• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SPD vs SPD-SL

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Right. I have a winter bike, a hybrid for which I have Shimano mtb shoes and Shimano A530 pedals so that I don't have to wear the cleats to ride the bike.

I have, all being well, just got hold of a nice shiny road bike with no pedals as yet. The question is, how much would going for the same pedal/shoe combination affect performance Vs going for an SPD-SL combo? There are a whole host of reasons for replicating my current set-up, I'm wondering what the trade-off is.

And are there any other (not too expensive) compromise alternatives?

Many thanks.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
What are you planning to do with the new bike? (Congrats, btw!)

If commuting, stick with what you've got.

If you're planning to get into road riding, you'll appreciate the comfort of a wider pedal and stiffer road shoes down the road. The SPD's aren't too bad on the road, but there's several good reasons Shimano ditched it as a road platform in favor of the SL's. (Or the R's..)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
Right. I have a winter bike, a hybrid for which I have Shimano mtb shoes and Shimano A530 pedals so that I don't have to wear the cleats to ride the bike.

I have, all being well, just got hold of a nice shiny road bike with no pedals as yet. The question is, how much would going for the same pedal/shoe combination affect performance Vs going for an SPD-SL combo? There are a whole host of reasons for replicating my current set-up, I'm wondering what the trade-off is.

And are there any other (not too expensive) compromise alternatives?

Many thanks.

You can get carbon road shoes for the spd pedals if you want to race they were all the go 15 years ago Durace still make a single sided road SPD pedal some people still use them especialy good if you got squeeky knees. I often think I should go back to them.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
if you are comfortable with what you have, stick with it. the main disadvantage is probably weight (but you can get lightweight road shoes with 2-bolt fitting, they are just harder to find).
i don't buy the comfort or stiffness arguments above (unless you have a specific problem with what you have)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I race cross in the winter and ride approx 150-200 miles/week through spring/summer on my road bike, enter 100+ mile sportives all in mtb shoes and pedals. If you're not racing, don't go to the additional expense and fitting issues just to look the part. The extra watts will barely be tangible.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Hmmm..if you have knee issues, depends on what the problem is. The SPD allows for a fair bit of float, where the SL tends to lock you into position. Depending on what's going on with your knee, either could be better, but overall might be worth it to just stick with what you've got if it's working. =)

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
LugHugger said:
I race cross in the winter and ride approx 150-200 miles/week through spring/summer on my road bike, enter 100+ mile sportives all in mtb shoes and pedals. If you're not racing, don't go to the additional expense and fitting issues just to look the part. The extra watts will barely be tangible.

Good advice. A $50 pair of disposable SPD pedals is all you really need for what you want to do. Use the money you save to buy good shoes.

TRENDING THREADS