• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ribble carbon frames

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
does anybody have one of these?

im looking at getting a bike from ribble with Campy 11 speed,

i like the look of, and have read some great reviews on the Sportive frame, but im wondering if the extra few bob would be worth spending for the Nero RC frame

my plan is more sportive based,

but i would like to have the option of racing as well, so any help would be great lads

oh, and i know Planet x bikes are well priced, but i simply hate the look of them, so no point in pushing me in that direction Wink

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I have a Ribble Scuro HCR (2008 model without the ISP of the current Scuro RS model) built with Ultegra SL. Very light bike, nicely put together, comfortable ride, handles well (much better with DA wheels than the Aksiums), looks good, great price. Have seen the same frame for sale here in Aus for $3900, which was well more than I paid for the complete bike even at the exchange rate at the time (though I was living in UK and earning in pounds anyway).

Obviously not the same frame as the Nero RC you're looking at, but if you're bothering to shell out the extra for an 11-speed Campy group over the 10-speed options on their "special edition" bikes, surely buying the 'better' frame is worth it too?

I really like my Ribble, the only down-side for me is it's ridiculously small tire clearance in the rear, a 25c tire would simply not fit, and my original Aksium wheels (now upgraded to Dura Ace 7850CL which are lovely) which weren't quite dished properly were a pain even with 23c tires. Worth asking them about clearance on the Nero as my bike would probably be unrideable with a broken spoke in the rear.

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
the only thing im slightly worried about with the Nero, would be the comfort levels

ive read reviews on the sportive and gran fondo on how they're pretty comfortable over bumpy roads, but im just making the assumption myself that the Nero, being perhaps a bit stiffer, will be less comfortable, and if im planning on doing mainly sportives, comfort is what im aiming for

hmmm

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a Ribble 7005SL (Alloy frame). No issues with the bike what so ever. What I will say that it took ages for the bike to arrive (over 7 weeks) and during that time it was impossible to contact them. They didn't answer the phone or reply to emails. Just something to bear in mind.