Skil-Shimano...Clean?

Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Just wanted opinions here...it is my belief that Skil are riding a very clean Tour. I say this for a couple of reasons. First, in the flat stages when I saw Skil at the front they looked like they were completely giving everything they had...then Columbia who was at the front as well looked like they were on a Sunday ride. Second, once the mountains have hit...Skil is nowhere to be seen.

I understand many will say these are second rate riders...but I believe there is more to it. I believe they are actually riding clean...the whole team.

Meanwhile, I see Columbia riding like there is no tomorrow, and now Brad Wiggins riding like the mountains are his long lost home? Call me skeptical...just not too sure there.

Thoughts?
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,268
1
0
What do you think of Koen de Kort, former Astana man, who seems to have been sidelined from the moment they signed him. Why did they sign him? Why was he sidelined.

I am happy for him that he is currently doing well in the Tour and having a good time at SKL.

For the rest, I don't know, but when I see that Kenny van Hummel has been struggling so much the last couple of days, thinking about quiting, but still dragging himself over the Pyrenees in order to make it within the time limit... I guess that makes him so much less suspect than anyone else.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
I agree...it just seems that this team is what we are all looking for right? van Hummel is my favorite rider, I make no bones about it...and seeing him fight just to make the time limit is as inspiring as the leaders flying up the climbs. Koen de Kort has a home at Skil!! He is riding to the best of his abilities...I don't know what happened at Astana...I wish I knew. The whole team are inspiring...they have just as strong an antidoping stance as Garmin...but somehow guys at Garmin loose a few pounds, change their diet, or have a psychological turn around and they are suddenly top tour riders? Does not wash with me.

Here is to Skil and Kenny making it to Paris, showing themselves well (already have done so), and getting the invite next year as well!!

More of the antidoping folks on this board should be holding this team up as an example of clean riding!!
 
Mar 19, 2009
832
0
0
Skil management took action with Clement Lhotellerie last year when questions arose about him. The team members themselves were reportedly against Lhotellerie also. Lhotellerie went to Vacansoleil and tested positive for a banned stimulant after LBL this year.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Epicycle said:
Skil management took action with Clement Lhotellerie last year when questions arose about him. The team members themselves were reportedly against Lhotellerie also. Lhotellerie went to Vacansoleil and tested positive for a banned stimulant after LBL this year.
On the other hand they signed Lhotellerie when no one else would touch him despite his stellar youth results, because he was about as obvious a doper as one could be.

He's the guy who flat out told the french press "french riders are stupid. they don't dope".
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
issoisso said:
On the other hand they signed Lhotellerie when no one else would touch him despite his stellar youth results, because he was about as obvious a doper as one could be.

He's the guy who flat out told the french press "french riders are stupid. they don't dope".
Regardless of your comments...Skil management did the correct thing and got rid of him.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
TRDean said:
Regardless of your comments...Skil management did the correct thing and got rid of him.
What I was pointing out was that you can't just look at one side of the events and go "yeah, that says everything" :)
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
0
0
issoisso said:
On the other hand they signed Lhotellerie when no one else would touch him despite his stellar youth results, because he was about as obvious a doper as one could be.

He's the guy who flat out told the french press "french riders are stupid. they don't dope".
new principal at Skil. Ewan Spekenbrink.
 
Jun 23, 2009
95
0
0
I think Skil is clean also. They may not have much of a budget to work with like some of the other teams do. If Garmin was on the juice, then Zabriskie would be winning the TT's and climbing like AC.
 
Jun 16, 2009
860
0
0
In the stage with the split one of the commentators mentioned how lucky Skil was that so many were in the front when the split happened.
Upon watching the replay, you can see there were several small gaps then they changed to the helicopeter shot and you could see a handleful of riders in no mans land. Then a few minutes later from the moto camera in front you see the same group just bridging up to the back of the group.
It was all Skil riders.
While everyone else made excuses they put their heads down, did the work and bridged the gap. De Kort was in the break all day, took a flyer before the break was caught, then hung tough to not get dropped from the front. Then he sucked it up and was in the sprint in the finale
It seems like the whole team is just plain gutsy.
They are my hero's
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
runninboy said:
In the stage with the split one of the commentators mentioned how lucky Skil was that so many were in the front when the split happened.
Upon watching the replay, you can see there were several small gaps then they changed to the helicopeter shot and you could see a handleful of riders in no mans land. Then a few minutes later from the moto camera in front you see the same group just bridging up to the back of the group.
It was all Skil riders.
While everyone else made excuses they put their heads down, did the work and bridged the gap. De Kort was in the break all day, took a flyer before the break was caught, then hung tough to not get dropped from the front. Then he sucked it up and was in the sprint in the finale
It seems like the whole team is just plain gutsy.
They are my hero's

I noticed the same thing...they were not lucky in that stage...they had to bridge up to the front group. I will still hold out hope that one of the boys can snatch a stage win before the Tour is over!!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY