• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Strade Bianche 2024, March 2, one-day classic (men's)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I will have to check but your description of the 8 top races doesn’t fit what I’m remember going back to the ‘80s. Gent was just as big or bigger race than Flèche, and Championships of Zurich were also close to that level.
In the 80's yes, they're maybe close, but I would still give the edge to Fleche in that period. Fleche Wallonne was included in Desgrange Colombo right from the start (3 years before Liege), and since then always been a part of premium cycling competitions, until beginning of the World Cup in 1989. Gent on the other hand, although had great roll of honor, wasn't included in Super Prestige Pernod until 1980. Later, same as Fleche, wasn't part of the World Cup, but from 2005 both races were in the World Tour, and I would say that today they're pretty equal in prestige and significance.
Zurich was mainly domestic affair up until mid 60's, with some flashes right after the WWII when Bartali and Coppi attended. In the 70's race was held mid-week in May after Frankfurt, and gained some quality field. From 1979 race was included in SPP, and then it's significance rose, especially after date was moved to mid August in 1988 and from next year was part of the World Cup. In that period you could say that Zurich was bigger race then both Fleche and Gent.

World is not ready for blonde Pogacar

GHcwnFPWIAAegNg

GHcwn3_XIAAsnCu

View: https://twitter.com/klusmaan/status/1762918669863055776

In the 80's yes, they're maybe close, but I would still give the edge to Fleche in that period. Fleche Wallonne was included in Desgrange Colombo right from the start (3 years before Liege), and since then always been a part of premium cycling competitions, until beginning of the World Cup in 1989. Gent on the other hand, although had great roll of honor, wasn't included in Super Prestige Pernod until 1980. Later, same as Fleche, wasn't part of the World Cup, but from 2005 both races were in the World Tour, and I would say that today they're pretty equal in prestige and significance.
Zurich was mainly domestic affair up until mid 60's, with some flashes right after the WWII when Bartali and Coppi attended. In the 70's race was held mid-week in May after Frankfurt, and gained some quality field. From 1979 race was included in SPP, and then it's significance rose, especially after date was moved to mid August in 1988 and from next year was part of the World Cup. In that period you could say that Zurich was bigger race then both Fleche and Gent.
SPP is of course a very French perspective (relevant for G-W vs. F-W). And if Paris-Tours suffered from routes changes, I'd assume that Flèche suffered too from a lack of identity. No Mur until the 80's, constantly changing start and finish before then.

SPP is of course a very French perspective (relevant for G-W vs. F-W). And if Paris-Tours suffered from routes changes, I'd assume that Flèche suffered too from a lack of identity. No Mur until the 80's, constantly changing start and finish before then.
Interesting comments by Dan Lloyd on GCN.
Seems we or anyone else wants to call a race a monument and it gains traction we create one, there is no official recognition by UCI.
The points increase this year is the first time there has been even any oblique recognition,

Interesting comments by Dan Lloyd on GCN.
Seems we or anyone else wants to call a race a monument and it gains traction we create one, there is no official recognition by UCI.
The points increase this year is the first time there has been even any oblique recognition,
I think credence needs to given to linguistics here: monument in English, is from the French “monument” of the same spelling, from the Latin root monere = to remind. Varying definitions have in common age or history and commemoration.
“An enduring thing, especially a thing that by its survival commemorates a person, action, period, or event.” Also “A thing surviving as a symbol of or witness to a process or activity.”
Obviously the language of cycling culture changes meanings from common usage; regardless the key elements are that is old, or commemorates the past, and that it doesn’t need to mean “the absolute best”.