Stage 19: Bassano Del Grappa - Cima Grappa 26.8 km MTT

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 5, 2011
7,490
0
0
murali said:
point to note: Quintana was visibly slowing down as compared to Aru from the km marker to the point where the camera bikes turned left.

he had gained about 25 secs in just the final approx 500m.

So anyone thought that Quintana was giving his all is probably mistaken.

from what I saw, i think Quintana had measured his speed based so that he could get a stage win. he didnt look at the victory margin imho.

Aru rode damn well. But, i think tomorrow is going to be a totally different race.

With the 3 min advantage, Quintana might play safe. he might go for another stage victory. we need to wait and watch.
he had a 9 sec advantge with 900m to go. Aru cracked last couple of kms.
I agree that Quintana probably could have won with 15ish seconds more though.
 
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink was also nowhere near as good as Aru is now. So bad comparison
Gesink's palmares at Aru's age was MUCH, MUCH better even with Aru's podium here. That said, I never saw a GT ride by Gesink to rival the one we saw today.
Kwibus said:
Gesink was challenging Valverde for the Vuelta win at age 22 until he crashed and had to finish the Vuelta with a big hole in his knee.
Gesink was a HUGE talent, but he only got worse some how.
Almost forgot about the "hole"
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Escarabajo said:
Maybe. Both need to recuparate as well. But is not a given. So many times I have seen in the past how tired the riders are in the last mountain stages. So it becomes more survival than anything else. We'll see.:)
Exactly my point.But I hope for good recovery and great battle:)
murali said:
point to note: Quintana was visibly slowing down as compared to Aru from the km marker to the point where the camera bikes turned left.

he had gained about 25 secs in just the final approx 500m.

So anyone thought that Quintana was giving his all is probably mistaken.

from what I saw, i think Quintana had measured his speed based so that he could get a stage win. he didnt look at the victory margin imho.

Aru rode damn well. But, i think tomorrow is going to be a totally different race.

With the 3 min advantage, Quintana might play safe. he might go for another stage victory. we need to wait and watch.
Good analysis.;)
 
Googol said:
Split time calculations again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AnuCfPeuxN58CuQdxW9eXMtJqiZd9ZS8cp9tagH721E/edit?usp=sharing

Top 10 in the climb:

QUINTANA Nairo 0:55:03
ARU Fabio 0:55:04
URAN URAN Rigoberto 0:56:45
ROLLAND Pierre 0:56:49
POZZOVIVO Domenico 0:57:34
MAJKA Rafal 0:58:14
PELLIZOTTI Franco 0:58:25
WELLENS Tim 0:58:37
HENAO GOMEZ Sebastian 0:58:38
MOUREY Francis 0:58:54
So if I understand that document correctly. Kelderman was 12th fastest from last split to finish.
Then he wasn't THAT bad
 
Oct 25, 2009
591
0
0
ILovecycling said:
Exactly my point.But I hope for good recovery and great battle:)


Good analysis.;)
Quintana should just take it easy tomorrow and start thinking about riding the Tour. He's winning this Giro easily without burning all his matches. I'd love to see him, Alien and Contador lighting it up this July.
 
Jan 15, 2011
252
0
0
We haven't mentioned the influence of Paolo Slongo - think he has a big share on Aru's success.
 
Googol said:
Split time calculations again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AnuCfPeuxN58CuQdxW9eXMtJqiZd9ZS8cp9tagH721E/edit?usp=sharing

Top 10 in the climb:

QUINTANA Nairo 0:55:03
ARU Fabio 0:55:04
URAN URAN Rigoberto 0:56:45
ROLLAND Pierre 0:56:49
POZZOVIVO Domenico 0:57:34
MAJKA Rafal 0:58:14
PELLIZOTTI Franco 0:58:25
WELLENS Tim 0:58:37
HENAO GOMEZ Sebastian 0:58:38
MOUREY Francis 0:58:54
Before the stage I was very close when estimating 55 minutes climb time for the best rider ;) It is VAM of 1680 m/h. Quintana and Aru crushed oposition but I think their performance is not too good to be true. Time gaps (besides top2) were huge. 3rd rider looses by 1'42'' while 6th rider is already 3'11'' down! As expected it was all about climbing abilities. Congratulations to Quintana and to Aru. Both are the future of cycling :)
 
May 22, 2014
1,489
0
0
Tom T. said:
Quintana should just take it easy tomorrow and start thinking about riding the Tour. He's winning this Giro easily without burning all his matches. I'd love to see him, Alien and Contador lighting it up this July.
There is no way he will ride the Tour this year.
 
Tom T. said:
Quintana should just take it easy tomorrow and start thinking about riding the Tour. He's winning this Giro easily without burning all his matches. I'd love to see him, Alien and Contador lighting it up this July.
wishful thinking -but ain't happening.

Giro, Vuelta & World's titles are about enough for him this year:)
 
Rechtschreibfehler said:
Quintana, not even close in the end.

