• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spanish "justice" with respect to Contador

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Here's what the Spanish cycling federation's president said about the Contador decision:

"If Contador appeals to CAS I see it a very difficult case coming become more complicated, including even making it worse."

Should we break that down? To me it means "Hey Bertie, we were as lenient as possible and real courts off home soil might actually give you the two years you know you deserve."

Honestly, every Spanish cyclist is sadly suspect in my eyes.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
GoGarmin said:
Here's what the Spanish cycling federation's president said about the Contador decision:

"If Contador appeals to CAS I see it a very difficult case coming become more complicated, including even making it worse."

Should we break that down? To me it means "Hey Bertie, we were as lenient as possible and real courts off home soil might actually give you the two years you know you deserve."

Honestly, every Spanish cyclist is sadly suspect in my eyes.

indeed, that remark also struck me.
I think you broke it down transparently.

Prediction: in one hour from now, AC will announce he accepts the one year ban.

sniper said:
Prediction: in one hour from now, AC will announce he accepts the one year ban.

Whats the point. Under the current ban he cant return till August 24th which means unless he wants to ride the Canada races and Giro di Lombardia, its basically a ban till March 2012. If he takes his chances all hes got to lose is March, April May and June. Theyll let him back for July 2012. Tour is going to be his first gt back either way. SO all hes losing is warm up races.

If he is able to get the ban put back, even by a few weeks to August 1st, then that means he can ride the Vuelta 2011. Hes got far more to gain than to lose.

I had the same basic reaction. I don't if it is a translation issue, but it struck me as a very bad gaffe.

And I agree with Sniper, I don't see how AC doesn't accept this result since it (A) accepts his defence as truthful and (B) gives him the minimum sanction allowable under the circumstances. All of that being said, I assume WADA is preparing it's notice of appeal as we speak.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Whats the point. Under the current ban he cant return till August 24th which means unless he wants to ride the Canada races and Giro di Lombardia, its basically a ban till March 2012. If he takes his chances all hes got to lose is March, April May and June. Theyll let him back for July 2012. Tour is going to be his first gt back either way. SO all hes losing is warm up races.

If he is able to get the ban put back, even by a few weeks to August 1st, then that means he can ride the Vuelta 2011. Hes got far more to gain than to lose.

Makes sense.
On the other hand, I heard a full two year ban would mean a financial loss to AC, cuz he would then have to pay UCI 70% of his salary (which equals 3.000.000 euro). So he has some dough to loose.

The Hitch said:

Wouldn't his ban end in August 2012, thus missing the 2011 and 2012 Tours?

hrotha said:
Wouldn't his ban end in August 2012, thus missing the 2011 and 2012 Tours?

Well the ban atm is 1 year + Tour taken away.

If they increase the ban it would probably be to 2 years. Then they have to decide if he keeps his 2010 Tour, or they want to start the ban at the 2010 Tour, taking that away from him allowing him to return for 2012 version.

Ricco tested at Tour and got 2 years but was back in time for Österreich Rundfahrt.

Or you think theyll give him a ban of 2 years + Tour taken away? that would be going further than with most.

The Hitch said:

If they increase the ban it would probably be to 2 years. Then they have to decide if he keeps his 2010 Tour, or they want to start the ban at the 2010 Tour, taking that away from him allowing him to return for 2012 version.

Ricco tested at Tour and got 2 years but was back in time for Österreich Rundfahrt.

Or you think theyll give him a ban of 2 years + Tour taken away? that would be going further than with most.
Well, I'm assuming his Tour title would be taken away regardless.

As for Contador, he's sticking to his story, and he says he's going to do everything he can in the next 10 days to convince the RFEC to change their ruling (it's not a definitive ruling after all). He's hinted he's going to appeal to CAS if necessary.

He says he's not going to retire, he's going to fight.

And the best part is he said he's a beacon of cleanliness, he's never doped and he gets tested a lot. The antidoping rules are obsolete etc.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well, I'm assuming his Tour title would be taken away regardless.

As for Contador, he's sticking to his story, and he says he's going to do everything he can in the next 10 days to convince the RFEC to change their ruling (it's not a definitive ruling after all). He's hinted he's going to appeal to CAS if necessary.

He says he's not going to retire, he's going to fight.

And the best part is he said he's a beacon of cleanliness, he's never doped and he gets tested a lot.

and the spanish-english translator is a verguenza.

what a joke. Can't Riis translate it?

The Hitch said:

Surely if that was the case then with a 1 year ban + Tour taken away he would be back for TdF2011?

sniper said:
he's not mentioning the plasticizers.

I don't see why he would. They're not really relevant.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Surely if that was the case then with a 1 year ban + Tour taken away he would be back for TdF2011?

I don't see why he would. They're not really relevant.

why not relevant? His steak story would make a small bit of sense if it weren't for the plasticizers. He could at least deny that any were found. The fact that he doesn't, means they were found. How is that not relevant? the plasticizer test was recently approved.
His silencing about the plasticizers suggests they were there.

The Hitch said:

Why yes, that's what they did with Landis in the initial round.

What I don't understand is why the suspension is dated Aug 24; if you're going to take away event results, that ought to be the start, I'd think.

-dB

Well, looks like he's waiting for the official ruling & what Pat/UCI/WADA are going to come up with, so he would fight it in CAS...but nothing is set in stone yet.

like i stated it before- a year ban for AC is going to be stretched by Pat to 2 years-just in appeals and BS:mad:

TRENDING THREADS