• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Road Cycling in Bavaria

Aug 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,
My partner and I are off to Bavaria (near Rosenheim) in a couple of weeks. We've never been before and we're bringing our road bikes because the mountains look amazing, but the only info I can find is on mountain biking. Has anyone ever done any road cycling in that region? Especially big climbs. Thanks.

I'm not local to the area, but in my opinion komoot is usually a great source when you are planning bike rides in areas unfamiliar to you. In the route planner tool there are plenty of nice and quiet roads recommended by other users.
From my own experience (that is holidays in the Bavarian Alps, but not on a road bike), Walchensee and the upper Isar from Wallgau are beautiful, there are some roads which require a fee from drivers so they should be relatively quiet. The road from Mittenwald to Leutasch through the gorge is nice too. Don't know much about the roads further east. Hope this helps to get you started.

Quaeldich.de is your one-stop shop for information on rides in Germany and Germanophone Europe. How proficient you are as riders and how much endurance you wish for will impact what options you have. In a pretty close circle from Rosenheim, you could try riding up to the Spitzingsee - Spitzingsattel isn't a long climb but it's very steep, and the views are excellent too. There is a much longer but easier back route from Rottach-Egern which approaches the lake from the south and isn't accessible to cars for the most part, so that's an option. This is perhaps the easiest way to combine Schliersee, Tegernsee and Spitzingsee for a three lake tour.

TRENDING THREADS