• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco to Quickstep

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ricco usually has the same calming effect on a mountain stage as the appearance of Chippendales in a bingo hall on heat. And probably equally determined to show off the goods on offer. Call me cheap, but bring it on (Ricco, not so hot on the Chippendales).

After he did his time I was curious where he would end up, but a move to Quickstep wasn't one I had even contemplated. I guess if you realize that Contador is a pipe-dream, the real world only offers so many alternatives. One not so careful user only, slightly dented.

I welcome the chance to see Ricco in (guaranteed-entry) action again, but since they will make investments around Ricco, I fear that this flirtation with fielding a genuine GT team will come at a cost to the Belgian classic season grudge match I enjoy so much.

Like so many things that involve Ricco, I guess I will have to wait to see how this one pans out. And where I am very confident that the likes of Vino are clever enough to make the second shot at it a wiser one, with Ricco......we'll see. Quickstep knows what it invited into the camp anyway.

The only thing disgusting is the hypocrisy of cycling. At least Ricky named names, but didn't get to ride the Giro or Tour. Basso never admitted to anything besides "attempted doping," has won the Giro and will ride the Tour. And I have no problem with Basso racing. But come on! And if Armstrong starts the Tour...

All here who think the guy is a low life, simply don't understand the man and his romagnolo background. He talks straight in the romagnolo fashion, doesn't mix words and doesn't try to say "the right thing" just to please the wholesome oriented. In short he isn't a hypocrit. His private affair with his girlfriend was worked out between them. For the record she wrote a humiliating letter regarding his conduct that was published for all to read in la Gazzetta dello Sport and he didn't respond with a word, went to her, and now they are back together. In other words he realized his poor conduct, though didn't whine about it, but took it like a man and confronted the situation. End of story.

Cycling isn't clean, so unless the UCI starts enforcing life-time bans, those who ahve served their time should be brought back with out biased though this isn't the case. As it is some are "welcomed" back simply because they play the "good-guy" role. Ricky didn't and has had to serve "extra" time in purgatory, which is unjust because based on mere character assessment by a bunch of two-faced hypocrits running the sport.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Cav's take on Ricco:

"To be honest, when I see him, I think I'll have to fight the urge to get off my bike and hit him."
"You see, he think's everybody is doing it. People look at what I am doing and think that I must be cheating. But cycling's the forefront of anti-doping and that's why I can win."
"The doped guys used to be the ones who would ride away at the end of stages. Now everyone's ****ed after 80km and the one who's least ****ed wins."
"Not only that but in the 2008 Tour, I almost finished outside the time limit because of what he did in the Pyrennes. He nearly killed me. And that's just me being selfish - what about the people who lost their job because of what he did?"

That is why I hope both of them ride the Vuelta.

rhubroma said:
The only thing disgusting is the hypocrisy of cycling. At least Ricky named names, but didn't get to ride the Giro or Tour. Basso never admitted to anything besides "attempted doping," has won the Giro and will ride the Tour. And I have no problem with Basso racing. But come on! And if Armstrong starts the Tour...
But the only names he named were ones that were already well-known, and the authorities thought he was lying about being involved with them in order to get off lightly, which is why, unlike Sella, who did name names and provide a lot of evidence, Riccò only got 4 months off his suspension, and had to fight through the courts to keep that.

Basso is a tricky one. Riccò being out at Ceramica Flaminia is in keeping with the old 'exile for two years' tradition. That was broken for the first time with Basso since there was no positive test involved for Basso, which was the argument Liquigas used. Vino was the next, returning with the same team he left, but then, given that Astana was set up for Vino, anybody who didn't expect Vino to come straight back to the top level with that team was fooling themselves.

Besides, the main reason Riccò was at Ceramica Flaminia in the first place is that their main sprinter, Enrico Rossi, is Vania's brother. That's also why you knew that there wasn't too much animosity in the Ricardo/Vania breakup, since Vania was still seen at their races with little Alessandro, and Enrico never decked the ginger one (more's the pity; only Bram Tankink has been fortunate enough to have managed that).

Libertine Seguros said:
But the only names he named were ones that were already well-known, and the authorities thought he was lying about being involved with them in order to get off lightly, which is why, unlike Sella, who did name names and provide a lot of evidence, Riccò only got 4 months off his suspension, and had to fight through the courts to keep that.

Basso is a tricky one. Riccò being out at Ceramica Flaminia is in keeping with the old 'exile for two years' tradition. That was broken for the first time with Basso since there was no positive test involved for Basso, which was the argument Liquigas used. Vino was the next, returning with the same team he left, but then, given that Astana was set up for Vino, anybody who didn't expect Vino to come straight back to the top level with that team was fooling themselves.

Besides, the main reason Riccò was at Ceramica Flaminia in the first place is that their main sprinter, Enrico Rossi, is Vania's brother. That's also why you knew that there wasn't too much animosity in the Ricardo/Vania breakup, since Vania was still seen at their races with little Alessandro, and Enrico never decked the ginger one (more's the pity; only Bram Tankink has been fortunate enough to have managed that).

