• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spam comments on articles

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
The spammers in the comments section of articles are getting more frequent and more annoying. If CN isn't going to read and remove spam, at least give users the option of a "report spam" button out on the articles, and have a staffer delete those accounts.

I realize Leipheimer is probably desperate for employment what with his OPQS firing and all, but maybe he can go spam velonews instead. :D

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Whats fascinating, is the spammers get through with their various spam links, and yet I, when i referred to a perfectly valid link as reference in an article conversation I was put in a moderation queue and was never actually approved. I was also put in a queue when i used a word that was in the original CN article, that post was never approved either, yet somehow the spammers get through.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
I realize Leipheimer is probably desperate for employment what with his OPQS firing and all, but maybe he can go spam velonews instead. :D

Don't be cruel to Velonews. They have already had to shut down their forum because they couldn't work out how to combat all the spam they were getting :D

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
Hey, we're clearing out as many of these comments as we can, and then banning the relevant IP addresses. The interface for the admin side isn't the easiest in the world to use, so we appreciate your patience.

Cheers

Dan

Daniel Benson said:
Hey, we're clearing out as many of these comments as we can, and then banning the relevant IP addresses. The interface for the admin side isn't the easiest in the world to use, so we appreciate your patience.

Cheers

Dan
So what you are saying is there is currently no "report spam" button we could click on whenever we see clear spam (such as "let me tell you how to make $50,000 per week, just sitting on your **** at home) when we are reading CN's articles?

That is rather frustrating (and I'm sure you're equally frustrated), so... what can we, as legitimate readers of CN articles, do? Is there any kind of help I/we could offer?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Tricycle Rider said:
So what you are saying is there is currently no "report spam" button we could click on whenever we see clear spam ............

The is a "report post" button next to the post number (top right).

avanti said:
The is a "report post" button next to the post number (top right).
I think that is true for the forums, but not for the comments section on news articles.

There is a red flag that appears when you hover over it, I'm not sure what that does. Hmmm... should I click on it and see what happens?

I don't mind any kind of contentious comments, btw., but the spam bugs me.

Tricycle Rider said:
There is a red flag that appears when you hover over it, I'm not sure what that does. Hmmm... should I click on it and see what happens?
Ach soooooo, when you click on the red flag it means "report comment to site owner".

I'll be sure to click away any time I see spam from now on. Don't know if it'll help any, but I can always hope.

Beech Mtn said:
If CN isn't going to read and remove spam, at least give users the option of a "report spam" button out on the articles, and have a staffer delete those accounts.
Sorry, I don't mean to totally clog this thread, but...

To Dan: could we have a mod who specifically (and only) deals with deleting spam?

I realize I'm relatively new, but I'd be willing to volunteer.