• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sastre just plain selfish

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
HeHE! The man who, even with severe erectile dysfunction, would refuse to take anything but bread and water. The penile moncoutie.
Herniated disk is quite serious. I am happy Sastre is taking care of himself.

hughmoore said:
Slightly off topic, but when Sastre rode away on Alp duez in 2008, has it been discussed about whether this was the team plan, or more a opportunity that he took and provided him with the win.

It was the plan. Riis talked to F.Schleck and Sastre on the eve of d'Huez telling them they must be ready to give up their own chances for each other if needed. His plan was for Carlos to attack first and when caught for Fränk to counter attack.

flicker said:
Herniated disk is quite serious. I am happy Sastre is taking care of himself.

Sorry, just browsing the thread I didn't notice that. Also, I don't know what herniated means..is it like one of the discs in his spine is displaced? Because that sounds VERY serious.

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Dealing with a herniated disc right now between my shoulder blades, its pretty serious stuff. Id challenge any1 to ride 2 hours with 1 let alone 3 weeks for multiple hours a day. 5 weeks wont be enough, i agree he should target the vuelta, especially with no valverde it needs a top spanish rider.

ttrider said:
well now its proved to be more serious than just a bad back and he isnt just being a pussy i take it back!

Your lack of understanding is amazing. Your lack of knowledge in this area, equally baffling. You called him a disgrace and selfish and now that you accept "proof" of his injury from a newsgroup post; you won´t call him a "pussy", instead you´ll take it back. Why not follow one of the Forums thread´s advice and think before posting. Better yet, do a little homework before publicly smearing someone you´ve never met and obviously know little about.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Still no word on his decision if he will ride for Le Tour? I thought a decision was going to be made late last week, but for now, still nothing.

My guess is he doesn't ride. I think he should recharge his batteries, get healthy, and target the Vuelta.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I just read the whole thread, a lot of ado about nothing, but rather informative for those new to following racing other than a certain texan.

More to the point, the thread should have just auto locked with BD's retort to the Don Limpio question/post.

Hit that high note and get off the stage, that's how they roll at Kruger industrial smoothing.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Carlos Sastre: “I want to ride the Tour”

Carlos Sastre is pleased to announce that he will be able to participate in the 2010 Tour de France. Sastre decided together with the medical team of Cervélo TestTeam that he will be able to start in the race that he won in 2008. “I want to ride the Tour, and I do so with the desire to always perform at the highest level,” said Sastre.

Will this mean that he won't ride the vuelta, or will he ride all three again this year

I never saw this thread before. It is a bit absurd. This sport is incredibly demanding and it should be no surprise that riders have a bad year every once in a while. Sastre is seemingly dealing with several injuries this year.

Barrus said:
Will this mean that he won't ride the vuelta, or will he ride all three again this year

I would be shocked with all his injuries, but after his giro i didn't expect him to rider the tour either so who knows. You can bet that radioshack and vacansoleil are eagerly asking the same question.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
offbyone said:
I never saw this thread before. It is a bit absurd. This sport is incredibly demanding and it should be no surprise that riders have a bad year every once in a while. Sastre is seemingly dealing with several injuries this year.

I would be shocked with all his injuries, but after his giro i didn't expect him to rider the tour either so who knows. You can bet that radioshack and vacansoleil are eagerly asking the same question.

Cérvelo already has the wildcard, this won´t be taken from them even if Sastre won´t come

Barrus said:
Cérvelo already has the wildcard, this won´t be taken from them even if Sastre won´t come

The vuelta organizer sees it a bit differently

Asked if Cervélo had guaranteed the presence of Carlos Sastre at the Vuelta, which Guillén had previously insisted they must do to earn an invitation, Guillén said, "I was clear with Cervélo; the presence of Sastre is very important and there is an understanding with the team that he will be at the Vuelta with their best riders. Now it's all down to the rider himself. At the moment, we don't know if he will ride the Tour and if he does ride it we will have to see how he is when he finishes it."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-boss-defends-team-selections

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:

Words from Vuelta boss on the subject have been clear. More or less :D

Asked if Cervélo had guaranteed the presence of Carlos Sastre at the Vuelta, which Guillén had previously insisted they must do to earn an invitation, Guillén said, "I was clear with Cervélo; the presence of Sastre is very important and there is an understanding with the team that he will be at the Vuelta with their best riders. Now it's all down to the rider himself. At the moment, we don't know if he will ride the Tour and if he does ride it we will have to see how he is when he finishes it."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-boss-defends-team-selections

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
offbyone said:

Still does not mean that he´ll throw them out if Sastre won´t come. It is important, but a loophole is still open if Sastre doesn´t want to ride, or is not able to ride. As stated in that quote, it is left up to Sastre. Also I think that it would be a breach of contract for the Vuelta to take the wildcard away from Cérvelo, just because Sastre isn´t riding

TRENDING THREADS