• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So, who was the real winner of the Giro?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
He didn't. It was actually eight seconds faster. Somehow that got misreported as a minute, and the misreport got to LA, and he put that on his twitter, and now the misreporting has become accepted by repetition.

Also, in 2006, there wasn't so much of a group going up there, and Basso already had the maglia rosa and a comfortable lead, so there was no need to go into the red, he could mark other peoples' attacks. On Friday, however, he was two and a half minutes shy of Arroyo and needed to pull that time back so he had to go harder than he did in 2006.

I'm not going to rule out the possibility that Basso was doping on Friday, but I do think that just comparing the times without recompense to the tactics and state of the race is an injustice; the climb is the same, but it never finishes the stage and the way a rider behaves on a climb will always be affected by the state of the race.

If he had been wearing the yellow jersey, Sastre would never have climbed Alpe d'Huez as quickly in 2008, and had he been two minutes closer to Menchov he would never have climbed Monte Petrano as quickly in 2009, because Menchov wouldn't have let him go.

Yeah, ive read before that Basso didnt really need to put the effort in back in 2006. However, looking at the results there were some big time gaps, especially when you think he was going along with Simoni instead of having Nibali and Scarponi to help work with him on the road to Aprica.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/giro06/?id=results/giro0620

There was the Gavia before the Mortirolo in 2006 which should have had some effect. Difficult to compare the two.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Basso won the Giro. Why isn't 5.6 w/kg on the Zoncolan considered clean?

Have Mapei released any other power data on Basso?

If he's staying around the 6w/kg mark then I don't see why we are judging him

Back in the day (06 I think) Contador could push 500watts for 1 hour - there is a CN article on it somewhere. At what 65kg, thats 7.7 w/kg for an hour ??? Is that calculation too crude ???

Point is, if Contador can potentially push 7w/kg for an hour and Basso can only push 6w/kg for an hour, i'm willing to back Basso as clean given what the 'experts' out there consider to be a reasonable power to weight ratio (6.5ish ??)

Inner Peace said:
Basso won the Giro. Why isn't 5.6 w/kg on the Zoncolan considered clean?

Have Mapei released any other power data on Basso?

If he's staying around the 6w/kg mark then I don't see why we are judging him

Back in the day (06 I think) Contador could push 500watts for 1 hour - there is a CN article on it somewhere. At what 65kg, thats 7.7 w/kg for an hour ??? Is that calculation too crude ???

Point is, if Contador can potentially push 7w/kg for an hour and Basso can only push 6w/kg for an hour, i'm willing to back Basso as clean given what the 'experts' out there consider to be a reasonable power to weight ratio (6.5ish ??)
I have never seen Contador push a 500 W for an hour. That was a "Normalized" estimation made by Lemond. That was for the Verbier climb of the Tour. But the calculation was normalized for weight and time.

His power output for the 30 minutes was a lot lower than that. I have him around 6.5-6.6 W/kg

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I have never seen Contador push a 500 W for an hour. That was a "Normalized" estimation made by Lemond. That was for the Verbier climb of the Tour. But the calculation was normalized for weight and time.

His power output for the 30 minutes was a lot lower than that. I have him around 6.5-6.6 W/kg

I cannot find the article I mentioned, but I am not talking about Lemonds estimation.

There is an article that was posted on this forum maybe three months ago. It was about up and comers Contador and Luis Leon Sanchez at Liberty Serguros.

It said Contador could do 500W for an hour. Unless I read wrong? As I say, I cannot find the article, but someone here has a link so hopefully they read this

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
When you hear Contador's power reported at around 500 Watts. It has been normalized for a 70 kilo rider and bike or something. Its a method some use for showing relative power instead of Power/weight.

Mapei haven't released anythng yet.