• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stars of the Giro 2011. Their seasons from here.

Ok so we know what a lot of the big riders at the Giro are doing next but not all.

Contador is doing the Tour next and then waits for his result and to see how tired he is.

Joining him in July will be Gadret, Kreuziger and Tiralongo all of whom will mainly be domestiquing / going for kom, stage wins, and Cav, Petacchi and Farrar from the sprinters. Right? Millar too presumably.

Nibali Anton Nieve Menchov, Arroyo for the Vuelta. Will they try anything in June while still on form maybe like some Giro riders do?

Gadret and Rujano have done their duties for the 2011 season. Well Rujano will be going back to South America for some races. But is he going to return for some of the late season Italian races or is his Androni time effectively over for the year?

But I am interested what the following are doing

Michelle Scaproni- Is he riding the Tour (obviously more for the experience of it) or saving himself for a challenge at the Vuelta. Its been a while since he has been able to look beyond the Giro. Or is he finishing what has been a very good season and maybe doing something in GDL

Joaquim Rodriguez -Hes going for a good gc in his home race right? Skipping the Tour?

Kiriyenka- Very interested to know what Vasily will be doing. Hopefully going for some epic stage wins in Vuelta.

Ventoso- Vuelta right?

Kruijswijk?

Svitsov?

Dupont?

Le Mevel - Tour team?

De Clerq? weening?

And some guys who didnt feature so much

Di Luca? Any idea what he will do.

Sastre- is he going to even bother

Duarte? Will he race in Europe? would be great to see him at the Vuelta.

Machado? Dont think hes in the Tour team so give it a try at the Vuelta or some lesser stage races?

Porte. Is he riding the Tour. Would be good for him to try Canadian and Italian Autumn one dayers imo.

The Hitch said:
Le Mevel - Tour team?

I'd say almost certainly not. I can't see Garmin bringing along two climbers who don't add much to the TTT or lead out train. If they bring one, it'll be Dan Martin and they could very well not even bring him. They still haven't won a Tour stage and I would guess that they will care more about that than about getting Vande Velde a seventh place rather than a ninth.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Duarte is doing Tour of Austria I believe. I really hope he comes back strong for the Vuelta

Anton is not riding until San Sebastian (I believe Nieve is doing the same schedule)

machado is already confirmed to lead RS along side with kloden in the vuelta. seems to be a good plan as he could learn a lot from kloden and kloden brings a lot more experience to the team then popovych (i doubt kloden would have said what popovych said to the press about machado)

i think michele will now rest and peak for the last 2 months of the season with the vuelta and the italian hilly classics

prolly the same for purito.

duarte will no doubt be on the vuelta. he was having a very good giro till he got hit by an injury.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ok so we know what a lot of the big riders at the Giro are doing next but not all.

Contador is doing the Tour next and then waits for his result and to see how tired he is.

Joining him in July will be Gadret, Kreuziger and Tiralongo all of whom will mainly be domestiquing / going for kom, stage wins, and Cav, Petacchi and Farrar from the sprinters. Right? Millar too presumably.

Nibali Anton Nieve Menchov, Arroyo for the Vuelta. Will they try anything in June while still on form maybe like some Giro riders do?

Gadret and Rujano have done their duties for the 2011 season. Well Rujano will be going back to South America for some races. But is he going to return for some of the late season Italian races or is his Androni time effectively over for the year?

But I am interested what the following are doing

Michelle Scaproni- Is he riding the Tour (obviously more for the experience of it) or saving himself for a challenge at the Vuelta. Its been a while since he has been able to look beyond the Giro. Or is he finishing what has been a very good season and maybe doing something in GDL

Joaquim Rodriguez -Hes going for a good gc in his home race right? Skipping the Tour?

Kiriyenka- Very interested to know what Vasily will be doing. Hopefully going for some epic stage wins in Vuelta.

Ventoso- Vuelta right?

Kruijswijk?

Svitsov?

Dupont?

Le Mevel - Tour team?

De Clerq? weening?

And some guys who didnt feature so much

Di Luca? Any idea what he will do.

Sastre- is he going to even bother

Duarte? Will he race in Europe? would be great to see him at the Vuelta.

Machado? Dont think hes in the Tour team so give it a try at the Vuelta or some lesser stage races?

Porte. Is he riding the Tour. Would be good for him to try Canadian and Italian Autumn one dayers imo.

I am pretty sure Joaquim Rodriguez is planning skip the tour to focus on veulta, but after not a so great Giro, maybe he wants to prove something in the tour, but that is very unlikely.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So who is showing up at TDF that WASN'T at the Giro? The stars that is.

Andy and Frank, of course, but who else? (A slight thread hijack, I admit.)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
JohnNordin said:
So who is showing up at TDF that WASN'T at the Giro? The stars that is.

Andy and Frank, of course, but who else? (A slight thread hijack, I admit.)

Samu, Gesink, Evans, The old Timers, Basso, Vino

to keep two little boys happy; VDB and Martin ;)

Pretty sure Menchov will not do anything untill the Vuelta. Porte i think is on a race against the clock to do the TDF. Kiryienka and Ventoso should try for the TDF as well, they can grab 2 stages at max maybe. Di Luca will be supersceeded by the all Russian Katusha ( all conquering team ) NAP. Svitsov will become part of Cav's train again and go stagehunting at any race he is at.

TRENDING THREADS