• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saxo Bank, the company, is up for sale. what does this mean for the team?

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
it seams that Saxo Bank, the company, is up for sale. I'm wondering what implications this may have for Saxo Bank, the team.
It's no secret that they only renewed their sponsorship deal because Riis got Contador. The current Saxo Bank owners have said that they will continue to support the team regardless of the Contador outcome but what will the new owners do?
I'm guessing that Saxo has a escape clause in their sponsorship contract that would allow them to break the deal in the event of a doping scandal but this case is different. Contadors possitive has nothing to do with Riis or the team so I don't know if Saxo can legally break the deal anyway.

It will probably mean nothing at all. They only have a one year contract with Riis so even if new owners were to get aboard there is no telling how long that would take. Probably well into next year at least when it comes to possiblt taking actions with regards to a specific sponsor contract. The logical thing to do if they don't like the deal is to simply stop sponsoring the team at the end of the year when the contract runs out.

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I think your right. any kind of corporate deal is not going to happen overnight.
I'm feelling bad for Riis. Doesn't seem like the guy can catch a break. first he looses Andy, Frank and most of his team. Then he pulls off the deal of the century to get Contador only to have him suspended....for now. Then he looses Cancellara and now it seems like he may loose his sponsor.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dimtick said:
I think your right. any kind of corporate deal is not going to happen overnight.
I'm feelling bad for Riis. Doesn't seem like the guy can catch a break. first he looses Andy, Frank and most of his team. Then he pulls off the deal of the century to get Contador only to have him suspended....for now. Then he looses Cancellara and now it seems like he may loose his sponsor.

Well, to be completely accurate, he lost Cancellara before he lost Contador. Had he known he would lose Contador he probably wouldn't have let him go.

Now the bank is under federal investigation ... I think most people must be glad they left that place, even though I hope he'll pull through