More than 3 minutes now in front in the GC. What about stage 16 again?
hfer07 said:
+1000000+ :D

I bet some will be there still debating it
montani3semper said:
What will the honourable GMs from Tinkoff, Omega, BMC, et al claim now, besides conceding to be bad sports'. Nairo 4 Vuelta as well. Next year he'll target the TdF. Period
They (at least Omega) can claim the same thing they've been claiming. Nairo has taken what, 1:17 on Uran since that stage? I'm not saying for one second that he isn't the strongest guy here but he probably hasn't done enough at this point to completely throw out all of the controversy from stage 16. To be clear, Nairo is the strongest and definitely deserves to win, especially considering the ~minute he lost in the TTT.

Red Rick said:
Well, withoug Stelviogate we'd have a 3way fight for pink on the 20th stage on arguably the toughest climb in GT cycling. So yeah, i'm really happy that's not happening:rolleyes:
This, though likely without "Stelviogate" Nairo would have tried harder to gain time yesterday.
 
The day Rolland rides one of his best time trials, Aru comes along and does something much better. Still I expect the GC to change again tomorrow between 3rd and ninth positions.

Pozzo also rode well. Hesjedal even without the bike trouble was not good nor Kelderman. Majka was not bad but Aru made him look second rate. Evans did as expected and should hang on in the top 10 now unless he collapses completely on the Zoncolan. I think he is too experienced for that to happen. Good to see that the controversy won't have an effect on the winner of the race now. I hope Rolland and Aru go to battle tomorrow, others probably hope they won't.
 
Sep 8, 2009
15,305
0
0
seems like i was spot on this time with the time predicted for the climb. 55 minutes for the superstars of climbing

http://www.climbing-records.com/2014/05/monte-grappa-witness-of-new-ultra.html



---55:04---average speed 21.03 km/h(Fabio Aru)
---1:01:18---average speed 18.40 km/h(Froome-Porte group)


i laughed a little bit :p aru to destroy them these next years!



i screamed in front of the tv. the future of cycling looks bright with aru, quintana, chaves and others too. pretty awesome. rolland was awesome too

one of the best time trials i've seen. and monster gaps indeed. like there should be . forzza the angel aru!
 
I actually cant wait for tommorow. Majka is most likely going to attack early tommorow. No chances for the attack to stick imo, but it will animate the race (of course if his bacterial infection clears a bit, otherwise he wont have a chance to try) and allow Aru to try and counter to put time into Uran. My bet is on attack around 7-8km mark :D
 
Jan 8, 2013
584
0
4,280
Ospina standings Stage 19

Top 10 GC Standings with a 120 second (up from 90 after being corrected) penalty to Nairo, Pierre & Ryder:

1. Nairo Quintana 79:05:45
2. Rigoberto Uran +1:07
3. Fabio Aru +1:48
4. Domenico Pozzovivo +4:16 (+1)
5. Rafal Majka +4:59 (+1)

6. Pierre Rolland +5:26 (-2)
7. Cadel Evans +7:25
8. Wilco Kelderman +7:29
9. Ryder Hesjedal +10:11
10. Robert Kiserlovski +11:59
 
What an astonishing and exciting stage to watch. Unlike days past I didn't keep my laptop beside me as I watched, so it was interesting to catch up on this thread post-race, and see predictions crumble.

Aru rode a time trial for the ages, and then Quintana beat him by 17 seconds! I'll note that Tony Martin only won his (16.9 km, pancake flat, non-technical as suits him) time trial today by 16 seconds. Which doesn't really say anything about either winner, maybe, but I watched the two races back to back and I thought it was interesting. Quintana certainly demonstrated more authority than Martin did today, anyway.

Great to see the fight for the remaining top ten places as well, and I was chuffed to see Cadel move up a spot or two (though sorry to see some of it come because of bad luck for Ryder).

Great race!
 
Sep 2, 2010
1,853
0
0
Am I the only one that finds it crazy that there is 4 minutes between 1st and 10th, yet 2 minutes between 10th and 30th?
 
Jan 8, 2013
584
0
4,280
damian13ster said:
I actually cant wait for tommorow. Majka is most likely going to attack early tommorow. No chances for the attack to stick imo, but it will animate the race (of course if his bacterial infection clears a bit, otherwise he wont have a chance to try) and allow Aru to try and counter to put time into Uran. My bet is on attack around 7-8km mark :D
This Giro is too important historically for Colombians now, so it will be hard on Aru to make up time.
Duarte, Rubiano & Pantano want a stage tomorrow. Outside of that Team Colombia WILL protect Uran. Uran will have all of OPQS +Mini Henao +half of Team Colombia and maybe even Anacona protecting him.
In top of that, it is very likely that Nairo will be helping Uran as well, maybe even a pact b/w Movistar & OPQS to protect the podium. Even Arredondo may help Uran at this point.
 
Sep 1, 2013
629
0
0
MONFORT WATCH

Misjudged the start and had to drop off a bit to keep a large buffer down to 17th, and upwards to 13th.

27th on the stage, 15th +/-1 overall ensured, job done.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY