• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Scientific Dialog: Coggan Style

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
blutto said:
...so let me get this straight, you joined this lynch mob on what amounts to a guess ? ( and maybe a predisposition based on a personal dislike ? )....if true, I really feel for you, because unfortunately, you may have been born into the wrong century....

Cheers

Tell us again you have a PhD. Tell us again only you and Coggan have one.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mostly I just wish someone would present the theory/result in non doctorate language for we common folk. The whole debate about the authors right to suppress criticism is 1 thing but how can we pile on if we don't know what the research is proving or at least asserting. How about a primer rather than this endless argument about copywrite?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Almeisan said:
Tell us again you have a PhD. Tell us again only you and Coggan have one.

...kinda telling that you would change the subject.....and to that of all things...

....so to deal with your deep-seated(?) issues with degrees....now, I'm not a therapist, but the following may help alleviate your phobia problems......the world is ankle deep in Ph.D.'s....and frankly in most cases there is nothing super special about the person behind the degree, save for perhaps, high levels of perseverance, and the ability to take a lot of $hit and survive/understand the academic world behind the curtain ( which is, in some instances, even dumber and more venial, than this forum )...

.....I have, for example, tremendous respect for the plumber, the electrician, and the carpenter we have used around our home, and most of the trades people that I deal with at work (probably very much contrary to what you and the "us little people" crowd seem to be trying to imply or would like to believe....)....I do, however, have zero tolerance for $hitty work at any and all levels....and btw none of the aforementioned requires a Ph.D. to figure out, just some bog standard intelligence leavened with a hearty dollop of common sense ( which, btw, is the thing that seems most often to be found missing around here )....

Cheers

Maybe that's why you decided we had to clash. One lazy average intelligence, the other someone a bit more exalted.

Changing the subject? It was you that decided someone had to be bullied crudely. I merely didn't act like it didn't happen.

So far you only sound like some failed bitter authority-defending pseudo-intellectual.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Almeisan said:
Maybe that's why you decided we had to clash. One lazy average intelligence, the other someone a bit more exalted.

Changing the subject? It was you that decided someone had to be bullied crudely. I merely didn't act like it didn't happen.

So far you only sound like some failed bitter authority-defending pseudo-intellectual.

....keep firing, who knows, you may get lucky and eventually hit something...or run out of ammunition...

Cheers

blutto said:
....keep firing, who knows, you may get lucky and eventually hit something...or run out of ammunition...

Cheers

Well, Veloclinic's article is up again. Perhaps the discussion can take a more sensible tone now. We'll just have to see if Coggan can shut it down this time. Doubt it, though. Looks like classic fair use to me.

By the way, even a plumber will realize you are slighting them if you use language like that. You need to be much more subtle with your insults if you decide to avoid bluntness.

That could be the case; you have a PhD in sewagery ie water and sanitation. It would explain the odd nature of your metaphors as well as explain why you are here.

By the way, even when you have a PhD, like 33% of all the internets, that doesn't mean you can come to this place, drunk or under influence of something even stronger, and just spill out random thoughts or string together statements, without any coherence or meaning, and not be called out 'by us little people' for the fool that you are.
Zero tolerance!

blutto said:
...kinda telling that you would change the subject.....and to that of all things...

....so to deal with your deep-seated(?) issues with degrees....now, I'm not a therapist, but the following may help alleviate your phobia problems......the world is ankle deep in Ph.D.'s....and frankly in most cases there is nothing super special about the person behind the degree, save for perhaps, high levels of perseverance, and the ability to take a lot of $hit and survive/understand the academic world behind the curtain ( which is, in some instances, even dumber and more venial, than this forum )...

.....I have, for example, tremendous respect for the plumber, the electrician, and the carpenter we have used around our home, and most of the trades people that I deal with at work (probably very much contrary to what you and the "us little people" crowd seem to be trying to imply or would like to believe....)....I do, however, have zero tolerance for $hitty work at any and all levels....and btw none of the aforementioned requires a Ph.D. to figure out, just some bog standard intelligence leavened with a hearty dollop of common sense ( which, btw, is the thing that seems most often to be found missing around here )....

Cheers

Not got one? :p

Almeisan said:
By the way, even a plumber will realize you are slighting them if you use language like that. You need to be much more subtle with your insults if you decide to avoid bluntness.

That could be the case, you have a PhD in sewagery ie water and sanitation. It would explain the odd nature of your metaphors as well as explain why you are here.

By the way, even when you have a PhD, like 33% of all the internets, that doesn't mean you can come to this place, drunk or under influence of something even stronger, and just spill out random thoughts or string together statements, without any coherence or meaning, and not be called out 'by us little people' for the fool that you are.
Zero tolerance!

Take a look at the link Race Radio posted. The criticism is back up on a different site. It's time for Coggan to put up or shut up.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Take a look at the link Race Radio posted. The criticism is back up on a different site. It's time for Coggan to put up or shut up.
That often seems to be the problem with scientists like Coggins, they just dont know for sure. On the other hand scientists like Coggins are happy to sell their ideas for sure, till they get 'exposed'.

A real scientist/scholar or how must one call it, would challenge Veloclinic/Mike's challenge.

Coggins and that French dude who stole his concept are the same. The highest bidder rules.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Wondering what Coggan is crying about?

Here it is, with lots of Fair Use declaimers

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/72839442721/for-educational-purposes-only-post-contains-only

Just to be completely clear this is actually a new reworked video, not the original that started this thread.

This latest post of Mike's is a reasonable use of the original material he is commenting on, if he was prepared to defend his position I would imagine Mike would win. YouTube would remove it if there was a complaint though and he would have to submit his request to have it put back up. Or just post it on Vimeo, they have a much fairer policy.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Night Rider said:
Just to be completely clear this is actually a new reworked video, not the original that started this thread.

This latest post of Mike's is a reasonable use of the original material he is commenting on, if he was prepared to defend his position I would imagine Mike would win. YouTube would remove it if there was a complaint though and he would have to submit his request to have it put back up. Or just post it on Vimeo, they have a much fairer policy.

true....but also to be completely fair it is only a slight modification from the original and comes with a blog post that is front loaded with Fair Use facts

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Logic Cogger style,

About a year ago when the Cogger was still trying to defend any spicule of Ed Coyle's sham research of LAs 'efficiency'...I offered to track down some of my Physiology PhD pals in Canada. They pretty much all said the same thing. Here is one of the more benign response.

"I would not believe the Coyle data on Armstrong. I know Eddie well and he has said that different bikes and met carts were used between the testing - he knows now he should not have published the paper - everyone got caught up in trying to explain Armstrongs abilities and now we know he is far from gifted or 'learned' efficiencies over time. No question though, if you can lose some weight while mainitaining your power output, you will do better. "

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Thanks Neworld.

It sounds like efficiency increase was a furphy then? Coz despite Coggan hinting that the paper should not have been published, he swears black and blue that cycling efficiency improvement is possible in someone who is already an elite level cyclist. Just a shame all the studies he cites to back this up are on people who have never ridden a bike or ridden one very little.