• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roommates and I made a new cycling routing app!!

Jun 6, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

For the past 6 months I, with the help of my roommates, have been developing a new cycling routing web app for desktop that has all sorts of cool features. I've added a button that projects all the gravel roads from open street map data directly onto the map. I've added 28 routing profiles, so you can maximize hills, flats, unpaved, paved, etc. I have features that would definitely be premium in other apps (my app is completely free) like weather forecast polling along route given an entered timeframe with up to a 5-day forecast.

I even went down a rabbit hole, being fed up with "unknown" surface type you have to deal with with every other app, I implemented a system whereby the closest and newest satellite images are taken of unknown surface type roads and classified using AI as paved, gravel, dirt, or unpaved, how cool!

I'd love to hear some feedback, just an FYI, it's really not designed for mobile at this time, best accessed on a computer, it's being hosted from a server in my residential apartment's basement, so, if you can't route and just get a green dot, it's probably because a VPN is probably blocking port 8443.

So, if you're interested, the site is https://sherpa-map.com/

I've also dedicated a facebook page to it's updates, and I update often, feel free to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/people/Sherpa-Map/100090209792541

Here're a couple of screenshots to show the headline features:
AI Surface classification:
lBYeaUm.png

Weather polling along route:
d9pmTDB.png

Showing gravel on the map!
TZjvBKd.png

Reactions: Blimpie21
I would love to give you feedback but I also like my bank account and asking people to randomly click on something that don't know, from someone that they don't know is kind of a tall order and often a dangerous journey into the abiss..
One thing that I do find humorous.. roommate.. Always think of Seth Rogan sitting around with his roommates smoking mountains of pot and developing an app to identify nudity and sex in TV shows and movies.. Paul Rudd's character says " oh something like Mr. Skin" Rogan realizes that the app he is trying to develop already exists and is great and has widespread use..and has features that he never thought of.. Knocked Up is the movie.. and the roommates sitting in their think tank is way funny

Jun 6, 2023
Visit site
I would love to give you feedback but I also like my bank account and asking people to randomly click on something that don't know, from someone that they don't know is kind of a tall order and often a dangerous journey into the abiss..
One thing that I do find humorous.. roommate.. Always think of Seth Rogan sitting around with his roommates smoking mountains of pot and developing an app to identify nudity and sex in TV shows and movies.. Paul Rudd's character says " oh something like Mr. Skin" Rogan realizes that the app he is trying to develop already exists and is great and has widespread use..and has features that he never thought of.. Knocked Up is the movie.. and the roommates sitting in their think tank is way funny
Good points, I'm also weary of trusting people's sites. Feel free to ignore this, but we do have this served through Cloudflare with all the proper certs of HTTPS. Further, the site has no way whatsoever to add any type of billing, as it's completely free.

I'm actually quite glad that you posted this because people should generally be cautious, so in a sense, this was also good feedback.

TRENDING THREADS