• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Running in a cycling jersey?

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I don't cycle very much but I am a runner. I'm looking to get my gear sorted for the winter and I was wondering about cycling jerseys. Are they comfortable to run in? Do they ride up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gavin.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Pay attention to the cut of the jersey. A really nice cycling jersey will be specifically designed for a riding position (i.e. sitting and hunched over). This would mean the jersey is too short and tight in the front and long and wide in the back while standing and running.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Pay attention to the cut of the jersey. A really nice cycling jersey will be specifically designed for a riding position (i.e. sitting and hunched over). This would mean the jersey is too short and tight in the front and long and wide in the back while standing and running.

This. The Decca jerseys don't have this as much in my experience though. Nor have the jerseys of Vermarc. You could try those :)

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
I do run in jersey when doing duathlon or brick cycling/runing, and i am not happy. It is so skiny and tight:eek:
P.S. But you can carry food or small things in pockets.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
oldborn said:
I do run in jersey when doing duathlon or brick cycling/runing, and i am not happy. It is so skiny and tight:eek:
P.S. But you can carry food or small things in pockets.

I mostly go running w/o shirt or with a football shirt -Chelsea FC that is :p- those are great imo :)

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
If you're are set on a bike jersey style shirt look into some of the triathlon gear out there. It kind of compromises on the fit to be comfortable for either.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
patterson_hood said:
Hi,

I don't cycle very much but I am a runner. I'm looking to get my gear sorted for the winter and I was wondering about cycling jerseys. Are they comfortable to run in? Do they ride up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gavin.

I'd go for a run and see if it's workable.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
For sure wear your cycling jerseys for running, and caps too. If you wear a helmet when you run I'll personally reach through the computer screen and punch you. I roll the sleeveless for running though, hot engine, need to breathe, no need for sleeves.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
If you wear a helmet when you run I'll personally reach through the computer screen and punch you.

How about with these?

sidi_ergo_2_vernice_bz.jpg

:p

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
I mostly go running w/o shirt or with a football shirt -Chelsea FC that is :p- those are great imo :)

With Anelka name on it? Dude:mad:
Do not forget to place sticking plaster on niples for longer distance, it can be vary bad when bleeding like Jesus:eek:

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
joe1265 said:
you'd be a total dork running in a cycling jersey. Do cyclist train wearing those short-short running shorts? NO WAY

just sayin.........

To be honest that doesn't really bother me, as long as I'm comfortable and warm/cool enough I'm happy.

knewcleardaze said:
I'd go for a run and see if it's workable.

I don't own a cycling jersey though, the extent of me riding my bike is slow family rides so I've never felt the need for specific clothing.

liftman said:
If you're are set on a bike jersey style shirt look into some of the triathlon gear out there. It kind of compromises on the fit to be comfortable for either.

Thanks for the tip I'll have a look.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
I have no problem with bleeding nipples:p and no, with my name on it :p

Then you are only ever Belgium Dude playing for Chelsea:p Wait and you will see Modrić signed for them next week;)

Of course, do it. If you have a comfortable jersey, why not use it for running? Plus it's got the practical pockets on the back. Don't put your bottle or anything heavy in it, though, it bounces around to much and is not comfortable.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
i have many times in winter as they can be just enough for a cooler day. who cares what the fashion police say? you leave them behind pretty quick.
no helmets as RDV said;)

I think the fashion police would have a field day with me anyway, running in a cycling jersey would be the least of my problems. I particularly want it for cooler winter/autumn days when a tshirt isn't enough but baselayers of wind-cheater running jackets are too much/too baggy and catch the wind.

zapata said:
Of course, do it. If you have a comfortable jersey, why not use it for running? Plus it's got the practical pockets on the back. Don't put your bottle or anything heavy in it, though, it bounces around to much and is not comfortable.

Thanks for the advice, the main thing is I don't currently own one and didn't want to spend the money if it was a silly idea.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
For sure wear your cycling jerseys for running, and caps too. If you wear a helmet when you run I'll personally reach through the computer screen and punch you. I roll the sleeveless for running though, hot engine, need to breathe, no need for sleeves.

Lol...I want to see this be a trend...running helmets...perhaps Giro should look into this...they could put a computer radar on them as well so you don't run into the back of suvs or into poles...a sorta beeping system that you are getting close to stuff...sounds like a livestrong product...I like it....

TRENDING THREADS