• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spanish Magazine "Desde la Cuneta" number 4

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Bummed to read that interview with Poels where he says he wants to focus on the GTs. You're the punchy type, kid!

To be fair he climbed exceptionaitly well for the majority of the vuelta(2nd on Angriliu), but seeminlgy and unsurprisngly ran out of legs in week 3. Vacs. need to proceed with a little more intelligence in regards to his program next year.

I do agree that he is very good in punchy climbs, but no one is telling Jrod to avoid GTs, who may be a fair comparison (obviously Jrod is better at this stage), however poels can actually ride an ok TT.

I'd like to see him ride the giro.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
To be fair he climbed exceptionaitly well for the majority of the vuelta(2nd on Angriliu), but seeminlgy and unsurprisngly ran out of legs in week 3. Vacs. need to proceed with a little more intelligence in regards to his program next year.

I do agree that he is very good in punchy climbs, but no one is telling Jrod to avoid GTs, who may be a fair comparison (obviously Jrod is better at this stage), however poels can actually ride an ok TT.

I'd like to see him ride the giro.

I am, and many others are too.

Well, not to avoid them per se, but not to focus on GC on GTs.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Descender said:
I am, and many others are too.

Well, not to avoid them per se, but not to focus on GC on GTs.

Why is that really? Because of the itt?

Poels might not be a canc, but nor is he jrod in that disclipine.

@hitch. I'm guilty of that also.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Descender said:
Because of the ITTs and because he just isn't capable of keeping up with others in the high mountains consistently, and has shown that time and time again.

last year's tour he was consistantly one of the best. TTT blew him up. In past vueltas he has been super, but had to work for valverde. He got screwed in 09' as he was meant to be the leader, but valverde wasn't allowed to ride the tour and thus took over leadrship.

I'm pretty sure you are basing this on this year's giro/vuelta.

BTW 4th overall @ vuelta and 5th overall @ giro is not a bad result at all in the last 18 months. Even with the bad TTing. Dunno why one wouldn't go for GT gc with those results already.

And the point was reflecting poels.Whom is a better TTr and is too young too claim he cant be consistant enough in the mountains for 3 weeks.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
last year's tour he was consistantly one of the best. TTT blew him up. In past vueltas he has been super, but had to work for valverde. He got screwed in 09' as he was meant to be the leader, but valverde wasn't allowed to ride the tour and thus took over leadrship.

I'm pretty sure you are basing this on this year's giro/vuelta.

BTW 4th overall @ vuelta and 5th overall @ giro is not a bad result at all in the last 18 months. Even with the bad TTing. Dunno why one wouldn't go for GT gc with those results already.

And the point was reflecting poels.Whom is a better TTr and is too young too claim he cant be consistant enough in the mountains for 3 weeks.

I'm basing it on all the GTs he's done in his life, including the last four in which he was the unconditional leader and ended up inevitably failing at keeping up.

And yes, those results would be good enough if he was another type of rider, but Purito has the goods to be a great hilly classics rider... but he never enters them in good shape, because they clash with his GT calendar.

Poels is another cup of tea. Too young to tell.