• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sam Oomen Discussion

oomen-20-verrast-met-derde-plaats-in-criterium-international.jpg

Nice to see another young rider do well this week, looks like a good Dutch prospect for the future, another climbing talent at giant alongside Tom D, Barguil and Ten Dam

He got some great results last year including forth in Avenir, now he is starting to show his talent as a pro rider.

This guy could be a real star in the future

Seeing his performances this year makes me wonder what Mathieu Van der Poel could do already in the peloton, since they are from the same dutch generation and competed against each other in the juniors. :p

From the same generation, Mads Pedersen won today the Gent - Wevelgem U23.

Great performance, earned a supporter today!

Too early to say. Also. Look to the incredible amount of bad luck Gesink had in his career. People are very forgetful and easy to overlook this fact.

How many cyclists even returned succesfully to cycling after a complicated legbreak? Look at Gerdemann, close to winning Tirreno before, nothing even close to that after his leg break.
And then there is all the other events Gesink had to endure. It's really no comparison.

Gesink was perhaps the most talented Dutch cyclist in 15 years, he a lot of impressive results, maybe even more impressive, then Dumoulin, Mollema, Kelderman etc at the same age, especially already before he turned even 22.. But we all know why it never amounted to something great. And it had nothing to do with his mental state or lack of talent. It's getting tiresome. The guy just didn't have any luck.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Even despite all his problems, Gesink is a true winner. Montreal, Quebec, 2x Emilia, Oman, California...

How many pro-cyclist can say that?

As you know, I watched as much of the CI as I could possibly watch, and even re-re-re-watched stage 3. I didn't know this kid. More than the result, which is great in itself, it's his composure on the bike when things unraveled that impressed me. Oomen is for real. How good can he be? I don't know. But he's on my radar now.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Even despite all his problems, Gesink is a true winner. Montreal, Quebec, 2x Emilia, Oman, California...

How many pro-cyclist can say that?
Gesink has also misfortune of hell. Tour 2009 he broked his wrist, Vuelta 2009 he fell again and bye bye the GC victory or podium , Tour 2012 he fell, leg broken, his dad passed away, heart problems, wife's health... Too much for one man.

I think what impressed me most about Oomen was his patience. When Craddack attacked it looked like he might get dropped, but he rode like a pro, kept his own pace, kept up with Craddack and attacked him at the right time. Granted, he lost the white jersey to Latour by :26, but his riding was smart throughout.

The Dutch ninja has been really consistent so far in the Giro. Outside of the top 30 (32nd) in one stage, inside the top 15 in one stage (14th). Rest is between 15th and 30th. He sits inconspicously in 15th overall. I suspect he'll end up around there in the end, as well. Will be interesting to see him on the Zoncolan. Oomen could be vital for Dumoulin in the last week.

Oomen is on a good last week in this Giro, and yet he's been able to do very little for Dumoulin. Seemed pretty mad about that himself in the interview, how much Dumoulin needed him and how badly he wanted to be there.

Would be nice if he can finish his 2nd GT in the top 10.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Oomen is on a good last week in this Giro, and yet he's been able to do very little for Dumoulin. Seemed pretty mad about that himself in the interview, how much Dumoulin needed him and how badly he wanted to be there.

He's doing great, but it's true that if Oomen would be to Dumoulin as Poels is to Froome in the last Tours and Vuelta, Dumoulin would probably be in pink.

Re: Re:

Bardamu said:
Red Rick said:

He's doing great, but it's true that if Oomen would be to Dumoulin as Poels is to Froome in the last Tours and Vuelta, Dumoulin would probably be in pink.
Yeah, but Poels is in his prime whereas Oomens is a 22 year old in his 2nd GT

If anything, the dumb thing is not bringing Kelderman as well, because I think the extra equity for a Dumoulin Giro victory was worth more than a Kelderman 7th place in the Tour, and that is optimistic

But hindsight is 20/20.

Red Rick said:
Bardamu said:
Red Rick said:

If anything, the dumb thing is not bringing Kelderman as well, because I think the extra equity for a Dumoulin Giro victory was worth more than a Kelderman 7th place in the Tour, and that is optimistic

But hindsight is 20/20.
Oh it was no bash to Oomen at all, he is doing great. We'll see much of him in the future, both in classics as in the GT's. But in the end Dumoulin had to do everything himself again and although that's often enough, on days like this you need a rider who is as good as you in your team.

Re:

roundabout said:
Somewhat surprising that the tactic today did not seem to be to stay with Dumoulin as long as possible even at the cost of a GC place. Or maybe it was, but it's harder to execute than it seems.

He said he coudn't follow the group on the Finestre, so staying with Tom was probably the idea but it didn't work.

Red Rick said:
Bardamu said:
Red Rick said:

But hindsight is 20/20.

Pretty disappointed in Vervaeke as far as this is concerned. Apparently he was aiming for week 3, but he got sick during the restday, and only rode his timetrial at 80%. It's difficult to predict just how much he's been set back by the past 2 seasons, and even more difficult to assess how much he worked off camera. But the guy that was following Contador and Quintana in Pais Vasco two years ago, having the fastest climb in the ITT and finishing just outside the top 10 (one second behind Kelderman) seems long gone.