• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I really thought he was in amazing shape after the time trial, in don't quite get how he, as a rather mediocre tt'er can be so average on the climbs after destroying everything in a tt

To me he looks more muscular than in his Sky days (in my opinion) which would explain his improvement in TT's but slight decline in climbing.

Red Rick said:
I really thought he was in amazing shape after the time trial, in don't quite get how he, as a rather mediocre tt'er can be so average on the climbs after destroying everything in a tt

To me he improved his TT. But it was really a combination of several factors:

- The other big TT hitters are not here in the Giro
- Roads were drying up when he was on the road.
- He took bigger risks on the descend.
- He worked on his TT.

Other than that he looks like the same Uran in the mountains.

Not trashing anything just stating what I'm seeing. His performances uphill at the Giro 2013 were definitely better than what we're witnessing now.

And I was of course trolling a little, but it wouldn't be the first time Omega Quickstep and all of its iterations ruins a climber.

Pippo_San said:
Not trashing anything just stating what I'm seeing. His performances uphill at the Giro 2013 were definitely better than what we're witnessing now.

And I was of course trolling a little, but it wouldn't be the first time Omega Quickstep and all of its iterations ruins a climber.

Deleted my message. I realized you were trashing the DS not Uran. Uran tried but couldn't.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
He should thank Majka, Pozzo, Henao and others for still be in 2nd. One of the lamest rides of the year, cooked or not you're the maglia rossa!... he doesn't even try... put your nose at the front for a milisecond!

sorry about the grammar

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
To me Uran is a very good rider, just not one of those who win a GT. On this Giro he is a top 8 climber and a top 8 time trialist. This means he is regular and strong and is top5 material. To me this is who he is : a rider who has the abilities to do top5s on GTs, and can get a few podiums in his carreer, which is already great. But he is no winner material.

You have to remember that he benefited massively from the TTT as well. Without it he would be behind guys like Rolland and Hesjedal. He should be able to cling to his second consecutive podium thanks to the ITT, but in terms a pure abilities, he is top5 material.

veji11 said:
To me Uran is a very good rider, just not one of those who win a GT. On this Giro he is a top 8 climber and a top 8 time trialist. This means he is regular and strong and is top5 material. To me this is who he is : a rider who has the abilities to do top5s on GTs, and can get a few podiums in his carreer, which is already great. But he is no winner material.

You have to remember that he benefited massively from the TTT as well. Without it he would be behind guys like Rolland and Hesjedal. He should be able to cling to his second consecutive podium thanks to the ITT, but in terms a pure abilities, he is top5 material.

+1. Pretty much agree with you except for the TTT part in which he had to help a lot anyway. So part of that time is on him also.

Guybrush said:
He should thank Majka, Pozzo, Henao and others for still be in 2nd. One of the lamest rides of the year, cooked or not you're the maglia rossa!... he doesn't even try... put your nose at the front for a milisecond!

Most of the GC contenders looked very tired at the end of the stage. That is what happens when you put three monster climbs in a stage. Which I like really. But then it becomes a race of survival pretty much. So if Uran was weak so were all the others.

veji11 said:

+1 well said. If he did win it, he'd be a one hit wonder like Hesjedal.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Stop with the 1 hit wonder stuff. Sastre is imo a superstar rider he was not a legend but he was a superstar and you do his name a disservice when saying that about Hesjedal as Hesjedal is nowere near Sastre. No one time winner is a one hit wonder, you must think their lucky or something?.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Also to add to that i think a one hit wonder is a rider who does it from a break maybe like if Arroyo won vs Basso that would be a one it wonder.

masking_agent said:
+1 well said. If he did win it, he'd be a one hit wonder like Hesjedal.

I won't go that far because he was already second last year. He can still win a Vuelta as well. He can win it as long as the big dogs don't go to the race. And by big dogs I call Quintana, Contador and Froome. Maybe Nibali as well. So he can compete with the rest for the win IMHO. Again, top 5 material if we include all riders.

Guybrush said:

sorry about the grammar

Even with the hugely edited footage that beIN was kind of enough to share with its viewers:mad:, I do recall seeing Uran at the front pulling his group. He wasn't totally negligent in that regard.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Angliru said:
Even with the hugely edited footage that beIN was kind of enough to share with its viewers:mad:, I do recall seeing Uran at the front pulling his group. He wasn't totally negligent in that regard.

imo he was. that's right, he did some little pulls at the front, but overall Sergio Henao was more into the race than him.

I like the guy, just feel upset by his performance. :(

When Froome was 27 years old, he wasn't nearly half (at least noticed) of what he's now.

Yes, he was second last year when his main rival was Cadel Evans, who's 10 years older.

He's second because of the ITT. Take it off and see what you got. I bet whatever you want that 2 days from now he won't do top 5 and will loose time to Quintana.

lenric said:
When Froome was 27 years old, he wasn't nearly half (at least noticed) of what he's now.

Yes, he was second last year when his main rival was Cadel Evans, who's 10 years older.

He's second because of the ITT. Take it off and see what you got. I bet whatever you want that 2 days from now he won't do top 5 and will loose time to Quintana.

Why should you remove the ITT from the standings? It's part of the race.

After seeing this Giro I'd say he's more of a Tour rider, what do you guys think?

TRENDING THREADS