• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robert Millar

I think BCF cut all their ties with Millar when Peter Keen was appointed head honcho in the 90s. Millar has gone to ground since then but nice to hear he is contributing again. Dont think SKY would fancy those stories about his rumoured sex-change.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:
ya mean RoberTA.
did he not get a sex change????????

so what if he did? doesn't mean he suddenly knows less about cycling, or that his achievements are any less valid.

Certainly, considering he must have been battling gender dysphoria throughout his career his performances are even more impressive.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
He used to live not far away from where I live, but he/she kept themselves to themselves, although the Daily Mail did run a story about it a few years ago.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
The "sex change" thing was just total bull****, just read In Search of Robert Millar by Richard Moore. Alas, back in those days it was the only way cycling could ever get any coverage in the British press. Now, after the Olympics and Cav's domination in the sprints, every ****ing "sports editor" has become an expert!

Vanderaerden's perm said:
The "sex change" thing was just total bull****, just read In Search of Robert Millar by Richard Moore. Alas, back in those days it was the only way cycling could ever get any coverage in the British press. Now, after the Olympics and Cav's domination in the sprints, every ****ing "sports editor" has become an expert!

Well all the tabloids here have become "experts" overnight, but they are experts in all sports of course. Yet, they always report things incorrectly. Ask them anything about the tactics anywhere in front of their face and away from any internet source, and they just start spouting their general BS and talk about the news stories instead.

The broadsheets, like The Times and The Guardian have always been decent when it comes to cycling, and Jim Holden in the Daily Express is very complimentary about the sport, and has been for a number of years now in his columns. We do have very good cycling journalists in the newspapers, just a shame that the national sports get s much coverage even when its not in season.

A

Anonymous

Big_Blue_Dave said:
The broadsheets, like The Times and The Guardian have always been decent when it comes to cycling,.

the observer has been a damn good read during the tour as well.. they have it on the shelf in one of our local pubs.. :D

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree. We do have some very good newspaper journalists covering cycling (Alisdair Fotheringham in The Independent for example). My gripe is that when cycling becomes popular (usually in July) sports editors like James Lawton (excellent on football and cricket) feel the need to write utter guff about something they know very little about. Ho-hum...that's life I suppose

Anyhoo, back to the thread, Millar did not have a sex change and lives his life like he rode a bike...on his own terms.

TRENDING THREADS