• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sprinters 2019

It already looks as though this is going to be a particularly open and competitive season, with no single sprinter likely to dominate. Riders like Kristoff, Kittel, Degenkolb, Viviani, Ewan etc are now being challenged by the yoofs ... Gaviria, Ackerman, Jakobsen, Hodeg, Philipsen etc.
Anyone seeing a stand out talent who is going to win most of the sprints they compete in?

I remember several seasons ago, when all top sprinters were present and in good shape, there was hardly anyone who, in normal circumstances, could beat the top2-3 sprinters at the time (mostly Cavendish or Greipel and then Kittel) in a flat sprint without complications.

Now there are at least 6-7 names who I can imagine winning a flat sprint stage where all other big names are present. Between Groenewegen, Gaviria, Sagan, Ewan, Viviani, Kittel and maybe guys like Sam Bennett or Demare on a good day I can see all of them beating one another and we have Ackermann (not that young but only started getting top results recently), Hodeg and Jakobsen developing rapidly. Who knows, maybe we will see just one or two of those names clearly above the rest when the TdF sprints are there this July, but for now it looks interesting.

Re:

Flamin said:
Good to see a new and exciting generation taking over from the old guard (Kittel, Cav, Greipel,...). Long-overdue imo.
Agree, but it has been in the cards for a few years, it has come pretty gradually. I don't really care much for those stages anyways but its good with some change of pace and Gaviria is my man altho he is kinda a weird rider who needs to fix his problems in order to become great.

Cav needs to prove nothing for his legacy, but if he starts beating the current crop regularly then he goes interstellar. Unlikely I think.
So yeah, Bennett, Van Poppel, Trentin in the mix too. I can't remember such depth at the head of affairs for sprinting.

Personally, I think Gaviria is the quickest, but he does find ways to lose races ... like falling off his bike.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
Cav needs to prove nothing for his legacy, but if he starts beating the current crop regularly then he goes interstellar. Unlikely I think.
So yeah, Bennett, Van Poppel, Trentin in the mix too. I can't remember such depth at the head of affairs for sprinting.

Personally, I think Gaviria is the quickest, but he does find ways to lose races ... like falling off his bike.

I think Groenewegen proved in the Tour last year that he is quite a bit quicker than Gaviria if he gets a clear run for the line.

Re: Re:

kingjr said:
del1962 said:
A younger Cav would wipe the floor with the current crop of sprinters
I think a younger Cav would not have half the Palmares he has today if the current crop of sprinters had been around when he was younger.
Agreed. 08-12 Cav was a great sprinter, but the competition was thin. McEwen, Petacchi and Hushovd were past their best as sprinters, Boonen was focused entirely on classics, Greipel was on the same team until 2011, Goss until 2012. Cav's best opposition for a decent part of his career was Farrar.

Viviani, Gaviria, Groenewegen and Ewan at their current best would push 08-12 Cav harder than the opposition he had then, with the possible exception of Pettachi in 2010.

Cipo would have just thrown him into the barriers while laughing his ar$e off the whole time.

IMHO the fact that when he was in his prime an old and already declined Petacchi was a serious treat for him and was even able to beat him tells a lot about Cavendish level, especially considering that Petacchi had to wait until 29 to start winning big races because the competition was too much for him before.
Probably he would have been a good sprinter able to win some big races here and there also in another era but the timing of his career helped a lot and granted him a champion legacy.

Re:

Nirvana said:
IMHO the fact that when he was in his prime an old and already declined Petacchi was a serious treat for him and was even able to beat him tells a lot about Cavendish level, especially considering that Petacchi had to wait until 29 to start winning big races because the competition was too much for him before.
Probably he would have been a good sprinter able to win some big races here and there also in another era but the timing of his career helped a lot and granted him a champion legacy.
Kittel wiped the floor with Cav in his first TDF as a main sprinter

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Nirvana said:
Kittel wiped the floor with Cav in his first TDF as a main sprinter

The same year Cav raced the whole Giro and Quickstep was trying to be HTC when they couldn't and would get swarmed by Argo at the end because they did no work.

TRENDING THREADS