• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Riccò takes Coppa Sabatini - WTF!

Oct 16, 2009
3,864
0
0
Visit site
ricco_vince_600.jpg


Why is Vino/Basso/Leipheimer/Millar/Hugh Nameit still racing?
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
5
0
Visit site
They don't have anything on Leipheimer, so why include him in your list?

If they can't even ban Armstrong with the evidence against him then they sure as hell can't touch Leipheimer.
 
this is the problem

people read about an investigation, because it is 'big news'

however, they don't read the part where it was announced it were only sleep pills, because that news appearently isn't spectaculair enough.

I blame journalist for this type of error. They are only interested in the initial story, when it turns out to be nothing they simply ignore that and don't make a report about it
 
Oct 16, 2009
3,864
0
0
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
They don't have anything on Leipheimer, so why include him in your list?

If they can't even ban Armstrong with the evidence against him then they sure as hell can't touch Leipheimer.
Leipheimer tested positive for ephedrine in 96. ;)
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
5
0
Visit site
goggalor said:
Leipheimer tested positive for ephedrine in 96. ;)

And you want a lifetime ban for that lol? He wasn't even pro then and was punished for it. It's pretty well known that the U23 category is even dirtier then the professional one. Why do you think guys like Cancellara skipped that category completely?

Just saying, Leipheimer doesn't belong in that list.
 
Mar 17, 2009
1,863
0
0
Visit site
goggalor said:
Why is Vino/Basso/Leipheimer/Millar/Hugh Nameit still racing?
Because whatever one thinks of them, they've done their time and the rules say they can race once the ban is served.

Vino - Served the 2 years
Basso - Served 2 years
Leipheimer - OK I'll allow you that one!
Millar - Served 2 years

Not hard is it? Or so you think that once someone has broken the law they should be an outcast forever? Are you sure you're as pure as driven snow?
 
El Pistolero said:
And you want a lifetime ban for that lol? He wasn't even pro then and was punished for it. It's pretty well known that the U23 category is even dirtier then the professional one. Why do you think guys like Cancellara skipped that category completely?

Just saying, Leipheimer doesn't belong in that list.

Banning for ephedrine now prevents ridiculously high off scores later.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,245
2
0
Visit site
hrotha said:
Being a jerk is not grounds for a suspension right now.

Sad, but true.

Many people in Contador's entourage (the latest was the chef) keep saying how they have no reason not to believe him, because he "is a genuinely nice person". Unfortunately it's not only the arrogant d-bags that dope though.

Still, sad day for cycling indeed ... not looking forward to having that guy around again.
 
+2, and I'm American!

Seriously though. I'd put about 100 people on that list before Levi. Not that I think he's squeaky clean mind you, it's just that there are so many more scoundrels to choose from.

Christian said:
Many people in Contador's entourage (the latest was the chef) keep saying how they have no reason not to believe him, because he "is a genuinely nice person".
Hey, by every indication from all who know him, Tyler Hamilton is one of the friendliest guys in cycling ever.
 
Dekker_Tifosi said:
this is the problem

people read about an investigation, because it is 'big news'

however, they don't read the part where it was announced it were only sleep pills, because that news appearently isn't spectaculair enough.

I blame journalist for this type of error. They are only interested in the initial story, when it turns out to be nothing they simply ignore that and don't make a report about it

It is the press it's fault! Press only post juicy stories. Look someone found pills at a cyclist house. That's awesome. Everyone wants to read about riders that dope. Make a story that they found pills at his house! Yeh that is great!
3 days later we know that it were just sleeping pills or vitamin pills, but I haven't read anything about that anywhere....
 
Ricco is an ***, but he's a rider I love to watch so aslong as he doesn't get caught again I will enjoy watching him. He is smelly.. I know, but a lot of riders are smelly so if I'm gonna have a problem with him I'd better stop watching cycling.

Yeh I wish every rider was honest and didn't use doping. This isn't going to happen any time soon so either you deal with it or you stop watching cycling.
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
+2, and I'm American!

Seriously though. I'd put about 100 people on that list before Levi. Not that I think he's squeaky clean mind you, it's just that there are so many more scoundrels to choose from.

Can we not just ban him on commercial grounds for being the dullest cyclist ever to have lived. And that includes freds.
 
Mar 11, 2009
5,841
3
0
Visit site
Getting back on topic...

Ricco's house may only have had sleeping pills in it, but his girlfriend's house had all sorts of exciting goodies. I am honestly a little surprised he is still racing, most teams suspend riders who are the subject of an active doping investigation and Ricco is certainly that.
 
Oct 16, 2009
3,864
0
0
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
And you want a lifetime ban for that lol? He wasn't even pro then and was punished for it. It's pretty well known that the U23 category is even dirtier then the professional one. Why do you think guys like Cancellara skipped that category completely?

Just saying, Leipheimer doesn't belong in that list.
Did I say anything about a lifetime ban? It's just a quick little list of former dopers who were rehabilitated and are now back and winning. Leipheimer belongs there.

What's your opinion on Hugh Nameit, btw? I hate that guy.

ultimobici said:
Because whatever one thinks of them, they've done their time and the rules say they can race once the ban is served.

Vino - Served the 2 years
Basso - Served 2 years
Leipheimer - OK I'll allow you that one!
Millar - Served 2 years

Not hard is it? Or so you think that once someone has broken the law they should be an outcast forever? Are you sure you're as pure as driven snow?
Uh, yeah, Ricco has also served his ban. Why shouldn't he be allowed to race (and win), like the rest of the riders I mentioned?
 
Oct 7, 2010
13
0
0
Visit site
"Leipheimer belongs there"...lmao You left out that the test also showed Claritin-D in his test at that time. Putting Levi on your list and leaving off guys like Rasmussen, Igor Gonzalez, Hondo, Mayo, Kashechkin, Dekker, Pettachi, Boonen for Coke, and many others were much more serious than Levi..Come on
 
Oct 16, 2009
3,864
0
0
Visit site
Derukeman said:
"Leipheimer belongs there"...lmao You left out that the test also showed Claritin-D in his test at that time. Putting Levi on your list and leaving off guys like Rasmussen, Igor Gonzalez, Hondo, Mayo, Kashechkin, Dekker, Pettachi, Boonen for Coke, and many others were much more serious than Levi..Come on
How many of those are still racing? 3? 4? I file those under Hugh Nameit.
 
Derukeman said:
"Leipheimer belongs there"...lmao You left out that the test also showed Claritin-D in his test at that time.

No, Claritin-D was Leecheimer's excuse for what was in his system. Contador has his funky Spanish steak, Leipheimer has his Claritin-D.

It was a nice coincidence that just before giving a hot sample, Leipheimer was sick enough to require a drug that was in common use by crit racers. He was so sick that instead of being the guy sucking at the back, he lapped the entire field. We should all get sick like that before competition.