• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richmond 2015 World Championships

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So now that its official that Richmond will host the worlds in 2015, what do you think the course will be like? I know there are definitely some good hills there to race on.

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I was in Richmond several years ago and I remember there being a very steep hill right in the downtown area. I also recall a short steep cobbled climb that was used in the Tour DuPont back in the '90's. Armstrong used it as a launch pad to win the Richmond stage in 1995, IIRC. Of course, it's probably wishful thinking to expect this climb to be used in a 15-20 lap circuit race. The thing about Richmond is it has the James River snaking through it; there should be plenty of roads available that climb out of the low lying areas.

Allow me to digress for a moment. I've always wondered how one goes from being a 'member' to being a 'senior member'. Help me out here............ ;)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
How do you do that when you don't even know what kind of rider Phinney is going to turn into? Chances are he'd need a reduced group sprint finish, but right now he can't get over them hills.

At least he is improving:eek:
He looked quite ok on the hills at the eneco tour when he had pretty good form.
and he finished 24th in the worlds:eek: but it doesnt mean much if even cav can get over them and finish 1st.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
How do you do that when you don't even know what kind of rider Phinney is going to turn into? Chances are he'd need a reduced group sprint finish, but right now he can't get over them hills.

did you not see the :rolleyes:?

have a few more :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Glad its Richmond USA not Richmond UK. All hell would break loose believe me, a lot of very upset and traumatized locals and car drivers etc.

;)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
Glad its Richmond USA not Richmond UK. All hell would break loose believe me, a lot of very upset and traumatized locals and car drivers etc.

;)

whoa whoa dont be too quick to judge. You are of course talking about Richmond part of London, not the town Richmond in Yorkshire. Which I am sure would put on a great race. Thinking about it after this weekends borefest (cept for excellent outcome for Cav :) ) why shouldnt Yorkshire get the WCRR, would be a great place for a long one day race.

Where is Richmond in US we are talking of, which state is it?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:

we do know. Not quite as good as all the hype. I feel a bit for him really, way too much expectation put upon him

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
FignonLeGrand said:
whoa whoa dont be too quick to judge. You are of course talking about Richmond part of London, not the town Richmond in Yorkshire. Which I am sure would put on a great race. Thinking about it after this weekends borefest (cept for excellent outcome for Cav :) ) why shouldnt Yorkshire get the WCRR, would be a great place for a long one day race.

Where is Richmond in US we are talking of, which state is it?

Richmond London i was referring to yes.:) Richmond Yorkshire I've heard of via their local MP lol and would probably get a decent course.
Richmond USA somewhere in California? I have no idea.

Edit Carolina. I think.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
VA_25664.gif

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
hey all, I'm curious about this race. i am 19 right now. turned it in june. if i get on a team and everything that i need to would i be able to race the u23 race at virginia? or do you have to be under 23. sorry i am new to all of this. hopefully this will help me out. thanks

The cut-off for U23 this year was 1989: Anybody born in 1989 was eligible, those born New Year's Eve 1988 were not.
So, in 2015 the oldest riders will be born in 1993 - sorry, no luck for you. Of course, you could always try to get a ride in the elite race... ;)

The 2007 US Cycling Open were held in Richmond, in a veritable snowstorm. Tuft won solo in what must have been an awesome race (I've only read about it). It was early April though, so that probably won't happen for the Worlds. :(

A

Anonymous

Hopefully, they will be able to add the Pocahontas parkway bridge. Long and pretty steep. I looked for some pictures online, but none do it justice. I am just not sure they would logistically be able to work it in, but I hope they do. Past that, there are some short steep stuff, but nothing brutal and overly long. Not as hilly as Philly and sprints are the norm there. I think we might hear the same complaints we heard about yesterday's race honestly.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Descender said:
Granted, Florence 2013 and Ponferrada 2014 will be the hardest WC since Duitama 1995, perhaps with the exception of Mendrisio 2009.

If the organizers get their wish, Ponferrada will be harder than Duitama. They want to finish the race at the top of El Morredero