• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Been a fan since 2012. I especially remember his 2013 Tour de France which was amazing... that Movistar-lineup was godlike.

IN the two last season, he has had TdF as his big goal, but has failed both times due to health problems etc. Should he try again next year? I mean, he could possibly get a top-10, but nothing more. 1 week stage races, ardennes... maybe the Giro, considering he is at Lampre? Or stagehunting in TdF? Im just not down on Rui's GC chances in a race like TdF, I wanna see him in attack mode if he goes again. Because Rui is one of the best stagehunters out there when he chooses to.

Imo if he really wants results in GT's he should do the Giro Vuelta next year. 2 opportunities to get experience and actual results in GTs. If that goes well he can try again at the Tour, otherwise he should focus on the classics and 1 week races.

Re:

Parrulo said:
Imo if he really wants results in GT's he should do the Giro Vuelta next year. 2 opportunities to get experience and actual results in GTs. If that goes well he can try again at the Tour, otherwise he should focus on the classics and 1 week races.

That's also an option, but I doubt it, altho I actually also would like to see that. Andalucia, T-A, Trentino, L-B-L, Giro - > Poland - > Vuelta or something similar would be great. But I think Lampre would love some extra of those WT point in lesser classics etc, while I suspect Rui will want to go to the Tour again.

Back into form. :)

Said it two days ago that he had shown good legs in Québec by being first responder to the attacks on Montagne along Kwiatkowski. Just like last year. Today he was the fastest but Wellens and Yates the ones with audacity, and deserved the first two places. Also happy to see him take the expenses of his group, leading down and up and still finishing third.

I hope for big things in Lombardia.

Third in L-B-L. Probably could have lend a better hand there in the finale but he was cooked and was first responder to Albasini and Poels more often than not. Really surprised he came second atop that cobbled wall glued to Albasini, he is much better on the steep stuff this year, where he used to completely bonk.

For all the work he doesn't do, he deserves extra credit for being the only team leader in the entire peloton who doesn't receive any help whatsoever from his team. I really don't understand Lampre, they have the most bizarre attitude I've ever seen. What was that pathetic attack from Ulissi all about? Why, oh why, is Lampre scattered around the pack throughout the entire race and not even once bothering to look out for their leader? I'm sorry, it's not because I'm Portuguese, but this really grinds my gears. Surely I can't be the only one who notices this, I mean, it happens in every single race. I'l genuinely pay 20€ for a screenshot of a Lampre block around Costa when he needs it.

Well, he can't really complain. He's the only lampre rider that had the possibility of choosing a personal helper and he chose his brother. Mário costa shouldn't be in pro-cotinental team, let alone a WT team.

He also never works for anyone, so why would a rider like ulissi work for him? Ulissi is one of the most important riders in the team, he's not going to work for rui without getting something in return.

However, I agree with you when you say there's something strange at lampre. From the outside it seems they don't really get along very well, but costa keeps saying he is very happy in there.

I have the impression they're a bit divided like astana. There is the italian group and then the rui costa group. It's not uncommon to see ulissi get some help, but only from certain riders. The same with rui.

Re:

carolina said:
Well, he can't really complain. He's the only lampre rider that had the possibility of choosing a personal helper and he chose his brother. Mário costa shouldn't be in pro-cotinental team, let alone a WT team.

He also never works for anyone, so why would a rider like ulissi work for him? Ulissi is one of the most important riders in the team, he's not going to work for rui without getting something in return.

However, I agree with you when you say there's something strange at lampre. From the outside it seems they don't really get along very well, but costa keeps saying he is very happy in there.

I have the impression they're a bit divided like astana. There is the italian group and then the rui costa group. It's not uncommon to see ulissi get some help, but only from certain riders. The same with rui.

The only riders I've ever seen genuinly helping Costa are Oliveira, Plaza and Serpa. All gone. I agree that he is not the kind of rider who helps others, I've stated that in the Flèche thread when I suggested he should have worked for Ulissi there risking some sort of payback, but the truth is this was something noticeable from the very moment he joined Lampre. The team itself is the main problem because they are not a team. Remember two years ago in Flèche when everyone was riding for themselves and Costa was taken out of contention (not that he was going to fight it up Huy) on the lead in to the town after a rogue Cunego, while finding himself a good spot in the front of the group, crashed in front of Costa and caused him a mechanical. Even then Ulissi was also riding for himself. Or a few days later when Rui crashed out of Liège still in the middle of the race because the rider (from another team) he was slipstreaming crashed in front of him. If he had a team around him, that wouldn't have happened. The thing is, Lampre doesn't even try. You wil often see a group by the rear of the peloton riding by each other and even talking while the leader is alone. Sects inside teams are not uncommon, but how come DS's don't do anything? They look just as apathetical and it's only gotten worse since Matxin left.

Re:

BigMac said:
Third in L-B-L. Probably could have lend a better hand there in the finale but he was cooked and was first responder to Albasini and Poels more often than not. Really surprised he came second atop that cobbled wall glued to Albasini, he is much better on the steep stuff this year, where he used to completely bonk.

