• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Retiring Young

A

Anonymous

28 year old Will Frischkorn retires from Garmin.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frischkorn-retires-from-cycling

This reminds me of Kevin Livingston who abruptly retired at 29. I was talking to a friend the other day about this very topic. I don't know if Frischkorn or Livingston were clean or dirty but the way they ended their careers is a little strange. Does anyone think that some in the peloton just throw their hands in the air and say "screw this!"...? Guys like Danny Pate don't have much chance to show their stuff if they choose not to "prepare" properly. I wonder who will be next to throw in the towel?

Scott SoCal said:

This reminds me of Kevin Livingston's retirement who abruptly retired at 29. I was talking to a friend the other day about this very topic. I don't know if Frischkorn or Livingston were clean or dirty but the way they abruptly ended their careers is a little strange. Does anyone think that some in the peloton just throw their hands in the air and say "screw this!"...? Guys like Danny Pate don't have much chance to show their stuff if they choose not to "prepare" properly. I wonder who will be next to throw in the towel?
Very good post. I think the problem is bigger than we think. We just don't hear as much because some of the riders are relatively unknown. .

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

This reminds me of Kevin Livingston's retirement who abruptly retired at 29. I was talking to a friend the other day about this very topic. I don't know if Frischkorn or Livingston were clean or dirty but the way they abruptly ended their careers is a little strange. Does anyone think that some in the peloton just throw their hands in the air and say "screw this!"...? Guys like Danny Pate don't have much chance to show their stuff if they choose not to "prepare" properly. I wonder who will be next to throw in the towel?

Along similar lines, I've always been intrigued with Museeuw's brief retirement in 1989 when he was with ADR.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
It is odd. Right side of 30, riding for a team who are definitely on the up, got to ride the tour last year. Maybe he was out of contract.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Will is a much different person then the average Pro cyclist. He comes from a very affluent family and has a broad range of interests off the bike. There is a saying in the bike game "The more you ride, the dumber you get"

Will is getting out while he still has his smarts. Good move.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I would be curious to see the pay structure for a US pro team. Maybe he is getting more money and stability from the move. He is a good racer and seems to be a cool guy. Livingston was a great racer(track beast) and I was also stunned when he hung it up.I was even more surprised when Roberto Gaggiolli didn't hang it up.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It might be a case of him simply looking in the mirror and saying "This is as good as I am going to get" and deciding to pursue a career off the bike while the opportunity is there. I would be surprised if he would continue to work with the Garmin group if he was dismayed by illicit activities within the team.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Will is a much different person then the average Pro cyclist. He comes from a very affluent family and has a broad range of interests off the bike. There is a saying in the bike game "The more you ride, the dumber you get"

It seems not riding has had the same effect...then/than

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
I would be curious to see the pay structure for a US pro team. Maybe he is getting more money and stability from the move. He is a good racer and seems to be a cool guy. Livingston was a great racer(track beast) and I was also stunned when he hung it up.I was even more surprised when Roberto Gaggiolli didn't hang it up.

some people just race their bikes

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
It might be a case of him simply looking in the mirror and saying "This is as good as I am going to get" and deciding to pursue a career off the bike while the opportunity is there. I would be surprised if he would continue to work with the Garmin group if he was dismayed by illicit activities within the team.

Or he could be getting counsel from his boss. This is interesting;

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/Story?id=3421105&page=2

Specifically, read page 2.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

He's very wealthy from what I remember reading.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

From reading the second book by LA, he and Livingston had a falling out after Livingston signed on to ride for Ullrich at the 2001 Tour. And then when talking about the 'whereabouts' system, he said livingston got feed up with it all and gave his sample back to the tester and said "I hope you do find something, I'm retired".

Of course that is what Mr Armstrong said, whether or not somebody has more inside info and that they are willing to share, that's up to them.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

This reminds me of Kevin Livingston who abruptly retired at 29. I was talking to a friend the other day about this very topic. I don't know if Frischkorn or Livingston were clean or dirty but the way they ended their careers is a little strange.

Livingston was working with Ferrari and his Hct went from 41 to 49 in something like 6 months.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
He's very wealthy from what I remember reading.

I have met his father a few times. IIRC he does private equity for old school manufacturing companies. Very nice, down to earth, guy who seems to really cares about his son. It has been maybe 5 years since I last saw him but I seem to remember that he invested in one of the large event production companies.

Will has been racing full time for 10 years. After a while you realize that there are so many other things in life then riding your bike, Laying in bed with your feet up, and not eating. I did not touch a bike for 3 years.....I had a lot of fun those three years, fun I had missed the previous 10.

Race Radio said:
I have met his father a few times. IIRC he does private equity for old school manufacturing companies. Very nice, down to earth, guy who seems to really cares about his son. It has been maybe 5 years since I last saw him but I seem to remember that he invested in one of the large event production companies.

Will has been racing full time for 10 years. After a while you realize that there are so many other things in life then riding your bike, Laying in bed with your feet up, and not eating. I did not touch a bike for 3 years.....I had a lot of fun those three years, fun I had missed the previous 10.

Doesn't Will also have some physical issues that bike racing worsens ... I seem to recall either back or neck problems. No point in trashing yourself now and being nearly crippled later.