• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should stage races have a masters classification/jersey?

With masters competitions gaining in popularity I feel its long overdue that at least some stage races (are there any that Im not aware of?) start introducing some kind of classification for the older pros in the peloton.
At the same time top riders are getting younger and the leader of the young riders classification often wearing the actual leaders jersey I feel a classicfication for riders over e.g. 35 could spice things up a little. And dont we all like if riders that we have been following for a decade or longer through their lengthy careers get the chance to gain some spotlight one more time as their performance might be declining.
Maybe it could also motivate some guys to hang on a little longer, teams could have an incentive to sign older riders, jersey sponsors could generate money, the list goes on...

A jersey for the leading rider in his first grand tour.
A jersey for the leading rider who has never won a Grand Tour.
Special coloured helmets for those who have never won a Grand Tour Stage (virgin helmets).
Two tone Special coloured helmets (white and pink) for those who have never won a professional race (extra virgin helmets).

With masters competitions gaining in popularity I feel its long overdue that at least some stage races (are there any that Im not aware of?) start introducing some kind of classification for the older pros in the peloton.
At the same time top riders are getting younger and the leader of the young riders classification often wearing the actual leaders jersey I feel a classicfication for riders over e.g. 35 could spice things up a little. And dont we all like if riders that we have been following for a decade or longer through their lengthy careers get the chance to gain some spotlight one more time as their performance might be declining.
Maybe it could also motivate some guys to hang on a little longer, teams could have an incentive to sign older riders, jersey sponsors could generate money, the list goes on...

The idea makes more sense than the current young riders’ jerseys.

If there was more money in cycling than there is, a senior tour - like in golf - would also have perspectives.

If they make such a jersey, and put the age at 35, then I think a rider should qualify only on the day he actually turns 35. Only for the - very slim, possibly - chance of being able to walk up to a rider and tell him: "Congratulations! You're not the best old rider in this race! :D "

Although it will never happen - something like a jersey for the top ranked pro conti rider would be nice instead as it seems like these teams don't compete whatsoever for GC anymore. It would (hopefully) mean that teams orientate away from just sticking a rider in the break for the day and that being that.

It could also mean that these teams have a greater impact on the race, you might have Androni chasing down the break because a Bardiani rider in it, which could impact how exciting the stage is or the GC race overall.

Reactions: Fantastico
A jersey for the leading rider in his first grand tour.
A jersey for the leading rider who has never won a Grand Tour.
Special coloured helmets for those who have never won a Grand Tour Stage (virgin helmets).
Two tone Special coloured helmets (white and pink) for those who have never won a professional race (extra virgin helmets).

Being serious I do think it would be worth looking at changing white from age to rookie pro

Reactions: Arked

TRENDING THREADS