For all the work he doesn't do, he deserves extra credit for being the only team leader in the entire peloton who doesn't receive any help whatsoever from his team. I really don't understand Lampre, they have the most bizarre attitude I've ever seen. What was that pathetic attack from Ulissi all about? Why, oh why, is Lampre scattered around the pack throughout the entire race and not even once bothering to look out for their leader? I'm sorry, it's not because I'm Portuguese, but this really grinds my gears. Surely I can't be the only one who notices this, I mean, it happens in every single race. I'l genuinely pay 20€ for a screenshot of a Lampre block around Costa when he needs it.

Wasn't Ulissi, I think it was Mori.

I think he deserved the 3rd place but not more: he buried himself going after Albasini on the cobbles and he never took a pull or tried to attack. He looked pretty much cooked. He would have a great career if he could take Lombardia and Liege but the truth is that he's never the best rider, there's always stronger riders to break him. Great effort though, I hope he can take some wins in his next few races and hopefully have a good late season targetting Lombardia.

About Lampre, it's just the price to pay to be a leader: he's not good enough to lead a major team so he has to do with a 3rd rate team in the biggest races; I think it suits him to be an under dog anyway.

I'm big fan of team Lampre but they're absolute disaster since Copeland is in charge.

Galbusera should put Saronni and Bontempi back in charge but doubt he has power to make that happen over Merida's choices.

Says a lot that Mori and Bono are still two important riders

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
carolina said:

The only riders I've ever seen genuinly helping Costa are Oliveira, Plaza and Serpa. All gone. I agree that he is not the kind of rider who helps others, I've stated that in the Flèche thread when I suggested he should have worked for Ulissi there risking some sort of payback, but the truth is this was something noticeable from the very moment he joined Lampre. The team itself is the main problem because they are not a team. Remember two years ago in Flèche when everyone was riding for themselves and Costa was taken out of contention (not that he was going to fight it up Huy) on the lead in to the town after a rogue Cunego, while finding himself a good spot in the front of the group, crashed in front of Costa and caused him a mechanical. Even then Ulissi was also riding for himself. Or a few days later when Rui crashed out of Liège still in the middle of the race because the rider (from another team) he was slipstreaming crashed in front of him. If he had a team around him, that wouldn't have happened. The thing is, Lampre doesn't even try. You wil often see a group by the rear of the peloton riding by each other and even talking while the leader is alone. Sects inside teams are not uncommon, but how come DS's don't do anything? They look just as apathetical and it's only gotten worse since Matxin left.

Polanc said the team is practically divided in two camps when both Ulissi and Costa are racing in the same race. He is one of Costa's men. And he does help him, believe me. I've seen him doing a lot of work for Costa in Pais Vasco this year and last year. Also in other races, including the ardennes classics. He'll do the same at the Tour. It's just that he is not experienced and strong enough to be with him in the finale of races such as LBL. And neither is Mario. I guess the third guy of Costa's camp today was Meintijes or did he have kind of a free role, I don't know. And you are exaggerating a bit. Yes they could be more organized but I'm sure I've seen today a group of three Lampre riders riding together (Mori, Meintijes and Costa behind them) in the final kilometers, I think it was just before Saint-Nicolas. And the same was in FW. So domestics do their work in Lampre. I agree they are not organized like in Sky or Movistar but then again neither the captains are as good as Froome or Valverde.

Although I have to congratulate Costa. He is one of the underrated riders in the peloton who is always there battling for the podium no matter what is the race. WC, classics, stage races, single stages, in March, June or September, doesn't matter. He is there all year long. He's no superstar like Valverde, but often finds ways to be in the decisive moves. I like him. Great rider.

Re:

drebelo said:
Anyone kows what will be his objectives for the season, and more important of all what will be his role in a tottaly renew team?
He’ll certainly ride the Ardennes. His record there is good enough that he’ll probably be on equal or near equal protected status with Martin. Other than that, week-long stage races, stage hunting/supporting Martin/Aru at a GT or 2, late season classics and Worlds.

Re:

drebelo said:
Anyone kows what will be his objectives for the season, and more important of all what will be his role in a tottaly renew team?

It will be interesting to see. If only one or other of Martin and Aru had joined, there would be plenty of room for him left as a leader. But with Aru and Martin both ahead of him in the pecking order and likely to be riding very different calendars from each other it gets trickier. Martin in particular poses a problem because his specialties map quite closely onto Costa’s and he’s better at them. Costa though is not one of nature’s domestiques so it’s very hard to see him in a support role regularly.

UAE, back when they were Lampre were notorious for not riding as a team. That used to work against Costa, but now, if the team is still a bit free-for-all in its approach, it might work for him. Perhaps he gets a lot of free roles or protected status and as a shrewd tactical rider he could benefit from being in the shadow of a teammate.

TRENDING THREADS