• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco back, again?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Markyboyzx6r said:
I can't agree with the 'all publicity is good publicity' idea. Yeah... if you're Tiger Woods or Eric Cantona and you're sponsored by Nike, then you can turn a negative situation into something - I hesitate to use the word 'positive' - but 'defiant' at least.

Had you heard of Meridiana-Kamen before today?

I had - but mainly because of the Commesso farce from last year.

That's why they're signing Riccò. I hope they want what's best for him, and I also hope slumming it riding in races like the Tour of Serbia knocks some sense into him.

If you want to believe that they're taking advantage of him before he ends up in the gutter, then that's fine by me. I'm sure OUCH did the same with Floyd Landis too. Who was looking out for Floyd's peace of mind?

You do know that Festina's sales actually went up after the doping bust? It put the name "Festina watches" on the tongues of more people. Some people heard the name because of reporting of the bust, but couldn't recall what they heard it from. But they knew who Festina were as a result.

I hadn't heard of Christina Hembo or her watches company before she got involved with Michael Rasmussen. Now I know full well what her company does - far more than if she'd just taken over Designa Køkken-BlueWater or Team Concordia Forsikring-Himmerland.

thirteen said:
Mark,

it's sweet that you are so idealistic and seem to care so much for Riccò's psychological welfare.

i am with Libertine Seguros and his Oscar Wilde quote: the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Meridiana-Kamen doesn't even have a working website. any publicity is good publicity for them.

as for Riccò being a doper who will always be a doper, lol! do you realise you're speaking about a majority of the peloton?

Top post thirteen.

Though i would propose that the difference between Ricco and the other dopers is that Ricco has come close to killing himself once where the others have been luckier.

Natural instinct makes me believe that bad doping side-effects are therefore more likely to happen with him than others. This may or may not be true but we are paranoid creatures. Im more likely to be afraid of going into an alleyways if i have been robbed in one, and in the same way i fear for Ricco more than I do for the others because he has had the hospital experience.

If I were someone in Riccos life i would advise him not to come back but at the same time, if he does come back (and is cleared) , I would enjoy the advantages that brings which hopefully include animating top mountain stages in races and erasing the smirks from the aforementioned hypocrites.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Fannini has a long history of "reviving" riders careers, and also had a few big names ride for him at the start of their careers. The team is based in Lucca and I think his son Christian is the DS these day, in fact Christion is arguably the worst rider to have held a Pro Licence. Fannini has been around for years and knows the sport inside and out, he's a fanatical self publicist too. The team is usually composed of Eastern European riders (they earn about €300-350 per month) and are all lodged together in a team house. There "star" rider will usually earn about €1000 per month. It's quite a "unique" team!

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
damookman said:
First post guys.

I came to cycling late in 2009 so missed Ricco's exploits and have only seen him in you tube vids (his brief return notwithstanding).

It just seems worrying that Ricco is almost exactly following Pantani's footsteps. Everyone wants to "help" him but there is always this whiff of someone just in the background trying to use his infamy to help themselves. I really, really hope I am wrong.

Whatever his deal maybe, I don't think he needs to pay the same price the Pantani did.

Aside from the the obvious cosmetic similarities between Riccio & Pantani - italian, climbers, stupid nicknames, partial to the odd portion of EPO Riccio is / was small fry compared to Pantani who was the biggest thing to happen in Italian cycling since Coppi.

Fact is for his 'entourage' Patani was the goose that laid the golden egg. He was worth literally £ millions provided they could keep his crack addled **** on a bike. Riccio. on the other hand, is only 'worth' a slot on a crappy Continental team.

The one positive to come out of the whole Riccio saga is that he seems to have had to manage his 'treatment' himself. 10 - 15 years ago he'd have been looked after by his team. I suppose that's progress.

Vino attacks everyone said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-lashes-out-at-doping-accusations

Is it me ore is this guy beggining to be more and more likable? ;)
i think he is actually growing up. a near death experience can do that to you.

