• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sports Media Studies Project -TDF American/ESPN Coverage

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Let's be honest American coverage of cycling in general sucks because the "worldwide leader in sports", ESPN, doesn't own versus and NBC does. Just ask Hockey fans how that works for them. ESPN used to openly make fun of NASCAR and Soccer until their big daddy network, ABC, purchased broadcasting rights for the sports (ESPN to NASCAR). Now, when they aren't talking Yankees or NBA/NFL union talk, they build up soccer, which most Americans ignore more than cycling, and NASCAR all the time.

That being said, I am a recent Mass Communications graduate that emphasized in Sports Media Studies and I am looking for links so I can attempt a content analysis of ESPN's coverage of the TDF. I saw ESPN News' first coverage of the Hoogerland accident and they said Luis-Leon Sanchez won just by "not having a brush with death". Never mentioned the actual race components of it. During last year's tour, a commentator was shocked and couldn't figure out why everyone had the same time after a flat stage. On the flip side, Tyler Farrar's victory solute to Wouter was in the opening montage of highlights for SportsCenter on the 4th of July.

Anyways, ideally, I would of thought of this ahead of the Tour and had ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPN News set to tivo and go through hours of recording. If you have any links to ESPN's video coverage of the TDF this year, good, bad or indifferent can you post it in this thread. It's something I'm passionate about would like to see what I can do with. I'm discussing it with my former professors as well. Thanks,