it to straddle 14th July and any later finish would put it into prime French holiday season when it's already hard enough to move about the country at weekends.

Swapping the Giro and Vuelta makes sense to me but I doubt the organisers would swallow it.