• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robin Williams's bike collection...

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That Russian Masi 3V Ma3N CCCP is so nutz! Had two California built 3v's from that era with Reynolds 753 tubes, and to this day no bikes I've owned since come close to the magic carpet ride of those frames.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
MWC said:
That Russian Masi 3V Ma3N CCCP is so nutz! Had two California built 3v's from that era with Reynolds 753 tubes, and to this day no bikes I've owned since come close to the magic carpet ride of those frames.

....actually you may wrong...I rode an Ilkeston Raleigh 753 Pro which as you pointed out was a magic carpet ride ....

...a while ago ran into a spread sheet of frame measurement numbers that went back into the 70's...it was info that covered just about every flexure measurement you could ask for....and it answered a question that had been kinda tickling my brain for a while.....what did my Colnago C40 remind me of ?.....well if the numbers translate into real world reality, that Raleigh was very very similar to the C40....in fact the numbers were pretty well dead nuts on....seems Donohue (sp?) who designed the 753 Pro and Ernesto were on the same page when it came to tuning a frame...and explains the rep the C40 has...

Cheers

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Some very nice bikes. Pegoretti's look lovely.

I guess the prices will rocket. I think a lot of people would like something that belonged to Williams.

Wonder will Armstrong buy 1.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
blutto said:
MWC said:

....actually you may wrong...I rode an Ilkeston Raleigh 753 Pro which as you pointed out was a magic carpet ride ....

...a while ago ran into a spread sheet of frame measurement numbers that went back into the 70's...it was info that covered just about every flexure measurement you could ask for....and it answered a question that had been kinda tickling my brain for a while.....what did my Colnago C40 remind me of ?.....well if the numbers translate into real world reality, that Raleigh was very very similar to the C40....in fact the numbers were pretty well dead nuts on....seems Donohue (sp?) who designed the 753 Pro and Ernesto were on the same page when it came to tuning a frame...and explains the rep the C40 has...

Cheers

While I'm sure your Raleigh Team Pro was a nice ride, not all 753 frames were alike. Your Raleigh was no doubt built with 753 but it was the smaller diameter "R" version for normal external lugs. The Masi 3v used the oversized version of 753 and was internally lugged. I get your comparison of the Raleigh to the C40, one of five Colnagos I've owned, but Masi's OS version of 753 rode more like a BiTitan than a C40. Still, I have had no bikes in any material that even come close to how those old Masi 3v's rode. Not one.

MWC said:
blutto said:
MWC said:

Cheers

While I'm sure your Raleigh Team Pro was a nice ride, not all 753 frames were alike. Your Raleigh was no doubt built with 753 but it was the smaller diameter "R" version for normal external lugs. The Masi 3v used the oversized version of 753 and was internally lugged. I get your comparison of the Raleigh to the C40, one of five Colnagos I've owned, but Masi's OS version of 753 rode more like a BiTitan than a C40. Still, I have had no bikes in any material that even come close to how those old Masi 3v's rode. Not one.

If you're looking for something that might come close can I suggest these?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-performance/volare/volare-853-fs

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
MWC said:
blutto said:
MWC said:

Cheers

If you're looking for something that might come close can I suggest these?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-performance/volare/volare-853-fs

Not looking brother. As good a bargain that is for an 853 frame I just have too many build projects going already ;)
-1974 Masi Gran Criterium
-1998 Colnago MasterXLight
-2000 Mondonico EL/OS