• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RIP Antoine Demoitié

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
RIP Antoine Demoitié

Antoine Demoitié has died in hospital in Lille following his crash during Gent-Wevelgem on Sunday. The Belgian rider, who raced for Wanty-Groupe Gobert, was 25 years old.

Demoitié crashed with four other riders in Sainte-Marie-Cappel with 115 kilometres remaining, during the race’s brief loop across the border into France. As Demoitié lay on the ground, he was then reportedly struck by a following race motorbike.

Demoitié was initially taken to hospital in Ypres, before being quickly transferred to the intensive care unit of the university hospital in Lille due to the gravity of his condition.

After Gent-Wevelgem finished on Sunday evening, the Wanty-Groupe Gobert team issued an update on social media describing Demoitié’s condition as “extremely serious” and reporting that his wife and family had come to the hospital in Lille.

Shortly after midnight local time, AFP and Directvelo.com reported that Demoitié had died as a result of his injuries. "The rider died. An inquiry is under way to determine the circumstances," Frederic Evrard, a spokesman for the Nord-Pas-de-Calais regional gendarmerie in France, told AFP.

A native of Liège, Demoitié signed for Wanty-Groupe Gobert during the winter after spending three seasons at the Wallonie-Bruxelles team. His most notable victory came at the Tour du Finistère in 2014. Demoitié had begun the 2016 season well, placing third on the opening stage of Etoile des Bessèges and second at Dorpenomloop Rucphen two weeks ago.

CeetSDmW4AAoacp.jpg:large

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
What happened?
Apparently, he crashed and a moto rode into him today in G-W

I wouldn't label it as a 'moto fault. In some cases cyclcists are as much to blame for what happens on the road if they dont pay attention. I don't know the full story, but is it confirmed it was 100% moto rider fault?

Re: Re:

Gloin22 said:
LaFlorecita said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
What happened?
Apparently, he crashed and a moto rode into him today in G-W

I wouldn't label it as a 'moto fault. In some cases cyclcists are as much to blame for what happens on the road if they dont pay attention. I don't know the full story, but is it confirmed it was 100% moto rider fault?
No I am not saying it was the moto's fault. But he crashed with 3 others and then got hit by a moto. I wouldn't call it not paying attention.

Damn, even if he survives, it's obviously going to be at least career-altering if not life-altering. Obviously we all hope for the best. Sad, he'd been doing so well with Wallonie-Bruxelles, he had been deserving of the step up for a while, and as soon as he gets it, something like this happens.

Motorbikes hitting riders is of course nothing new, but it is happening with alarming regularity over the last couple of years, far more incidents than I can remember in the preceding few years. Some have been due to recklessness, some are just bad luck with the roads crowded with the race caravan, team cars, motos, commissaires and so on. We're perhaps lucky that so many of them have not had any lasting effects, but hopefully somebody doesn't have to die, whether it be Demoitié or anybody else, for something to be done about it. Hopefully Boucher's tweet is based on second-hand info that's been mis-reported to him, since the latest we have has him still with us. I'm sure he'll be happy to be wrong.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The most horrible thing is that a pro-cyclist has no morale and brings (wrong) news first, before the team/familie does.

Imagine his parents/friends who reading on twitter from some random cyclist your son/friend has passed away. While it's not true.

It really makes me sick.

Re: Antoine Demoitié in Critical Condition

You know I don't care if it was his or the moto's fault, the number of motorbikes is simply too high. I mean can it even be the riders fault if he collides with a moto? The rider is the one who is racing the motorbike rider the one who must watch the cyclists and if he can't be sure if he is in a safe situation he simply has to stop. The cyclists have priority on the road and if there is a moto in there way its not their but the moto's problem.

I just can't believe this is happening. You know, there are motorcycle collisions like GVA in San Sebastian last year which are simply annoyingly but this is just unbelievable. Even the race organizers now have to see that they have to reduce the number of motos. They can't ignore it any longer.

Re: Antoine Demoitié in Critical Condition

I don't want to believe it. I Hope it's the second time that we get wrong info. Life is so much more important than a cycling race. Who cares when Sagan gets 2nd, argue if GVA sucks wheels, or Nacer zig-zags, and so forth. Life is so much more than a race. I still hope he's OK.