• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saxo keeps licence!!!

uphillstruggle said:
The dilemma still remains - if they re-sign AC and his points do not count at the end of the year they will not make the World Tour cut. The question is will AC be happy hoping for wild cad invites.

I've yet to get an answer to that as well. Wouldn't surprise me if UCI doesn't know the answer themselves. IF Alberto wont be able to get points, which seems most likely, Saxo has no other options but to let him go. Any big guns without contract at the end of the year that we know of?

Great news! I'm looking forward to seeing CAS unleashed in TDF. I think he will pick up a stage and/or the KOM jersey. But more importantly, his numerous attacks and legendary pain-face will increase the spectator value significantly! :p

DominicDecoco said:
I've yet to get an answer to that as well. Wouldn't surprise me if UCI doesn't know the answer themselves. IF Alberto wont be able to get points, which seems most likely, Saxo has no other options but to let him go. Any big guns without contract at the end of the year that we know of?

I've never been very good at keeping up with who's contract is due to expire. I could see Riis trying to luring Canc back and building a team around him though. I think Riis may have to accept his place as the manger of one of the second tier teams with a smaller budget.

uphillstruggle said:
I've never been very good at keeping up with who's contract is due to expire. I could see Riis trying to luring Canc back and building a team around him though. I think Riis may have to accept his place as the manger of one of the second tier teams with a smaller budget.

riis will never settle for being a second tier team owner, he always finds a way to turn the situation in his favor and it wouldn't surprise me if he did it once again.

According to velonation contadors points would not count towards a teams world tour license - so this is the end of Saxo I fear+ contadors should go elsewhere as Saxo will not get an invite to next years tour knowing the aso's history of excluding riders

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Good news for cycling. Now the riders have to start getting as much points as they can, and Riis needs to sign some people that have or will get a lot of points. Contador might sign for saxo if Riis can get people with a lot of points. If he can't though, Contador will most likely sign for another team.

Parrulo said:
riis will never settle for being a second tier team owner, he always finds a way to turn the situation in his favor and it wouldn't surprise me if he did it once again.

Well frankly, it is very unlikely he will pull in a sponsor that will give him the money that the big teams (i.e Sky, Rabo, BMC, Astana, Nissan Trek) have to play with. Saxo were an average team with the worlds best rider before AC was banned. I like Riis and the teams he's built over the years but it is likely he is going to have to go through a rebuilding process after this. He cannot afford AC and the riders he needs to get pro tour. It's not even guaranteed Saxo are going to renew.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
Well frankly, it is very unlikely he will pull in a sponsor that will give him the money that the big teams (i.e Sky, Rabo, BMC, Astana, Nissan Trek) have to play with. Saxo were an average team with the worlds best rider before AC was banned. I like Riis and the teams he's built over the years but it is likely he is going to have to go through a rebuilding process after this. He cannot afford AC and the riders he needs to get pro tour. It's not even guaranteed Saxo are going to renew.

If you've seen the jersey Contador is training in, you may reconsider which team Contador is going to.

TRENDING THREADS