• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

sram wireless question

never gonna use it but maybe somebody at interbike can ask. Are the shifters somehow 'coded' to the ders? So, if 2 riders riding close side-by-side, the one shifts and shifts the other's rear der? Since the shifter is closer?

Or TTT, close together and the rear guy shifts and the front guy's der shifts??

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ray j willings said:
I'm just waiting to see when pro teams start hiring tech geeks to hack rival teams shifting at crucial points in a race. it could happen.

Don't they need a pro team who'll use it first? ;-)

The reviews have actually been pretty good so far though. I thought it was interesting that they asked the question of why e shift levers should somehow mimic mech shifting (two buttons per lever).

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:
Each derailleur is paired, and the pairing is encrypted

So ders and shifters coded together? How do you replace a rear der that gets killed?

Unscrew it. Fit new one. Press pairing button on new derailleur to put it in pairing more. Then press shifter. LED lights up to tell you it has paired.

wendybnt said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

So ders and shifters coded together? How do you replace a rear der that gets killed?

Unscrew it. Fit new one. Press pairing button on new derailleur to put it in pairing more. Then press shifter. LED lights up to tell you it has paired.

kinda like telling my VW that the iphone is looking for it...I guess...glad I don't have to use it or work on it.

Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

kinda like telling my VW that the iphone is looking for it...I guess...glad I don't have to use it or work on it.
Exactly the same fella, or pairing your phone with your Garmin.

The connection should be much better and quicker though as it'll be short range and only one possible connection. We'll have to wait and see...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Garage door openers are coded in a similar manner, at least most door openers in the last 10 years. You can pair more than 1 opener but this simple encryption is very secure and while nothing is completely unhackable you would need access to each target bike long enough to send billions of codes for each der you wanted to hack. Maybe with the right program and several hour in very close proximity to the bike you want to hack you might find the code. At the same time you would also need to observe the target bike to watch for the shift or you would not know it worked.
To reprogram you need to set the der in pairing mode. According to SRAM they can only be paired to 1 shifter at a time too.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

No, not really.

It doesn't have to deal with another manufacturers 3rd party software. It only has to deal with itself. Far less room for conflicts.

Bustedknuckle said:
Night Rider said:
Has anyone here ridden this groupset yet? Thoughts?

Wandering through the 'usual suspects', in terms of MO sales of all things sram(like most UK sites), none have it for sale. It is either low production and destined for OEM first or they are having problems with it...

New Boardman AIR 9.9 will come with it:

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/products/474-air-elite-9.9.html

I think Sram know they need this to work and work well so maybe they're going to insist on OEM and trained mechanic set-up to start with.

King Boonen said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Night Rider said:

Wandering through the 'usual suspects', in terms of MO sales of all things sram(like most UK sites), none have it for sale. It is either low production and destined for OEM first or they are having problems with it...

I think Sram know they need this to work and work well so maybe they're going to insist on OEM and trained mechanic set-up to start with.

Wow, $10,000 bike. I wonder what the owner will use when the sram stuff is recalled..no holes in the frame for anything else. :eek: :D :) :p

Bustedknuckle said:
King Boonen said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Night Rider said:

Wow, $10,000 bike. I wonder what the owner will use when the sram stuff is recalled..no holes in the frame for anything else. :eek: :D :) :p
Single speed it...

King Boonen said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Night Rider said:

I'm already feeling sorry for anyone who buys one of these here in Aus, AFAIK the only Boardman dealers are the direct website, Wiggle and a large chain store that doesn't carry much high end stuff at all (Goldcross Cycles).

42x16ss said:
King Boonen said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Night Rider said:

I'm already feeling sorry for anyone who buys one of these here in Aus, AFAIK the only Boardman dealers are the direct website, Wiggle and a large chain store that doesn't carry much high end stuff at all (Goldcross Cycles).

Fairly similar set up here. Main dealer is Halfords which are really a motoring shop and ability of the bike mechanics is usually very, very low, nicknamed hellfords or hellfrauds, slightly unfairly. I'm unsure if the top end bike will be available through them though, I highly doubt any shop will stock one.

There are a few dealers for the high-end stuff, I think their contract with Halfords means that they can only sell the high-end stuff in other shops. Group set or not, that's a hell of a lot of money for a bike...

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
Night Rider said:

This was what I heard but didn't trust the source, thought I would put it out here to see if anyone else knew.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Sram wireless groupset wins product of the year...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sram-red-etap-voted-best-new-product-in-2015-cyclingnews-reader-poll/

Something literally no-one voting for has tried wins product of the year..?

I thought the same thing myself. But honestly, it was pretty weak field.

I still predict that people will hate the front shifting. An identical action that produces one of two opposite effects depending on a pre-condition that requires the user to memorise, or deliberately observe the prior state is just a nightmare.

winkybiker said:
King Boonen said:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sram-red-etap-voted-best-new-product-in-2015-cyclingnews-reader-poll/

I still predict that people will hate the front shifting. An identical action that produces one of two opposite effects depending on a pre-condition that requires the user to memorise, or deliberately observe the prior state is just a nightmare.

And if one battery in a lever fails...shift to end of cogset, then you are done. I laugh everytime I see how the shifting is 'intuitive', to whom.

Methinks 'some' publications who praise this stuff have had their bank accounts padded by advertising dollars.

Doubt they will ever say any bad or truthful about spam/slam/scam/sram, don't want to jeopardize those $(bribes).

Bustedknuckle said:
winkybiker said:
King Boonen said:

And if one battery in a lever fails...shift to end of cogset, then you are done. I laugh everytime I see how the shifting is 'intuitive', to whom.

Methinks 'some' publications who praise this stuff have had their bank accounts padded by advertising dollars.

Doubt they will ever say any bad or truthful about spam/slam/scam/sram, don't want to jeopardize those $(bribes).
I remember reading a review of an early Felt AR (notorious for poor front shifting anyway) with SRAM red and the reviewer commenting on how all the negativity was a load of bollocks...

Straight to the bin.