• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SO I went and saw Lancville 100, err Lance accross the Sky...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
You can boo Floyd because he truly sucked this year.
Unless you are a Lance Fanboy you can't boo Lance. He had an awesome year.
He acted like a jerk to Contador. Contador sure didn't deserve that but that is the game Lance plays.
I hope that the haters get along the course of the Tour of California. Tour de France. I hope the haters dress up in syringe uniforms with big freaking faux EPO syringes and **** Lance off. That is the thing that motivates Lance.
Watch Lance and learn. You might be able to use his tricks in real life.
The guy is a psycho. Lance will enter your dreams. The more negative you are towards him the stronger he is.
If you all would like to see our roads up here in Monterey County and Sonoma County come on up. Take a vacation from Orange County. I feel your pain.

2010's gonna be a real bad year for "Lance." He's about to get strongarmed back into his proper place.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Can we boo that tosser Wiggo for throwing his bike like a sunt at worlds

can't believe I am watching a homoerotic addvert for perlizumi while I type this

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
Booing in a movie theatre is just rude, doing it to get a rise out of someone is pathetic.
Booing at a ball game is acceptable behaviour but to boo someone for striking out is ignorant of the game. To do it to Matt Kemp who just won the Golden Glove AND the Silver Slugger award is beyond pathetic.
You do realize his salary is a fraction of what the big stars are paid and that even the best hitters fail over 60 percent of the time at the plate? Add to that trying to make split second decisions while a ball is being thrown at you with such velocity that it can do serious injury(see Tony Conigliaro)
Overall Kemp had a fantastic year at the plate & in the field and you boo him?
Unbelievable. Please stay away from the ballpark people like you shouldnt be allowed in.

Jealousy anyone?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Oh I don't even know where to start here. Yes he may be charming sometimes but at the same time he is a totally self centered a$$. Lots of shallow people can be charming but that doesn't mean we have to idolize them. We also don't need to idolize everyone who can ride a bike fast, we can recognise their achievements but still hold them at arms length (or more) for their personal failings.
You have to learn how to be a cycling fan without being a sycophant for somebody who's total contribution is that he can ride a bike fast. Yeah I know he has the whole cancer thing but taking into account how much he has made off the whole deal I'd call that a draw.
We in the forum who "see him in a negative light" do so because we know the history of the man.
By the way the guy who's record he smashed at Leadville, he retired from pro MTB racing almost a decade ago. He was one of the pioneers of a new sport and if he has made 1/100 as much as Armstrong in his career then he was lucky. He drops his kid off a school and picks them up a few hours later, himself. He doesn't hire someone else to do it. Compared to Lance he is a true amateur bike racer at this point in his life, what is the BFD that Lance can beat him?

Well said.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Why bump a thread that could have been interesting but instead just turned into another "I hate Lance Armstrong" thread. Notice how little of the thread actually mentions the movie itself? Seems people who are obsessed with LA just can't help themselves. Can't infrequent posts of the neglected MTB forum at least be about mountain biking and not about one road bike racer?

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
"slobbering defense of your man crush" LOL! Hey that's good. I like it.

I'm not of particularly prolific poster because most threads degenerate pretty quickly. It seemed like although the MTB section is pretty unsubscribed, it has been fairly civil and mostly about well, mountain biking without all the ego and personal attacks of the professional road racing forums. Plus, I try not to spend too much time in front of a computer for entertainment purposes. Too many good out of door things to do and real live people to interact with.

I do find fascinating the obsession that some people (mostly the haters who can't let any post other than one that meets their level of hate pass without some vitriolic diatribe directed at that poster) have with LA.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
OK, I will reply to this old thread because I did just see the movie.
I have never raced Leadville but have a friend who did.
After watching this movie, I have no desire to ever be part of this race.
The race director sounded like a slobbering fool when talking about Lance.
There was also the irony of Dave Weins talking about how his first entry was denied because he had not applied for the lottery (I'm sure LA did not have to do this) and how he did not race that year because of it. Contrast that with when in his pep speech, Ken (race director) stated ".....this race aint' about Lance..."
Yeah, right.

Just watch the movie and see how true that really is.
Watch how LA robotically rides up the Powerline climb and Dave (who has raced this many times) pushes his bike up it. It becomes that much more ironic with the recent allegations of Landis (pilled on top of everything else) to compare Wein's human (I believe clean) performance with the robotic (I believed doped, if even just as a lingering effect of prior doping) performance of Armstrong.

Another example: at the top of Columbine, Lance rides through like a sports car, approx 10 minutes (?) later Dave comes through and thanks the course marshals for their time in helping put on the race. Listen to the interviews with LA and you will hear him talk about how much he wanted to win the race..... why? Why is winning so important? Contrast that with the lady who was hit (and sounds like nearly killed) by a car and was just happy to be alive to finish the race. Contrast that with the short snip with the older lady from somewhere back East who was diagnosed with MS many years ago and was competing in the race. That's who I think the Race Director intended the race to be about, but when the exposure of having Lance at the race entered the equation, as evidenced by the time allocated to him in this movie, then priorities shifted accordingly.

And who the $$%% wrote Bob Roll's dialog for this???
Cancer awareness?? LA wore the kit of the bike shop he owns in Austin, not the Livestrong kit. Even if he wore it, would that do anything substantial to help people out who are suffering and dieing from this disease ? Umm. NO.

My theory is that people live vicariously through someone they have been instructed to believe is a hero, therefore they turn off any critical thinking skills and just gobble the entertainment up. That's what this movie was to me..

May 21, 2009
Visit site
If Lance wanted to really test himself offroad he would of ridden in Europe against guys like Sauser, Lakata, Platts and Paulissen.
No offence, but US mtb'ers aren't that good compared to the euro guys. Especially the level at Leadville.
But regardless of liking him or not, any extra press for mountain biking is good! So I hope he races more!

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
travis-brown-drop-bars-trek.jpg

Leadville is not really much of a "mountain bike" race, by the way I define mountain biking (riding bikes on narrow trails, not old roads).

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Rip:30 said:
travis-brown-drop-bars-trek.jpg

Leadville is not really much of a "mountain bike" race, by the way I define mountain biking (riding bikes on narrow trails, not old roads).

I totally agree with you, but I gotta' say that the adolescent in me LOVES that bike!

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
GilTeamS&M said:
I totally agree with you, but I gotta' say that the adolescent in me LOVES that bike!

For sure Travis Brown is pretty creative with his set ups. This is one of my favorites I saw him race some years back in a Durango STXC:

st0817030084.jpg

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
Booing in a movie theatre is just rude, doing it to get a rise out of someone is pathetic.
Booing at a ball game is acceptable behaviour but to boo someone for striking out is ignorant of the game. To do it to Matt Kemp who just won the Golden Glove AND the Silver Slugger award is beyond pathetic.
You do realize his salary is a fraction of what the big stars are paid and that even the best hitters fail over 60 percent of the time at the plate? Add to that trying to make split second decisions while a ball is being thrown at you with such velocity that it can do serious injury(see Tony Conigliaro)
Overall Kemp had a fantastic year at the plate & in the field and you boo him?
Unbelievable. Please stay away from the ballpark people like you shouldnt be allowed in.

How's Kemp looking now?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I love it when threads lead to pics of bikes. The Drop Bar Fuel with Red shifting is a great contrast to the full rigid ss