• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Silence Lotto Changes Name To Omega Pharma-Lotto

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/silence-lotto-to-become-omega-pharma-lotto

Seems Omega Pharmacy is changing it up again. Gone is Davitamon, Predictor and now Silence and in with:

Omega Pharma-Lotto

My first impressions are it is a bit of a mouthful. But i also thought they same about Ag2r Proveyence and when they changed to Le mondiale and also when Caisse was Illes Balears. I guess it will wear in with time.

Am i right in saying that now the team is promoting the company ie. Omega Pharmacuticals and not a particular product ie. Predictor, Davitamon or Silence? If this is true is the company just trying to get their brand more noticed or have they just run out of products?:D

Also what will the kit look like???

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/silence-lotto-to-become-omega-pharma-lotto

Seems Omega Pharmacy is changing it up again. Gone is Davitamon, Predictor and now Silence and in with:

Omega Pharma-Lotto

My first impressions are it is a bit of a mouthful. But i also thought they same about Ag2r Proveyence and when they changed to Le mondiale and also when Caisse was Illes Balears. I guess it will wear in with time.

Am i right in saying that now the team is promoting the company ie. Omega Pharmacuticals and not a particular product ie. Predictor, Davitamon or Silence? If this is true is the company just trying to get their brand more noticed or have they just run out of products?:D

Also what will the kit look like???

Shouldn't this be discussed in The Clinic :p

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
69108601.jpg

A

Anonymous

to be honest, im stunned...

for a sport that is struggling with creditibility, its image, doping etc... that just sounds like, well, it just sounds WRONG...

i know they are a genuine company, but omega-pharma lotto.. it just sounds wrong on all levels...

i hate it.. for the same reasons i would hate it if one of the sponsors of team sky was superdrug (a well known british chain store)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

Hahaha, what a wonderful design.

OP-Lotto. Is your number lucky number 18?

dimspace said:
i hate it.. for the same reasons i would hate it if one of the sponsors of team sky was superdrug (a well known british chain store)

Lovkvist in team Sky with Diamonds....

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
it does seem to be in bad taste, even though they just make stuff like pregnancy tests (Predictor), wart remover, and anti snore spray(Silence). I was really hoping that Paranix (head lice treatment) would be the next product to make the blank-lotto jersey. but there will be something funny about seeing omega pharma on the world champions jersey worn by one of the cleaner riders in the sport.

A

Anonymous

luckyboy said:
This is Omega's (new) logo...

Omega%20Pharma%20NIEUW%20b.JPG

nowt like this then?
53lh0h.jpg

its also rather unfortunate that omega is also the brand name of hemax-omega, indias most popular brand of EPO...

this whole thing just, well, its not ideal really... :/ Im not sure that pharmaceutical companies sponsoring teams is really the best way forward for the sport... oh, the headlines if one of lottos riders fails a drug test..

adj.
1. tactless - lacking or showing a lack of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others; "in the circumstances it was tactless to ask her age"
2. tactless - revealing lack of perceptiveness or judgment or finesse; "an inept remark"; "it was tactless to bring up those disagreeable"

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:

HAHAHAHA - this had me in stiches!! Great design.

I guess they could call it "Omega-Lotto" to save jersey space and a mouthful.

No probs with drug companies sponsoring cycling for me. From a company perspective it's good publicity. Now with the ToC, everyone actually knows who Amgen is now.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah the word Pharma is just.....................................wrong i feel. Another ever so slight credibility slap to the face. At least if they have it like OP instead of reading Omega Pharma maybe that wont be so bad.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
At least Omega Pharma aren't a manufacturer of EPO (AFAIK anyway)... unlike Amgen who proudly sponsor the Amgen Tour of California.
You beat me to it.

At first I didn't really care. In fact, I was surprised that Silence lasted as long as it did. I thought "At least it's more dignified than being sponsored by a pregnancy test." If they just make run of the mill stuff, I don't really care.

I've never been a fan of Amgen sponsoring the ToC. This has become the US's biggest stage race, and it's sponsored by a company making the product that continues to drag cycling down. I realize their money is just as green as another sponsors, but come on.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
The announcers will just start calling them OPL ;)

Wow, some folks are really sensitive to the name issue (the Pharma part). I can understand being a bit sensitive given what has occurred in our sport, but this seems a bit intense. It's not like it's Team 'We Use EPO Lotto' :eek:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Izoard said:
The announcers will just start calling them OPL ;)

Wow, some folks are really sensitive to the name issue (the Pharma part). I can understand being a bit sensitive given what has occurred in our sport, but this seems a bit intense. It's not like it's Team 'We Use EPO Lotto' :eek:

In the doping situation we are in, having pharmacetical companies in cycling does not give out a good image for the sport even if the team and company aren't involved in doping

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
In the doping situation we are in, having pharmacetical companies in cycling does not give out a good image for the sport even if the team and company aren't involved in doping

I'm not so hard on that...especially for the ToC. I mean beggars can't be choosers and they are sponsoring the sport. Believe it or not...Amgen is not producing EPO products for endurance athletes...they are for sick people.

TRDean said:
I'm not so hard on that...especially for the ToC. I mean beggars can't be choosers and they are sponsoring the sport. Believe it or not...Amgen is not producing EPO products for endurance athletes...they are for sick people.

Agreed.

People need to LTFU. The sport needs sponsors - for teams and races. Getting all pissy about the fact it is a Pharm company is just getting stupid. So they should not sponsor a team? So Amgen should not sponsor the ToC? Great concept all - one less team and one less major race because of an intense desire to take the moral f'ing high ground.

Oooh, I feel so good about myself now. Perhaps we should only allow ethically clean or green sponsors into the world of cycling. Greenpeace can have a team, but no banks!

FFS!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Agreed.

People need to LTFU. The sport needs sponsors - for teams and races. Getting all pissy about the fact it is a Pharm company is just getting stupid. So they should not sponsor a team? So Amgen should not sponsor the ToC? Great concept all - one less team and one less major race because of an intense desire to take the moral f'ing high ground.

Oooh, I feel so good about myself now. Perhaps we should only allow ethically clean or green sponsors into the world of cycling. Greenpeace can have a team, but no banks!

FFS!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What i was saying that some people are going to think up conspiracy theroies to a team or a rider(s) which have a sponsor that makes pharmaceutical products. It doesn't bother me but i think some people will think something is going on with OPL

TRENDING THREADS