Well you're certainly informed about the situations. Mine was simply in connection to the hypocrisy of Ricco's continued punishment, while other's, no better than himself in regards to the omertà, have been fully reinserted. For anything short of a Landis confession is strategic plea-bargaining at best. And let's see how far that one goes into reforming the sport.

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
maybe i'm not a nice person (like much of the peleton) but i want to see the best riders attacking each other on mountain slopes. because of this i think it's a shame that dopers who have served their ban aren't able to compete. rasmusen, ricco, kaschechin (sp?) should all be racing GTs, clean.

i don't think a 2 year ban is particularly light considering a career is rarely over 15 years of which only 7 are at the riders absolutely peak. although returned convicted dopers should be subject to targeted testing, room searches etc...

i can completely understand, and to some extent agree with, he sentiment that hates/resents, "unconvicted dopers" who have never served any punishment, despite years and years of cheating, but feels that dopers who have served their ban can be supported again. to a degree in my opinion dopers are partially cleansed by their ban. the dopers with no punishment are worse, also, i think they're more likely to still be doping.

an (almost) an entire generation of top cyclists doped, most were never punished, hopefully this has changed (doping less prevelant) but it seems unfair to me to keep beating up on a few convicts, who have paid a price.

A lot of people said that it was a return to omertà that made Sella announce that he was nothing to do with a spate of busts in Italy. I think it's more the case that he's already something of a pariah in the péloton with many shadier teams and riders because of everything he did, and he wanted to dissociate himself from further busts to protect what little remains of his reputation. As said earlier in this thread, just ask him about getting spat on.

We as fans rail against the péloton's treatment of whistleblowers like Simeoni, but we as fans are also just as bad. We let Vino off the hook 'cause he's served his time, but savage Alejandro Valverde as if Vino or Riccò wouldn't do the exact same in his position. Riccò tries to wriggle his way out of the full suspension by giving some 'evidence' against people who are already well-known for doping, and people don't believe him, but because we enjoy watching him race, we'll make out that he was blowing the whistle when he comes back. Nonsense. Meanwhile, we'll deride the likes of Bernhard Kohl as arrogant and selfish, when Bernhard Kohl has done ten times as much to combat doping in the sport as David Millar, who few seem to have a problem with.

The Hitch said:
Kashechkin?. A stage in the Vuelta, a stage in Paris nice
Contador and Ricco watch out:rolleyes:

Bah.. He came ahead of Valverde when he road as a helper for Vino, got 3rd at the GC. And climbed better than Vino i would say. Lets see how many podium finishes he have....

Stage 18 and 3rd overall, Vuelta a España
3rd overall, Deutschland Tour
3rd, Clásica de San Sebastián

3rd overall, Tour de Romandie
3rd overall, Dauphine Libere

If he has the form he will be dangerous. He can TT better than Ricco

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
A lot of people said that it was a return to omertà that made Sella announce that he was nothing to do with a spate of busts in Italy. I think it's more the case that he's already something of a pariah in the péloton with many shadier teams and riders because of everything he did, and he wanted to dissociate himself from further busts to protect what little remains of his reputation. As said earlier in this thread, just ask him about getting spat on.

We as fans rail against the péloton's treatment of whistleblowers like Simeoni, but we as fans are also just as bad. We let Vino off the hook 'cause he's served his time, but savage Alejandro Valverde as if Vino or Riccò wouldn't do the exact same in his position. Riccò tries to wriggle his way out of the full suspension by giving some 'evidence' against people who are already well-known for doping, and people don't believe him, but because we enjoy watching him race, we'll make out that he was blowing the whistle when he comes back. Nonsense. Meanwhile, we'll deride the likes of Bernhard Kohl as arrogant and selfish, when Bernhard Kohl has done ten times as much to combat doping in the sport as David Millar, who few seem to have a problem with.

Eh? A lot of people on here think Millar is a lot of ****. Some think he never got off the program.

craig1985 said:
Eh? A lot of people on here think Millar is a lot of ****. Some think he never got off the program.
details, details. Plenty of people have no problem with Millar.

Point is, we fans are very inconsistent and arbitrary about who we like and dislike out of those who've been caught, and we're hypocrites for expecting the péloton to be any different.

Libertine Seguros said:

Bravo LS. Your dialectic is impecable. Though how are we supposed to be entertained in a world as corrupt as this?

It isn't just the doping, but the personalities behind it. Like political preferences. The world has always been this way and always will.

Cheers.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I think the guy is a complete **** but he is amusing at the same time, and I do wonder how naturally gifted he is - its at the back of my mind that he is good enough to challenge Contador on a 'level playing field'.

I am still completely puzzled by why some riders come back and get on a good team, and other riders do not eg Rasmussen. I did think it was about being marketable or just not being a *** but Rasmussen is no more or less of an **** than Ricco.

So the guy is a ****, but he has done his time and I am kind of glad he is back. EDIT But if things were fair, a few more would be, or none at all... It would be great to see some mountain stages with Contador, Ricco, Rasmussen and Wiggo all going for it.

Surprised the rumours are Quickstep though, bit disappointed about that.

TRENDING THREADS