• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rock 'n' roll lube opinions please

Go for it

My regular group of riding buddies all swear by it. I have been a long-time user of DumondTech but am going to go with R&R Gold on a new project I'm building now.

I think in generally dry conditions it is supposed to be great. You'll have to re-lube more often than when using a wet lube but that really isn't that big a deal.

Let us know if you try it and your impressions...

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I use the absolute dry on my road bikes. Gold on my mountain bikes, which need the help with shifting (old XT, as opposed to Dura-Ace on my road bikes).

IMHO, it's the best stuff out there. I'd be shocked if you didn't love it. It does everything they say. Quiets the drivetrain and improves shifting. I find that it's easier to keep the drivetrain clean as well. The dry picks up less debris overall and the gold cleans and lubes as you apply it.

I do recommend it. I've been using it for years.

my $0.02

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I use it on one of my bikes and it works great. My other bike I use Prolink. It seems that R&R Gold goes longer between applications than Prolink.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Love it!!!

I use it on my road bikes and mountain bikes. :D

It's the cleanest stuff I've ever used. Be certain that once you switch to it that you use ONLY R&R...if you put anything else on top of it you'll end up with a black goopy mess that will need to be cleaned off.

It's also good to use on clipless pedals to keep the interface surface nice and slick for easy entry/exit and to eliminate those annoying cleat squeaks.

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine recommended it to me and I love it--it cleans and lubes all in one. Works great. I mainly do mountain biking now though. It helps keep my drivetrain clean as it doesn't attract as much dust/dirt.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
works for me

It's pricey, but the shifting is better afterwards and it picks up a lot less gunk than normal oils.

Dunno about chain wear, but I haven't noticed the lifespan being abnormally short.