• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spanish lacing pattern wheels

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
these were kind of a novelty in the US back about 20 years ago and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I thought they looked fun for training, and since wheel mfg like botrager group spokes i was thinking maybe they are worthwhile.
anyone?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Spanish lacing, which I believe is twist lacing, is really not done anymore but for show bikes. Cool to look at, but it serves no purpose other than to look at me. Structurally are weaker than a traditionally laced wheel, that's why nobody does it anymore, and they're a pain in the @ss to build.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Is that what this is?
race%20lace%20front%20wheel.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Hard to get even tension with a dished twist lace, and it's less durable than a 2 or 3x wheel cus of all the stresses going on all over the place with the spokes, rims because of those harsh angles, and the more you twist those angles get more severe. Did I mention, they absolutely suck to build?

runninboy boy got it right in his first few words, the key one being "novelty", that's all these are. Many builders still do it, but serves no practical functional purpose other than to be interesting looking. Training wheels, absolutely not.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Hard to get even tension with a dished twist lace, and it's less durable than a 2 or 3x wheel cus of all the stresses going on all over the place with the spokes, rims because of those harsh angles, and the more you twist those angles get more severe. Did I mention, they absolutely suck to build?

runninboy boy got it right in his first few words, the key one being "novelty", that's all these are. Many builders still do it, but serves no practical functional purpose other than to be interesting looking. Training wheels, absolutely not.

thanks for the answers, just hadnt heard anything of those for awhile and wondered what happened.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Not exactly. 'Twisty spokes' as has been mentioned, is a fad, a look, makes for a weaker wheel. Tying and soldering DOES have a purpose and is still done by wheelbuilders, like me.
And still done by pro's for cobbled classics

You can continue to ride after the spoke goes, which is enough to get you somewhere for a fresh wheel which is the difference between losing 3 minutes at Arenberg or 15 sec on the flat , cheap insurance to tie and solder in that context

TRENDING THREADS