Riccò may be an a-hole, he may not be the brightest bulb, but he's got heart and he lives and breathes cycling... i mean, look at what he did at last year's Tour de Austria?

13_1_600.jpg

i prefer to be a fanboy of the only one bad boy mafiosi of cycling instdead of supporting all those hypocrites. If i have just one wish it would be that ricco is signing with bruyneel in 12 and becoming a big horrible monster that is going to kill everybody at il giro who just said one bad word about him. That would be cool.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
staubsauger said:
i prefer to be a fanboy of the only one bad boy mafiosi of cycling instdead of supporting all those hypocrites. If i have just one wish it would be that ricco is signing with bruyneel in 12 and becoming a big horrible monster that is going to kill everybody at il giro who just said one bad word about him. That would be cool.

Riccó is no different from the others, a doper, a liar and a hypocrite. How did i figure that? Well if he didn't transfuse in Feb, why did Vacansoleil sack him and why is he, as he claims didn't transfuse, not suing them?

Benotti69 said:
Riccó is no different from the others, a doper, a liar and a hypocrite. How did i figure that? Well if he didn't transfuse in Feb, why did Vacansoleil sack him and why is he, as he claims didn't transfuse, not suing them?
of course he did this transfusion and of course he is lying about the case. He's the benito mussolini of italian cycling, but i really enjoying that they are not able to stop him at present.

staubsauger said:

What is scary is that is not such a far fetched scenario. If JB is even around next year though.

I wish the best for Ricco but he is still just not getting it. Sad.

A

Anonymous

Kidney failure can happen to anyone?

I didnt realise it was so common and random. An issue like this seriously needs some awareness.

The guys had a life threatening disease and has come back from it. If he does some charity work raising awareness of the issue he could turn himself into a hero.

And then, if he can come back from the brink of death, win the tour de france, what an amazing story that would be.

ElChingon said:
Hey Now! He never tested positive! The Second Time.

:D

Well, if he never tested +ive the second time, I guess why not let him back in. Just hope he doesn't accidentally kill himself this time.

Makes me wonder... you think there are riders out there who have been sought out for the sole purpose to test the limits of what riders can get away with and get paid for it?

TeamSkyFans said:

I didnt realise it was so common and random. An issue like this seriously needs some awareness.

The guys had a life threatening disease and has come back from it. If he does some charity work raising awareness of the issue he could turn himself into a hero.

And then, if he can come back from the brink of death, win the tour de france, what an amazing story that would be.

It would be a miracle, wouldn't it?

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Superb! I'm obviously thick, it took me a few seconds to click.

TeamSkyFans said:

LiveDiamond ??

Susan

TeamSkyFans said:

yep, complete with admission to doctors in a hospital room that will now forever be denied ;)

A

Anonymous

Archibald said:
yep, complete with admission to doctors in a hospital room that will now forever be denied ;)

To be fair, who else was in that hospital room that can confirm what was said?

His girlfriend but she is probably unreliable

TeamSkyFans said:
To be fair, who else was in that hospital room that can confirm what was said?

His girlfriend but she is probably unreliable

Maybe Enrico Rossi...

Or a current teammate to spice it up... Leukemans likes an absurd doping story.

Neither are credible, so no one would believe them if they tried to say Ricco admitted to a transfusion.

TeamSkyFans said:

Susan Westemeyer said:
LiveDiamond ??

Susan

If that's what really happened, then something like Susan suggested.
Or LiveSmarter.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well, if he never tested +ive the second time, I guess why not let him back in. Just hope he doesn't accidentally kill himself this time.

Makes me wonder... you think there are riders out there who have been sought out for the sole purpose to test the limits of what riders can get away with and get paid for it?

I think we have one of those "Testers" under investigation now. ;)

on3m@n@rmy said:
If that's what really happened, then something like Susan suggested.
Or LiveSmarter.

Humm... I'm thinking more like,

VidaRicco :D

Well his thinking on it.

TRENDING THREADS