• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riding the Giro routes..

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I am new to the forum here and I am wondering if anyone has any experience "riding" along with the Giro d'Italia. I am a bike racer from Michigan and this is my first trip to Italy/Europe. I am flying into Venice on the 16th and from there i plan on following the last 2 weeks of the Giro. I am bringing my bike and plan on doing as many of the major passes as I can. My only question is, how easy is this to do on race day? Do they close of the roads for the race? Do you have to ride so far ahead of/behind the race? I know for the mountaintop finishes (Zoncolan) they close them day of the stage, but what about the day before? Any tips on how to succesfully ride the stages would be of great help.

thank you all

jason

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
If you simply use your bike, it won't be a great difficulty to ride ahead of the field (with 1 or 2 hours, maybe even closer).
(partial) car is different: the often close the roads hours before the riders arrive.

Mountains could be a bit different, because they often have to build barriers and bring some stuff to the top.
eg.: the day before the mountain ITT the route is usually closed for some hours for an official training (because it's rest day).

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
awesome, thanks for the info. The only mountaintop finish that i want/will be able to ride is Zoncolan. I have planned on doing Monte Crostis and it the day before the stage finishes there. I will be doing all by bike, no car. I have not done this before. Any other advice?

thank you very much

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Be aware that already 1 hour in advance you will get the organization's cars and also police on the traffic crossing (?? sorry if mispelling) so I guess you'd need to ride much more in advance or just wait for them to pass.

DMJY510

BANNED
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
hi,do you know me?I think you must have never know me,I am new here,you will be familiar with me in the future,please remmember me,I am dmjy510,a special name and it is easy to keep it in mind.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have in the past assisted at stages of the Giro, i am italian, and lived in the states. As far as the same day race there is no problem at all. the only problem is they will not allow you to cross the finish line. Italian love to climb the mountains before the race is on, so you should not have a problem for the Zoncolan I suggest you have compact and why not a 29- 30 cassette in the back I saw people climbing with a mountain bike going close to 1 mile an hour and yes! I never thought you could hold the balance at that speed, but you can.
jmulawa said:
Hello everybody,

I am new to the forum here and I am wondering if anyone has any experience "riding" along with the Giro d'Italia. I am a bike racer from Michigan and this is my first trip to Italy/Europe. I am flying into Venice on the 16th and from there i plan on following the last 2 weeks of the Giro. I am bringing my bike and plan on doing as many of the major passes as I can. My only question is, how easy is this to do on race day? Do they close of the roads for the race? Do you have to ride so far ahead of/behind the race? I know for the mountaintop finishes (Zoncolan) they close them day of the stage, but what about the day before? Any tips on how to succesfully ride the stages would be of great help.

thank you all

jason

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Jason go to my blogs Parrabuddy etc . I am already in Torino and plan to be at the finish after riding reach stage the next 3 weeks .
This is my 13th edition of Giro and will be my 14th TDF :

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
JPbianchi said:
Hi I have in the past assisted at stages of the Giro, i am italian, and lived in the states. As far as the same day race there is no problem at all. the only problem is they will not allow you to cross the finish line. Italian love to climb the mountains before the race is on, so you should not have a problem for the Zoncolan I suggest you have compact and why not a 29- 30 cassette in the back I saw people climbing with a mountain bike going close to 1 mile an hour and yes! I never thought you could hold the balance at that speed, but you can.

Thanks for the advice! I bought a compact and a 12-27 so im hoping that will be good. Campy only barely fits a 29 tooth cog so 27 it is. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? haha

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
skippy said:
Jason go to my blogs Parrabuddy etc . I am already in Torino and plan to be at the finish after riding reach stage the next 3 weeks .
This is my 13th edition of Giro and will be my 14th TDF :

thanks! can you PM me the link to your blog?

TRENDING THREADS