• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SRAM reveals new entry level groupset Apex

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or do recreational riders not need a flipping huge top gear such as 50x11. The last time I looked that equates to 36mph or 58 kph at 100 rpm. No redundant gears there then. I've just bought a Tiagra equipped bike with 50/34 and 11-25 and it may as well be a seven speed. OK we don't have a lot of long descents here but even were that does't apply I would have thought most slow riders would rather have a some bigger sprockets in the middle of the cassette?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
philcrisp said:
Is it just me or do recreational riders not need a flipping huge top gear such as 50x11.

Strongly agreed.

A mate of mine who rides with me, who doesn't race, recently replaced his cassette. The bottom seven gears were worn completely bare; the top three almost brand new.

50x13 is plenty for most recreational riders, I'd have thought.

But then, for some reason manufacturers put 48-38-28 cranks and 11-32 cassettes on hybrids. I bet I'm a stronger rider than 99% of the people who ride commuter bikes, and I've never used the 48-11 (WTF would you pedal downhill on a commuter bike?) I've replaced mine with 44-33-22 and an 11-28. I still don't think I've used the 44-11 more than a couple of times, but I've now got a much more even spread of gears.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
SRAM Apex Groupset

Lots of recreational riders will use a 50 x 11 gear for downhills and sprinting. Lots of small hills in Sydney to use this gear. I also use all the gears on my 10 speed cassette.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I think everyone's opinion on this issue will strongly depend on your local terrain. It's true that recreational riders generally don't produce as much power and need easier gears as a result. But for those living in more mountainous terrain, they may take longer to get to the top of something but they're treated to the same downhills as everyone else.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
James Huang said:
I think everyone's opinion on this issue will strongly depend on your local terrain. It's true that recreational riders generally don't produce as much power and need easier gears as a result. But for those living in more mountainous terrain, they may take longer to get to the top of something but they're treated to the same downhills as everyone else.

Fair enough but no 12 or 13 up blocks? I've bought a hybrid and the aforementioned road bike in the last year and in particular the hybrid is hopelessly over geared at the top with unhelpful gaps in the middle (48/38/28 and 11-32 8 speed). I couldn't find anything with better gearing.

When the road bike needs new rings and cassette I'll be able to shorten the gearing and on my budget it will have to wait until then. With the hybrid it's only going to be possible for sensible money if I can still get my hands on a 13-26 8-speed cassette. If Shimano discontinue that I'll be stuck with gears I won't use. Seems plain stupid to me.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
philcrisp:

I wouldn't worry too much about 8spd clusters going away completely. Even though they're not listed on most online retailers' catalogs, local shops should still be able to get them for you for a while yet. Buy an extra one if you're worried, though, as they should be rather inexpensive.

As for other gearing options, also keep in mind that this is just the initial release. SRAM may very well add other combinations later on.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
James Huang said:
philcrisp:

I wouldn't worry too much about 8spd clusters going away completely. Even though they're not listed on most online retailers' catalogs, local shops should still be able to get them for you for a while yet. Buy an extra one if you're worried, though, as they should be rather inexpensive.

Apologies James, that was only part of my point and I don't think I explained it very well. All of the Hybrids available in the UK have the same gearing which is perhaps a little high at the bottom and much too big at the top. (118" to 24") As far as I can tell you need a mixture of MTB and road transmission parts to make that more sensible. The "Trekking" parts give you the ridiculous gearing given above. In particular if you want any cassette with sprockets of more that 27 teeth then you have to have an 11 (unless you use campy)

I seem to remember Chris Boardman stating in a Procycling bike review that the only time he had ever needed 53x11 was going through and off downhill. 50x11 for slow newbies or returnees like me. Hmmmmmm.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Different definitions of "recreational" perhaps

JTPato, I suppose my definition of "recreational" might be a bit different from yours! The "recreational" riders I'm thinking of don't typically sprint, or pedal downhill when they're already going 50 km/h.

As such, I reckon that there are many riders for whom a 13-32 cassette would be a better match.

However, I've no doubt there are also riders, and situations, where an 11-32 cassette will be very handy. I'd reckon the demand might actually come from more serious recreational riders and amateur racers doing sportives or races over really tough terrain, who *will* pedal downhill to keep up but will also need the granny gearing for the nastier climbs.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
SRAM does no one any favors by not offering custom cassette options with replacement single cogs. Shops have bins full of cassettes because a few cogs of the 8,9 or 10 wear out. Insane waste. Many people don't realize there are single cogs out there from Shimano and Miche, and as long as your cassette is riveted or bolted, it can be easily dismantled.

I have 2 bikes I still use 7 speed freewheels with, and they're by far my favorite to ride. No indexed shifting to bother with , and my highest gear is a 48-12 or 13. Since my only competition is my own mind, I care not how fast I think I'm going. I think I'll ride these bikes for the rest of my days because freewheels just don't seem to die,and I have a good stock of them.

rgmerk said:
WTF would you pedal downhill on a commuter bike?

Why not? I love riding hard downhill, regardless of the bike I'm on. The drag will slow you down a lot if you do not have an aero position, so it may be hard to spin out, but it's fun nonetheless.

philcrisp said:
With the hybrid it's only going to be possible for sensible money if I can still get my hands on a 13-26 8-speed cassette. If Shimano discontinue that I'll be stuck with gears I won't use. Seems plain stupid to me.

Online I can buy a 13-26 7 speed cassette for only 13 euro. If they can sell these (and many other configurations) for so little money, while still making a profit, I don't see them discontinuing these. 8 speed cassettes probably sell more than 7-speed, so they are definitely not going away. Worse case scenario is that they increase the price a bit, I think.

In the end, they will always keep making cheap cogs and there is little cost in assembling these into various cassette configurations.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Aapjes said:
In the end, they will always keep making cheap cogs and there is little cost in assembling these into various cassette configurations.

If you were as bad with the spanners as I am you might be upset about pre-built cassette ratios too.

Apex is a great contribution to the needs of recreational riders: I'm really glad Sram is providing fresh blood to the stodgy Shimano monopoly.

It's obviously called "apex" because the smaller gears, compatible with those who might not want to or are able to sustain 5 W/kg on climbs, can reach the top of steep hills.

And WRT a 50/11 top gear: riding in a pack on a 5% descent makes one appreciate a 50/11 versus a 50/12, whether that's in the Patterson Pass Road Race (not the target audience for this group, although that climb is still nasty in a 36/26) or in a Western Wheelers C-ride down into La Honda. It's a worthwhile option. Those living in the San Francisco Bay area are going to have a different perspective on what gears are useful than those living in, for example, Nebraska.

TRENDING THREADS