• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spectators Running Alongside Riders on Climbs

(RUNNERS) Spectators Running Alongside Riders on Climbs [in TdF]

I was always fine with spectators running alongside me in the mountains as long as they gave a friendly push [actually, as long as they didn't knock me over, block me, spit on me, hit me, or otherwise induce something negative]. However, watching the Tour coverage, especially today's stage, it seems that "The Runners" have crossed some line of acceptable behavior or decency. I know it's logistically impossible to barricade an entire climb, but I think it is absolutely inappropriate for fans to run alongside the riders, inches away from them, sometimes touching them, often shouting profanity, endangering the riders' safety and generally ruining the TV shots while making asses of themselves. I saw a few spectators get punched today by riders in the lead group, and while I wish every rider would swat away every spectator who violated his personal space and ran alongside him on a climb, the reality is that, whether climber or not, the break in concentration and energy required to punch a drunk, idiotic "spectator" in the head - as minimal as it may seem - is gigantic in its negative effect (on the rider).

I hate to say add more motorcycles, but there should be police bikes hovering near the lead groups who are authorized to run down "The Runners." I'm surprised Armstrong hasn't already employed a team of private, moto-mounted body guards to do just that.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
However, watching the Tour coverage, especially today's stage, it seems that "The Runners" have crossed some line of acceptable behavior or decency.
Funny how many here (or maybe VeloNews Forums) pointed this out during the Tour of California as if it were indicitive of only the American fan...

Probably was VN Forums, for that was about the time I left there.

Though, that sentiment resides here as well. As if it is only the american fan that act like idiots to get their 1 second of dubious fame.:mad:

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
The spectators definitely seem much more aggressive and stupid this year than in the past. Ventoux is going to be a nightmare. I remember the Alpe d'Huez ITT a couple years ago the road was all-to-wall people, but even there, I never feared for the riders the way I hae this year.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Can we get something done about that jackass with the huge antlers and even larger Texas flag? It is only a matter of time before he trips and puts the horns or flag pole through someone's wheel.

Absolutely! He brings a bad image to the other "characters" that are always there year after year, such as Didi Senft (the Devil), who jump up and down but along the sidelines.
I've just finished reading a book on the '90 tour, and one of the comments in there was that the riders loathe going through the corridors of screaming fans. I can see why. I hate seeing them sitting in my comfortable arm chair.
I note that there are a lot of Australian flags and footy jumpers (Aussie rules teams) that are the culprits more often than not, so it's not just the Americans at the Tour of California.
The funny ones though are the fat people that struggle to stay along side when they're riding up the 10+% gradients. You can see the brain going - "oh f***" they're fast!
Neil

(edit: Didi not Did Senft)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Can we get something done about that jackass with the huge antlers and even larger Texas flag? It is only a matter of time before he trips and puts the horns or flag pole through someone's wheel.
Sorry BroDeal, but that is just a manifestation of the larger problem that you chose to ignore. Namely fans running along side their favorite riders, or worse, fans running along side leading riders to get on television.

The Devil is Not the Problem

benpounder said:
Yeah, it is only the established idiots that can disrupt the peloton.

Well, I think that's the difference - The Devil always stayed to the side of the road and kept a respectable distance from the riders (relative to today's jacka sses). And he certainly didn't get so close as to spew spittle on the riders while screaming at them through a mouth leaking fumes of half-digested sausages and beer.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The funny ones though are the fat people that struggle to stay along side when they're riding up the 10+% gradients.

Yeah, can't figure out why fat guys squeeze themselves into bike kit and "run" beside the lead group. Won't be long before some fattie falls in front of a front runner and takes him down. The motos should have cattle prods.

benpounder said:
Sorry BroDeal, but that is just a manifestation of the larger problem that you chose to ignore. Namely fans running along side their favorite riders, or worse, fans running along side leading riders to get on television.

