• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Im looking for some feedback on the best road pedals to buy. I plan on doing a lot of crits and road races next year. I currently have look keo pedals. I've had problems in crits races at the start locking in and loose time.

I have heard the speedplay zero series titanium pedals would be a good value.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
used look keos which in design are more or less the same as shimano. went to speedplay never going back adjustable free float light weight great cornering clearance very easy to get in and out of. the opinion of myself and many others is that they are simply the best all round package. give them a try.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The Sppedplays are a pain if you plan to do much riding in sloppy conditions. The mechanism is easily clogged with dirt and debris. Otherwise, they are awesome.

I use Shimano Ultegras. The cleats wear out a little faster than some other models, but the design is solid, performance is good and reliable, and cost is relatively low.

johnha71@yahoo.com said:
Im looking for some feedback on the best road pedals to buy. I plan on doing a lot of crits and road races next year. I currently have look keo pedals. I've had problems in crits races at the start locking in and loose time.

I have heard the speedplay zero series titanium pedals would be a good value.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Zeros are great pedals, 2 sided, easy to get into and out of. Ti pedal spindles are a bunch more $ for not much weight savings tho. Yer $ tho.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
If I was doing crits, I might be using Speedplays. I had speedplays and I liked them fine except on climbs - hated them there. I don't do many crits, so I use Look keos. Main reason is I like feeling more pedal under my foot.

regarding clipping in, just practice, man. It took me a while to get the hang of it but there's a rhythm to getting into the Keos that I pretty much have now.

chorus said:
Has anyone had any experience using Campagnolo pedals? I've been on Keos for the last 3 years, they have been fine.

I went from Campagnolo ProFit to Speedplay Zeros. As pedals, they 'felt' the same. BUT I like the Speedplay cleat adjustability, 2 sided-ness, ability to service, longer spindles offered and the fact you can buy one pedal if you kill one.

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Pedals

I have just back to Keywins from Ultegra SPD-SL and love them all over again, not that common but lights, ruggard, every part replacable, different axle lengths, easy to walk in cleats, float (not sure why anybody uses float but anyway...) worth a look

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
I went to Speedplay's about 4 years ago and absolutely love them. I was using the Ti version but had to give those up. The spindles are shorter on the Ti than the stainless as I found out during a bike fit. If you do get them make sure to get the cleat covers. They come in super handy and are easily stored in your jersey pockets.

I found the float was more comfortable. Lots more power transfer when going up hill or kicking in the speed and the two sided entry is the best thing. As for dirt, etc. getting in. The ONLY time I have had that problem was when I got too far down a dirt road that turned to slop which neccessitated me having to get off the bike. Otherwise, rain and winter will not cause a problem.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm a speed play fan as well. Just one more point to add to speed plays. if you are doing crits the lean over angle is a few degrees more with speed plays then look or time.

I have the x put sort of wish I got the zeros.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
used look keos which in design are more or less the same as shimano. went to speedplay never going back adjustable free float light weight great cornering clearance very easy to get in and out of. the opinion of myself and many others is that they are simply the best all round package. give them a try.

I like the weight and the free float claims, unfortunately, a few of the riders I know with them seem to have a lot more trouble with getting in and out than I do with Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Speedplays all the way.
If you are not totally satisfied with the Keo, than why not try a pedal that operates on a completely different principle. The Shimano, Campy and Look pedals all work on the same cleat/spring retention principle, and thus share most of the same engagement/disengagement pros/cons...the Speedplays work by utilizing a spring clip design and the retention mechanism is now part of the cleat and not the pedal (so now you have an entirely new set of pros/cons..hahah) Once you get used to them they are super fast in and out, they are very lite and easy on your knees...and as far as cleats getting clogged, that's really more of an issue if you are using them for MTB riding - In which case you should go Crank Bros or Time.
The single-most common issue I have seen folks have with the Speedplays has to do with stability issues in the ankle, this athlete may not like the "feel" of the X series, since its retention does not "self-center" the riders foot over the pedal. In the recovery part of the pedal stroke the weak ankle will allow the heel to wander side to side, thus giving a feel instability (ice skating is the analogy usually given) which is readily visible and sometimes can lead to a premature release. The Zero series manage this with there cleat design which limits or can completely remove the amount of lateral rotation possible before disengagement.
Speedplays are light, minimal, easy on the knees and being double-sided, easy to engage.
See if a shop will let you try them out...

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
kiwiezy1 said:
I have just back to Keywins from Ultegra SPD-SL and love them all over again, not that common but lights, ruggard, every part replacable, different axle lengths, easy to walk in cleats, float (not sure why anybody uses float but anyway...) worth a look

Float was designed into the pedal/cleat interface so your knees don't suffer from the misalignment's between your hip and ankle which can lead to injury. The amount of float you may need depends on you and your pedaling/body eccentricities.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
St. Elia said:
I'm a speed play fan as well. Just one more point to add to speed plays. if you are doing crits the lean over angle is a few degrees more with speed plays then look or time.

I have the x put sort of wish I got the zeros.

The zeros are a very different pedal...come on you just want em cuz they come in red, blue and yellow...:D

CentralCaliBike said:
I like the weight and the free float claims, unfortunately, a few of the riders I know with them seem to have a lot more trouble with getting in and out than I do with Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL.

The cleats need to be flat, flat. Too often the cleats are installed with a wee bit of bow in them which does make for tougher entry/exit. They come with a bunch of shims for this reason.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I've used Speedplay Zero for a couple of years now...and absolutely love them..I had been experiencing excruciating pain on the outside of my left knee...switched over to Zeros on a recommendation from a friend and have never had knee pain issues again.....

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Speedplay make some very nice pedals, however I believe that from a comfort standpoint pedals are just behind the saddle on a riders overall comfort on a bike. When I was picking my pedal choice I was lucky in that my shoe choice was Sidi Genius 2. I just bought the plates for each of the pedal types I wanted to try and then got friends to loan me their pedals or demos from the manufactures via my LBS. After testing I found what worked for me and have stuck with it. The problem is what has worked for me was the original Time Titan Mag's, while I have been able to find good quality used pedals, cleats have been a tough part.

Find what works for you and stick with it. Ask friends and bike shops to try them out. Don't worry about getting into your pedals, all it takes is practice. When I started racing (with toe clips mind you), I would practice getting my foot in and out of the pedal. I would include it as part of my race warm up. When you find your pedal of choice with practice, clipping in and out becomes muscle memory. If not you are not practicing enough.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Not long ago, we saw the Nike LE Urban Jungle Pack Nike Air Max Terra Ninety , and every pair in this pack will release within the next couple of weeks. One pair has already leaked, which is the Nike B Huarache LE Urban Jungle.

This Nike B Huarache Nike Air 180 from the Urban Jungle Pack features a White / White - Khaki - Varsity Red colorway, but the tongue has multiple colors and designs. Finishing off the Nike B Huarache Urban Jungle is Mesh accents and a Air Bubble at the heel. Nike Air Structure Triax 91 Available now at RMK store on eBay.

TRENDING THREADS