• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders You Hate

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I like Marmot's answer. :)

They got caught doping?

That's only a part of it. Its more that they got caught and made such terrible excuses. Excuses that were an insult to the average persons intelligence. Stuff like 'I took the blood out, but didn't put any back in ...... yet' or 'My injuries caused a false positive', 'I've came back positive because I have a genetic clone' or w/e lame excuse that Hamilton tried.
My favorites though (and hence most disliked, like others have said, I don't hate these guys, how can I? I've never even met them) are Valverde and Kash. These guys are so shameless that they don't even try to claim that they are innocent. Rather they say they can't be punished because the means by which they were caught infringed their civil liberties. And yes, I realise that legally Valverde probably has a point when he says this. But that doesn't mean I have to like it or him!

Given my reasoning, I could easily add guys like schumacher, LA etc. But those were the names that came to mind first.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Let's officially change the thread to dislike, so it's riders you dislike okay.

How about riders you enjoy seeing dropped?

In the early 90's, I hoped for someone to beat Indurain - the Pete Sampras of cycling at the time. Paint drying indeed! I suppose many felt/feel the same about Armstrong. I must admit I enjoyed seeing Marco Pantani spank Bjarney Riis, and every time Richard Verinque, Cadel Evans, or Alexandre Vinokorov bonked. Watching Petacchi and Farrar nip Cavendish was enjoyable.

But my favorite schadenfreude moment was watching ChickenLegs, Michael Rassmussen absolutely crater in the TdF ITT several years ago.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I don't hate any of them either, but one guy that I couldn't stand to watch was Fernando Escartin. Dude had one of the ugliest pedaling styles ever.

Hey, thanks. I was trying to think of Escartin's name earlier today. On topic, I certainly don't hate anybody, and that includes cyclists. S**t, I don't even know 'em, I just watch 'em race and read what the tabloids write about 'em. And I certainly believe every single thing I read because I know it's all true. :p

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Grahame Brown - I don't hate him as thats a waste of energy - but its hard to name someone else with as big and ugly an ego, who only delivers excuses and not results on the road.

Don't know how you can hate him, have met him a couple of times and he seems like a really nice genuine bloke.

Don't know how anyone could hate, or even really dislike Perico. Very affable, and friendly guy with an easy smile and a great riding style.

Blakeslee said:
The UCI and the Spanish Cycling Federation are also up there for me continuing to drag their heels on taking action against Valverde.
You mean "every rider, doctor, and person associated with Operation Puerto, (including futbol and tennis players)". Instead of just "Valverde", right?

With Indurain from about 1990 through 1995 he seemed to never attack in the mountains, just tag along with other riders at the front. It was really dull to watch. So in 1996 when he finally cracked, it had me with a smile on my face.

Though I'm not a Lance fan, I wasn't a Jan fan either, and watching Lance drop him, at least through 2002, was good. In 2003 I found myself cheering for Jan, as he was such an underdog then.

Loved watching Vino get dropped. Kloden too.

In today's world, I'd like to see Lance get dropped, sure. Same with Ricco when he comes back. Mazzolini if he ever comes back. Even though I kind of like Levi and Cadel, Menchov...but I guess anyone who just sits near the front and never does anything bold I'm going to cheer them getting dropped.

I was never a big Pantani fan, but I liked the way he dropped others, if that makes sense. Same with Heras, Simoni & Jiminez.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Don't know how anyone could hate, or even really dislike Perico. Very affable, and friendly guy with an easy smile and a great riding style.

You mean "every rider, doctor, and person associated with Operation Puerto, (including futbol and tennis players)". Instead of just "Valverde", right?

With Indurain from about 1990 through 1995 he seemed to never attack in the mountains, just tag along with other riders at the front. It was really dull to watch. So in 1996 when he finally cracked, it had me with a smile on my face.

Though I'm not a Lance fan, I wasn't a Jan fan either, and watching Lance drop him, at least through 2002, was good. In 2003 I found myself cheering for Jan, as he was such an underdog then.

Loved watching Vino get dropped. Kloden too.

In today's world, I'd like to see Lance get dropped, sure. Same with Ricco when he comes back. Mazzolini if he ever comes back. Even though I kind of like Levi and Cadel, Menchov...but I guess anyone who just sits near the front and never does anything bold I'm going to cheer them getting dropped.

I was never a big Pantani fan, but I liked the way he dropped others, if that makes sense. Same with Heras, Simoni & Jiminez.

So who are you cheering on then in the Tour?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
In keeping with the thread topic: Armstrong

"The Tour was a bit of a joke this year. I've got nothing against Sastre … or Christian Vande Velde. Christian's a nice guy, but finishing fifth in the Tour de France? Come on!" - Armstrong

He's such a nice fella this Lance, ain't he?

TRENDING THREADS