It is not just a manifestation of it. It is taking it to a ridiculous level. There will always be people who want to get themselves on TV, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Clearly over the line is a douche putting on the largest set of horns his neck can support and carrying a flag big enough to fly over the Alamo.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
the funny ones though are the fat people that struggle to stay along side when they're riding up the 10+% gradients.

Yeah, can't figure out why fat guys squeeze themselves into bike kit and "run" beside the lead group. Won't be long before some fattie falls in front of a front runner and takes him down. The motos should have cattle prods.

lmao......:d

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It is not just a manifestation of it. It is taking it to a ridiculous level. There will always be people who want to get themselves on TV, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Clearly over the line is a douche putting on the largest set of horns his neck can support and carrying a flag big enough to fly over the Alamo.

Over the line is the Norwegians in nuclear green thong bathing suits. I'll take the idiot Texan over those guys anyday.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
When I see all those fans acting like morons on the climbs, I think about the guy in the Olympic Marathon a few years back that was clearly in position to win the race when some knucklehead came off the side of the street and tackled him, pushing him to 3rd place I think.
One of these days someone is going to tackle a cyclist on climb, but most likely get his *** kicked afterwards.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Remember one of them got run over by moto in 2005 during the stage that George Hincapie won, got what he deserved IMO.

I have admit I'm sort of gulity of this as I once ran alongside Marcus Burghardt waving a T-Mobile flag in my hand, but I was 2 or 3m away from him. He probably thought I was some sort of nut (like who runs alongside some straggler on a mountainside in the Pyrennes?). Fun times.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
While I agree that the fans seem more aggressive this year, I have always liked how close fans can get to riders and how intense the atmosphere is on the big climbs.

One of the things that drew me to cycling was the fans - the colours, the flags, the crazy costumes - especially at the Tour.

I also love the idea that fans will cheer the riders from first to last - it must be inspiring to be suffering on a climb in 83rd overall and having Canadian, or Polish fans cheering you on, even though you're half an hour behind the leaders...

I don't think there is any other sport where fans can have such close interraction with athletes.

benpounder said:
Like the guy running along aside you patting you on the back for 50m? I'm sure there is a difference.

When the fan is wearing this get-up then, yeah, there is a difference. Looks like he forgot his ginormous flag this time.

orig.jpg

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
The funny ones though are the fat people that struggle to stay along side when they're riding up the 10+% gradients.

On my tape of the '89 Tour, there's a great sequence featuring one of these "types" running uphill (chasing Delgado, if I remember right), and as the gradient takes its toll, his little legs just quit - causing him to do an absolutely beautiful header into the road - just before he goes out of the camera's view...Priceless!! :D

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Graham Watson must like this guy - he always has a shot of two of him on his race recaps, and even shares his name as if the guy is worth being famous...my only thought beyond the obvious (wtf ??) is - how the he!! does he travel with all the gear? He must have special cases for the antlers, horns, eagle wings and various football helmets...what a waste.:confused:

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes, a few of us have noticed a difference this year. There seems to be some venom of energy from some supporters and there clearly is a get on tv element.

I don’t care about the run alongside a few metres to the side fans, it’s the ones getting really close and running behind in the middle of the road- where did that come from? This year I have noticed an increase in the number of lycra clad peanuts who actually jump in front of the bike as he is pedalling up a hill and then pull back at the last second. Perhaps the 2-dimensional nature of a lens distorts that they are still giving them a good berth

I’d like the bikes to have those Ben-Hur style Chariot hub spokes- you know, the ones that are 2 foot long swords. Now that would be good.

My only take is that you can’t let it rile you, so you need to absorb it as positive energy. Hard to do, but if you work it into your affirmations and visualisation routine it can become a powerful thing.

Ie say to self “as I hear the screams and see the fans in clear a path in front of me I it makes me stronger, more powerful and is my endurance”. Sounds corny but lord knows how they make it up those hills at all..never mind on what gear or wattage!

Are there any here who can mention what your sports psychologists suggested you do to use it positively and ensure it doesn’t transfer into negative energy?

TRENDING THREADS