• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Storing an expensive bike in a major city

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm moving into a small flat soon and the only place to keep my bike is chained up outside to some railings. It's a relatively discreet black Trek Road Bike but I'm concerned it'll gather some interest/rust quite sharpish. Does anyone have any bright ideas? i've thought of approaching neighbouring basement flat owners and offering them a bit of money to store it there?
Any wise words appreciated.

Girdler84 said:
I'm moving into a small flat soon and the only place to keep my bike is chained up outside to some railings. It's a relatively discreet black Trek Road Bike but I'm concerned it'll gather some interest/rust quite sharpish. Does anyone have any bright ideas? i've thought of approaching neighbouring basement flat owners and offering them a bit of money to store it there?
Any wise words appreciated.

Get it inside and hang it on the wall, or by a hook from the ceiling. Make room. Don't leave it outside.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Even if they leave the frame the parts that can be stolen with a 5 mm allen key and a pair of wire cutters.
Never leave a good bike locked up for long and never in the same place too often. They strip cheap bikes bare regularly and a good bike is just a bonus.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
A few years ago, when I was living in a small, 20m^2 studio apartment, my bike decorated my wall. There are plenty of bike hanging solutions out there already and you can even design your own. Just make sure you use proper screw plugs/wall anchors as you don't want you bike to come crashing down. Given the relatively low weight of bikes, you can even hang them on hollow walls using hollow wall anchors.*)

*) Please do check the specifications of the wall, the anchors and your bike before attempting to do something like this. If necessary, consult someone for your specific situation.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
+1 on posts #2, 3 & 4.

Think outside the box; for example could you elevate your bed by the height of your bike and thus create large storage volume.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Yup - all will agree - inside - behind locked doors. And a garage or unattended space is not as cool either. If it opens to the outside. If it is a storage space in the cellar - behind a locked door there, and a locked front door - that would be good.

Tall ceilings? Hang it from the ceiling with pulleys and ropes. Or wall hangers - as prev noted.

Outside on the apt patio - only if you are 3+ stories up.

Of course, all of this depends on your neighborhood. For instance, when I was a young man, I lived in a town where some local kids took some pride in lifting stuff from multi-story apt patios. On the other hand, you could usually leave your front door unlocked in that town and not worry about theft.

But city life? If they steal bicycles at all, heed the advice previously given. It is good advice.

Easiest way is an old set of drop bars and a stem. Bolts right onto the wall/ceiling and holds the bike well. Pick the right length stem and you won't even have to take the pedals off.

Again, I agree with everyone else. Get it inside. There will be space, you just need to get creative :)