• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Scientific Dialog: Coggan Style

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2012
Visit site
blutto said:
....oh my gawd a fake PhD....please do explain...because I did find the following listed by the Washington University School of Medicine...

"Andrew Coggan, PhD, is an internationally recognized exercise physiologist. His research provided the foundation for the TrainingPeaks WKO+ software, which he co-developed with Allen. Coggan is a research associate at Washington University School of Medicine. He holds a PhD in Exercise Physiology from the University of Texas and an MS in Human Bioenergetics form Ball State University. "

...so frankly I'm confused....as either the University of Texas and Washington University are both sadly messed up, or you just pulled this out of your ****...

Cheers

Evidently, we are not allowed to joke about that PhD stands for, so please limit your posts accordingly.

The moderation here is...wait, wasn't there a thread for that that got shut down too?

ChewbaccaD said:
Evidently, we are not allowed to joke about that PhD stands for, so please limit your posts accordingly.

The moderation here is...wait, wasn't there a thread for that that got shut down too?
Now watch it Chewie! If you continue this way they will completely (and not just semi, as it is currently) censure the topic.

nomapnocompass said:
His work was not improperly used...
Presumably for you to make this statement, you did see the video before it was taken down, and can give us a description of what kinds of material was copied from Coggan's site. Right?

Any figures or graphs? Tables of data? Images? More than a few percent of the words in Coggan's presentation? Unless one knows what and how much was copied, making statements about "fair use" are ill-informed.

And to thehog. Every one of the "facts" you presented in you first paragraph about Einstein is wrong. Yes, you can find lots of folks who believe them, but in actuality they aren't true. You could try reading a number of biographies of Einstein to find out. It is true that Einstein did not pass the French language test in his first attempt to attend graduate school, but "never" is not correct. And of course his test scores in Physics and Mathematics were excellent.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Really important and valuable contribution...

....absolutely positively yes...this thread has been an veritable cornucopia of Really important and valuable contributions....when finally done it should hang in a museum or on something ( like maybe the gates to a city somewhere )...

...btw that was one fine funny use of the edit comment function....a nice extension of the canvas we work with ( damn, I wish I had thought of that...and copyrighted it of course...:D ).... produced one wicked giggle when I noticed it...you are one syck f*ck ( note to the much loved janitorial staff...that was not bickering...that was high praise expressed in a colloquial idiom...so please, put your mops back on standby...errr...in the pails...)

Cheers

May 27, 2012
Visit site
blutto said:
....absolutely positively yes...this thread has been an veritable cornucopia of Really important and valuable contributions....when finally done it should hang in a museum or something ( like maybe the gates to a city somewhere )...

...btw that was one fine funny use of the edit comment function....a nice extension of the canvas we work with ( damn, I wish I had thought of that...and copyrighted it of course...:D ).... produced one wicked giggle when I noticed it...

Cheers

Thanks for noticing.:)

And if I'm being honest, I only went after fmk because he's a big red hot water bottle with a tube.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Does Coggan really think Mike's Youtube video did not fall under fair use? Seems pretty obvious.

Lets see what the US Copyright office says

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author’s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.”

Seems pretty clear that Coggan goal was to stifle criticism, not to crusade for the rights of content producers.

Trying to work out what happened here.

Was the whole video copied verbatim and comments added to the slides?

You can't do that, even for criticism. If you need to refer to the whole of something you provide a link to the original.

Was there any original work in the video apart from comments added to the slides?

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Trying to work out what happened here.

Was the whole video copied verbatim and comments added to the slides?

You can't do that, even for criticism. If you need to refer to the whole of something you provide a link to the original.

Was there any original work in the video apart from comments added to the slides?

I think veloclinic gathered power data from some Twitter friends, then ran all kinds of regressions, came up with his own model, and presented the results in a way similar to Coggan (exact same graph layout etc.).

Although I am not 100% sure, because sometimes veloclinic's blog is a bit difficult to read due to his way of writing.

MizunoMX20 said:
I think veloclinic gathered power data from some Twitter friends, then ran all kinds of regressions, came up with his own model, and presented the results in a way similar to Coggan (exact same graph layout etc.).

Although I am not 100% sure, because sometimes veloclinic's blog is a bit difficult to read due to his way of writing.

Hmm, that would be fine, it would be nice to know for sure what it was like.

Coggan reported a youtube video. Youtube algorithm instantly blocked the video because of copyright flagging as they are obliged to do under US law (DMCA takedown).

Coggan claims he was right in his claim of copyright infringement because youtube indeed 'agreed' and pulled off the video.

What was in the video we cannot know as it is no longer available.

Almeisan said:
Coggan reported a youtube video. Youtube algorithm instantly blocked the video because of copyright flagging as they are obliged to do under US law (DMCA takedown).

Coggan claims he was right in his claim of copyright infringement because youtube indeed 'agreed' and pulled off the video.

What was in the video we cannot know as it is no longer available.

I believe the DMCA requires a takedown notice, it is not automatic.

Ferminal said:
You're saying the same thing I think, once the DMCA notice is put forward the video is nuked without a human actually looking at the DMCA complaint and seeing if it's valid (this would be a ridiculous cost for them).

Ah ok, I thought youtube had to physically act to remove it.

So basically, anyone who is stating an opinion without seeing the video can really be ignored. Who did see it? Anyone?

Dr. Coggan, care to elaborate what it contained?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Ah ok, I thought youtube had to physically act to remove it.

So basically, anyone who is stating an opinion without seeing the video can really be ignored. Who did see it? Anyone?

Dr. Coggan, care to elaborate what it contained?

I'm guessing his answer will be something along the lines of "my brilliance"...

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
I'm guessing his answer will be something along the lines of "my brilliance"...

...so what exactly is wrong with that ?.... I think I know where that feeling may come from...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
...yea, a sense of disdain...

....quite possible, but given the quality and quantity of the "Really important and valuable contributions" that populate this thread it may not be that much out of line, in fact it may be a most reasonable response ( something btw we can both be accused of doing the very same on these very pages...)....

...that being said, Dr. Coggan seems to have, for any number of reasons, irritated a fair number of people on this thread....as HJ pointed out earlier in his perfect little summary, the man has trouble with criticism, but we all knew that...and I will bet that he even gets more wound up when he has to deal with "know-nothing peasants" ( a term I often use in my particular field of expertise....a field where the science is quite sketchy and every idiot has an opinion he hangs onto with a death grip....so sometimes things can get heated and sometimes the patina of civility vanished immediately and one heads straight for the jugular because you don't want to deal with idiots yet again )...

....and btw exercise physiology is a field with a history of sketchy science and an audience that has more than its fair share of know-nothing peasants....within academia EP doesn't have a big reputation and everybody dumps on it ( you know how academia can be )....so on top of being a TT'er, which in itself is usually a red flag, the guy is in a field that gets no respect ( and he works in a medical faculty full of doctor gods ....btw his situation academically is exactly the same as that currently "enjoyed" by my wife's and being the fighter she is, the chip on her shoulder has got bigger not smaller...so bring up certain topics you get certain responses, some bad, some awful but usually quite justified ) so maybe he is just a driven self-centred guy who has developed an allergic reaction to critics and he has an ego....big deal...like so different from everybody else on this forum?...

...I frankly enjoy his postings, and having been in academia I realize that his is just another opinion ( academia is full of opinions and dissent, discussion and debate is not only the norm but encouraged....)....so he can be wrong at times but again he could be right, especially when you are careful and ask the right question....

....of course, your mileage may vary....

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS