• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Status of Old Dopers

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting this thread so I can get an insight into where various suspended dopers are and/or what they are doing. Here is a list of cyclists whose current status I am curious about:

1. Iban Mayo: suspended from Saunier Duval in 2007
2. Christian Moreni: suspended from Cofidis in 2007
3. Moises Duenas: suspended from Barloworld in 2008
4. Mathias Kessler
5. Inigo Landeluze
6. Santiago Botero (Was on Rock Racing)
7. Thomas Dekker
8. Gabrielle Bosisio
9. Victor Hugo Pena (Was on Rock Racing)
10. Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Was on Rock Racing)
11. Josepa Beloki
12. Eddy Mazzoleni
13. Leonardo Pipepoli: suspended from Saunier Duval in 2008

Any info would be nice in order to satisfy my curiousity. :D

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Moreni was the one guy to actually pay the UCI the year's salary as punishment for getting caught doping. Since the CAS ruled this week that the UCI couldn't enforce that, and that Vino did not have to pay, it looks like Uncle Pat owes Moreni a refund.

Thomas Dekker is due back from suspension this summer, just before the start of the Tour. There have been rumors that he is going to Vacansoleil, but I'm not sure how true those rumors are.

abominablemark said:
I'm starting this thread so I can get an insight into where various suspended dopers are and/or what they are doing. Here is a list of cyclists whose current status I am curious about:

1. Iban Mayo: suspended from Saunier Duval in 2007
2. Christian Moreni: suspended from Cofidis in 2007
3. Moises Duenas: suspended from Barloworld in 2008
4. Mathias Kessler
5. Inigo Landeluze
6. Santiago Botero (Was on Rock Racing)
7. Thomas Dekker
8. Gabrielle Bosisio
9. Victor Hugo Pena (Was on Rock Racing)
10. Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Was on Rock Racing)
11. Josepa Beloki
12. Eddy Mazzoleni
13. Leonardo Pipepoli: suspended from Saunier Duval in 2008

4. Had a very serious cycling accident last year or early this. Survived but only just.
7. As Beech says, he's on his way back in 2011.
11. Has no intention of returning to racing. Worked as a consultant journalist on a GT this year.
12. Banned from being anywhere within courier pigeon distance of cycle races as the result of a criminal conviction.

The rest are still serving their time or are under the radar, to my knowledge. Moreni was involved in the fine appeal that Vino just won but I'm not clear how he ended up.

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
For a while I was hearing rumors that Kessler and Schumacher were both about to sign with Acqua and Sappone. But it seems that Schumacher is with Miche and Kessler is unknown,(poor guy). Also what is the status of Mikel Astarloza, I have heard whipsers that Euskatel might actually take him back. Might be a bit of mistake for the PR in my opinion, although I do believe that people deserve second chances.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
About Kessler, how is his recovery from the crash going on? I haven't seen any news since January

I heard a while back from a friend who knows him that he will have life long issues. He is still in bad shape. I will check with him for an update.

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
He's driving a truck. You would think he'd have enough money saved up, plus the celebrity status thrust on him in the Basque Country. Poor guy. He got 6th in the tour, plus won L'Alpe'd'Huez. Won the Dauphine Twice and and finished second once. And later won a giro stage then got 16th in the tour. What the heck happened???? Plus he is like only 33, Sastre is gonna be 36 next year and is again planning to ride all 3 grand tours. He could probably still ride if he came back, not for the GC obviously, but maybe for stage wins and the outside chance of winning the mountains classification in a Grand Tour. But if he is really driving a truck, something had to have gone seriously wrong.

abominablemark said:

6. Santiago Botero (Was on Rock Racing)7. Thomas Dekker
9. Victor Hugo Pena (Was on Rock Racing)10. Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Was on Rock Racing)

6- Santiago Botero: Is coaching now. the team is Orgullo Paisa. They won La Vuelta a Colombia with Sergio Luis Henao and Sevilla.

7- Victor Hugo Peña: Is riding with Cafe de Colombia team in Colombia. I don't know when they'll turn to a Continental squad.

Now I don't understand why you put Peña in the old doper’s category. I know that he raced with in the same team with LA but there have never been any allegations linked with Peña. I know he probably was doing something but honestly there is nothing against him legally. There never was.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
abominablemark said:
He's driving a truck. You would think he'd have enough money saved up, plus the celebrity status thrust on him in the Basque Country. Poor guy. He got 6th in the tour, plus won L'Alpe'd'Huez. Won the Dauphine Twice and and finished second once. And later won a giro stage then got 16th in the tour. What the heck happened???? Plus he is like only 33, Sastre is gonna be 36 next year and is again planning to ride all 3 grand tours. He could probably still ride if he came back, not for the GC obviously, but maybe for stage wins and the outside chance of winning the mountains classification in a Grand Tour. But if he is really driving a truck, something had to have gone seriously wrong.

Euh, hog said he's working for his family. What's wrong with that?

abominablemark said:

It's a family business. He likes it. He drove same said truck before he hit the pro scene. He crashed his truck when he was 21 and seriously hurt his leg. Armstrong road along side him and 2004 Tour and baited him about his leg. It was a fairly horrific accident as the truck caught fire also and his leg was stuck under the streering wheel. Just shows the class if Lance. Mayo actually ripped the cranks out of their sockets on the ventoux time trial in 2004. Still holds the record.

Piepoli

abominablemark said:
13. Leonardo Piepoli : suspended from Saunier Duval in 2008

I can't add anything new beyond whatPiepoli said to the Press in Jan. 2009 translated as:

"Don't dope because you'd trample on your conscience and dignity. Forever," he said.

Piepoli referred to himself as an "ex-cyclist," saying he will not be able to "pursue his dreams as a rider or as a coach in the future."
after being finally disqualified (aged 38) for 2 years by the Italian Nat Tribune for Antidoping.

I guess it's a quiet life for the Trullo Volante

thehog said:
It's a family business. He likes it. He drove same said truck before he hit the pro scene. He crashed his truck when he was 21 and seriously hurt his leg. Armstrong road along side him and 2004 Tour and baited him about his leg. It was a fairly horrific accident as the truck caught fire also and his leg was stuck under the streering wheel. Just shows the class if Lance. Mayo actually ripped the cranks out of their sockets on the ventoux time trial in 2004. Still holds the record.

Iban Mayo is a legend, he is quite peculiar, he never attepted to come back, he likes going out, he still has alife ahead!!!!! Gora Iban!!!!
surprised about the book, will be a best-seller, as a fanboy I think I will get it

BTW, this thread is not so good! specially when there is someone like Beloki mentionned, he retired ages ago!!!!!, he is involved in cycling, writing, consulting, organizing cyclosportifs, directing cafes baqué, who said he was on doping? he never got a ban or sanction....

Dueñas came back in July of '09, rode for elite amateur team Supermercados Froiz. There were rumours of a pact of some sort in that in exchange for information he gave the Spanish authorities would help him find a pro team for 2010. Xacobeo-Galicia were regularly mooted but the sponsors vetoed it.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Aguirre said:
BTW, this thread is not so good! specially when there is someone like Beloki mentionned, he retired ages ago!!!!!, he is involved in cycling, writing, consulting, organizing cyclosportifs, directing cafes baqué, who said he was on doping? he never got a ban or sanction....

I was wondering the same thing..I believe the thread meant to be dopers who got caught cause all pro cyclists are juiced but Beloki never got caught as far as I am concern..

As for cyclists retiring and living modest lifes, what else do you expect guys? how much you think these guys make? can tell you from personal experience that a lot of job offers on smaller pro teams are basically "pay to ride"

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
I was wondering the same thing..I believe the thread meant to be dopers who got caught cause all pro cyclists are juiced but Beloki never got caught as far as I am concern..

I'd say he was caught--just not prosecuted:
Document 28 referred to Joseba Beloki with notes of HMG-Lepori, IGF-1, testosterone patches, growth hormone, EPO and anabolic steroids in coordination with the programming of blood extractions and replacements.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:

As for cyclists retiring and living modest lifes, what else do you expect guys? how much you think these guys make? can tell you from personal experience that a lot of job offers on smaller pro teams are basically "pay to ride"

Beloki may never have been caught, but neither have many other suspects.

Dumping it on a corner, resulting in multiple pelvic fractures, doesn't help you look good if you're apparently a robust athlete.

Aguirre said:
Iban Mayo is a legend, he is quite peculiar, he never attepted to come back, he likes going out, he still has alife ahead!!!!! Gora Iban!!!!
surprised about the book, will be a best-seller, as a fanboy I think I will get it

What, is there a book of Mayo available somewhere? Or is it only in the planning?

I thought besides driving a truck he also owned/worked in a small restaurant. Can anyone confirm that? He also writes columns sometimes for DEIA, especially during the Tour and Pais Vasco. Normally he writes a sort of preview after checking out the stage himself, together with the likes of Laiseka. Took him a year though to get back on track after his suspension.

Last thing I saw from him is a youtube where he laughs his *** off after being asked about EPO because he can't be bothered to answer.

As for Landaluze, I know he stopped for good, but don't know what he is doing now.

Hog, where did you get that info about the truck crash of Iban and the subsequent Lance story?

TourOfSardinia said:
I can't add anything new beyond whatPiepoli said to the Press in Jan. 2009 translated as:

after being finally disqualified (aged 38) for 2 years by the Italian Nat Tribune for Antidoping.

I guess it's a quiet life for the Trullo Volante
Wow, Piepoli... "a mistake"... "a moment of weakness"... This from one of the most egregious superchargers in one of the most egregious supercharger teams in recent history.

Arnout said:
What, is there a book of Mayo available somewhere? Or is it only in the planning?

I thought besides driving a truck he also owned/worked in a small restaurant. Can anyone confirm that? He also writes columns sometimes for DEIA, especially during the Tour and Pais Vasco. Normally he writes a sort of preview after checking out the stage himself, together with the likes of Laiseka. Took him a year though to get back on track after his suspension.

Last thing I saw from him is a youtube where he laughs his *** off after being asked about EPO because he can't be bothered to answer.

As for Landaluze, I know he stopped for good, but don't know what he is doing now.

Hog, where did you get that info about the truck crash of Iban and the subsequent Lance story?

is the Hog who said about Mayo's truck accident and Lance, not me, back to that youtube video, that's very funny, in fact the interviewer makes a joke with EPO (difficult to explain if you don't know spanish) and Mayo starts laughting as mad, considering they are drinking some Rhum&Coke...

TRENDING THREADS